Chapala.com Webboard

Tio Corp Car Importation?

As reported elsewhere on this board, TioCorp is no longer offering this.

The comment elsewhere states that Tiocorp has indicated that the amparo was apparently a scam. Tiocorp is reported as saying, “the losses and embarrassment in this case are significant. Tiocorp is proud of its excellent reputation in our community and feels a tremendous shame allowing itself to become a sales agency for what may prove to be nothing more than a scam and professional sting operation. We sincerely apologize."

As reported elsewhere on this board, TioCorp is no longer offering this.

The comment elsewhere states that Tiocorp has indicated that the amparo was apparently a scam. Tiocorp is reported as saying, “the losses and embarrassment in this case are significant. Tiocorp is proud of its excellent reputation in our community and feels a tremendous shame allowing itself to become a sales agency for what may prove to be nothing more than a scam and professional sting operation. We sincerely apologize."

In the current Guadalajara Reporter they are still advertising importing of vehicles.

Is TIoCorp importing vehicles using some new legal process?

TioCorp had to stop their previous import efforts, because they say the Amparo they claimed to use, never existed. They say they lost over $100,000 USD of their previous client's deposits. They have not been returning those client's phone calls or emails for the past 2 weeks.

TioCorp had to stop their previous import efforts, because they say the Amparo they claimed to use, never existed. They say they lost over $100,000 USD of their previous client's deposits. They have not been returning those client's phone calls or emails for the past 2 weeks.

IF that amount is correct , I hope they have good insurance to cover the loss

As far as I can tell TioCorp is not offering any services for importing foreign plated vehicles. The fact that there is an ad in the Reporter is, I suspect, because they paid for a month's advertising. Presumably these will stop soon.

I would not trust anyone or any firm who says they can nationalize a foreign plated vehicle. That said, I understand there may be one honest individual who may be able to do this legally. I am waiting to hear the results from someone I know who is using him.

I wonder if anyone from this forum lost money to Tiocorp's scam.

both were told the Amparo was still in effect and Tio was working to get new broker. the folks are travelling now.... hoping to come back to a nationalized car

Didn't President Pena sign a law making Amparos like this illegal which would make this imaginary Amparo illegal? I think Tio wrote that they are out of the nationalizing business and they got scammed by this so called broker and his claim of an Amparo.

Have they received any pe$o$ from TioCorp, or is it just another claim? The people we know have only received many promises, but no $$. One day, Reg Cyr is supposedly too busy to answer, then the next day Reg is "in Canada". ???

Who is Reg Cyr? Tio Corp's owner? Just curious..

Reg Cyr is a principal at TioCorp. There are other past Chapala.com posts referring to him.

TioCorp's curious business practices continue in other areas. TioCorp has copied and pasted entire parts of Yucalandia.com's articles and Yucalandia's English translations of Mexican Aduana and INM law, presenting the information as TioCorp content. Funny, deceptive or pitiful?

Read TioCorp's webpages on the Aduana rules for importing cars and on SAT and Aduana TIP regulations, which are word-for-word copies of Yucalandia,com 's Importing an Driving a Car in Mexico article sections on these things.

Here is some news.

Some of these posts are so dead wrong, it is shameful. I visited TioCorp and picked up my refund and went over everything with them. I've talked to a few others who have their refunds as well, so the news is - TioCorp is not the problem. Every time I read blogs like this, it makes me wonder. We should be talking about the scam artist who took advantage of all of us, not beating up Tio Insurance.

It went down like this... a client of Tio discovered an opportunity to import his "J" vehicle through an import agency in Guadalajara. He told Tio about it and suggested they investigate the opportunity for all clients. TioCorp did that and held a meeting with the import agent, the "J" client and Mark Turford who has imported vehicles into Lakeside for years. After that meeting, Mark Turford and Tio started to import vehicles through the Guad agency.

The scam was revealed when Tio received some pedimentos and were found to be fake. One client took the fake pedimento to the validation center and was detained for driving their car there with the expired window sticker. The fake pedimento wasn't the big problem, it was driving with a temporary window sticker while having permanent status. It turned out to be a big mess. The client called Tio and they immediately hired and sent Spencer McMullen to Guadalajara to deal with it at their expense. That sounds like a good company to me. Tio immediately stopped taking deposits but unfortunately had already transferred the deposits they had to the import agent. Tio had sent us an explanation of the entire situation and I have to say that they are trying to do the right thing. This will cost them dearly to try to cover even part of what the scam artist did to them and to us. The deposits went to the scam artist but Reg Cyr is trying to pay back out of his own account. Tiocorp has hired Spencer McMullen who seems to always be on this board to try and track down the culprit...good luck with that. I doubt that TioCorp will see any recovery.

I also learned that Mark Turford who is known to many of us at Lakeside was similarly scammed by the same company so it isn't all Tio.

So the news is...TioCorp is responding to us and they are attempting to payback at least half of what we lost to a real scam artist...Mr. Andres Gonzalez Hernandez of Gestoria Vehicular de Occidente in Guadalajara which is where our deposits went. Check out his website...still up and running. (There is something wrong with the Mexico legal system that allows a know felon to run free. There is something wrong with us for throwing stones at the wrong peope in our blogs.)

Two different individuals sent emails to TioCorp by March 24, 2013, identifying and describing the problems with the TioCorp fake pedimento. TioCorp continued to take foreigners deposits for 3 more weeks, after they were notified of the fake pedimento. It is possible that 2 separate people have manufactured fake emails to TioCorp, but both of these individuals also published contemporaneous public posts on Mexconnect on March 22, and March 23, 2013 describing the problems with TioCorp's fake pedimento. http://www.mexconnect.com/cgi-bin/forums/gforum.cgi?post=187895;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

Reg Cyr of TioCorp wrote a May 3 reply to one of those public posters, saying: " I wish you had sent that before we began sending the deposits to the agency. " Reg Cyr's email's claimed timeline is off by about a month from the facts published publicly on Mexconnect in March. Personal emails sent from Reg Cry's personal account that conflict with public web forum postings are difficult to ignore.

Why didn't Tio hire Spencer or someone like him to investigate the broker before getting into bed with him? I know someone who was planning to use Tio to nationalize a vehicle and I said I thought it was a scam a few months ago. I'm glad my friend didn't invest or lose any money in this. If I was suspicious of it I don't know why a company like Tio wasn't suspicious enough to investigate first.

Why didn't Tio hire Spencer or someone like him to investigate the broker before getting into bed with him? I know someone who was planning to use Tio to nationalize a vehicle and I said I thought it was a scam a few months ago. I'm glad my friend didn't invest or lose any money in this. If I was suspicious of it I don't know why a company like Tio wasn't suspicious enough to investigate first.

I do not think that Spencer wears a special investigators hat ...Yet

Here is some news.

Some of these posts are so dead wrong, it is shameful. I visited TioCorp and picked up my refund and went over everything with them. I've talked to a few others who have their refunds as well, so the news is - TioCorp is not the problem. Every time I read blogs like this, it makes me wonder. We should be talking about the scam artist who took advantage of all of us, not beating up Tio Insurance.

It went down like this... a client of Tio discovered an opportunity to import his "J" vehicle through an import agency in Guadalajara. He told Tio about it and suggested they investigate the opportunity for all clients. TioCorp did that and held a meeting with the import agent, the "J" client and Mark Turford who has imported vehicles into Lakeside for years. After that meeting, Mark Turford and Tio started to import vehicles through the Guad agency.

The scam was revealed when Tio received some pedimentos and were found to be fake. One client took the fake pedimento to the validation center and was detained for driving their car there with the expired window sticker. The fake pedimento wasn't the big problem, it was driving with a temporary window sticker while having permanent status. It turned out to be a big mess. The client called Tio and they immediately hired and sent Spencer McMullen to Guadalajara to deal with it at their expense. That sounds like a good company to me. Tio immediately stopped taking deposits but unfortunately had already transferred the deposits they had to the import agent. Tio had sent us an explanation of the entire situation and I have to say that they are trying to do the right thing. This will cost them dearly to try to cover even part of what the scam artist did to them and to us. The deposits went to the scam artist but Reg Cyr is trying to pay back out of his own account. Tiocorp has hired Spencer McMullen who seems to always be on this board to try and track down the culprit...good luck with that. I doubt that TioCorp will see any recovery.

I also learned that Mark Turford who is known to many of us at Lakeside was similarly scammed by the same company so it isn't all Tio.

So the news is...TioCorp is responding to us and they are attempting to payback at least half of what we lost to a real scam artist...Mr. Andres Gonzalez Hernandez of Gestoria Vehicular de Occidente in Guadalajara which is where our deposits went. Check out his website...still up and running. (There is something wrong with the Mexico legal system that allows a know felon to run free. There is something wrong with us for throwing stones at the wrong peope in our blogs.)

"...Check out his website...still up and running. ... There is something wrong with us for throwing stones at the wrong peope in our blogs. "

I just checked-out the TioCorp webpages on Importing Vehicles http://www.tiocorpinsurance.com/index.cfm/importing-vehicles-into-mexico/ and

Who Can Drive Your Car in Mexico http://www.tiocorpinsurance.com/index.cfm/driving-in-mexico/article-106/

and

Yucalandia's Importing & Driving a Car in Mexico article at http://yucalandia.com/driving-in-mexico-issues-fun/importing-driving-a-car-in-mexico/ .

TioCorp has definitely copied Yucalandia's original article's text and published it as original TioCorp text.

TioCorp has plaigerised Yucalandia.com and given no credit to Yucalandia, ignoring Yucalandia's claims of copyright on every page on their site.

Who is throwing stones at the wrong people ?

Who continued to take customer deposits for weeks after being formally notified by 2 separate individuals of problems with the TioCorp fake pedimento?

Who is publishing several pages of copyrighted material as their own original content?

I do not think that Spencer wears a special investigators hat ...Yet

I think Spencer has the where with all to look into something or they could have hired some other attorney who can look at a business deal before a company jumps into it exposing itself and its customers to substantial losses.

From what Spencer has written here I think he has a suspicious enough nature and he does know a few Federal judges are other knowledgeable people in Guadalajara. Most businesses hire someone to do due diligence before they get involved in a deal especially something as fishy as this deal was.

"...Check out his website...still up and running. ... There is something wrong with us for throwing stones at the wrong peope in our blogs. "

I just checked-out the TioCorp webpages on Importing Vehicles http://www.tiocorpinsurance.com/index.cfm/importing-vehicles-into-mexico/ and

Who Can Drive Your Car in Mexico http://www.tiocorpinsurance.com/index.cfm/driving-in-mexico/article-106/

and

Yucalandia's Importing & Driving a Car in Mexico article at http://yucalandia.com/driving-in-mexico-issues-fun/importing-driving-a-car-in-mexico/ .

TioCorp has definitely copied Yucalandia's original article's text and published it as original TioCorp text.

TioCorp has plaigerised Yucalandia.com and given no credit to Yucalandia, ignoring Yucalandia's claims of copyright on every page on their site.

Who is throwing stones at the wrong people ?

Who continued to take customer deposits for weeks after being formally notified by 2 separate individuals of problems with the TioCorp fake pedimento?

Who is publishing several pages of copyrighted material as their own original content?

Yucalandia copyrighted material on its website? That's funny. Was it copyrighted in the U.S. or Mexico?

Tio made the choice to promote nationalizing vehicles and wanted to make money doing it. Tio made a bad decision but none of us would have ever heard of this deal had it not been for Tio promoting it. For Tio to whine that like us Tio was taken advantage of is ludicrous.

Yucalandia copyrighted material on its website? That's funny. Was it copyrighted in the U.S. or Mexico?

Tio made the choice to promote nationalizing vehicles and wanted to make money doing it. Tio made a bad decision but none of us would have ever heard of this deal had it not been for Tio promoting it. For Tio to whine that like us Tio was taken advantage of is ludicrous.

Interesting but misleading point. Copyrights are a legal concept, not a document or certificate. New works are legally copyrighted simply by publishing them.

Since Mexico, the USA, and Canada have agreed to copyright protections, all new written works published in Canada, USA or Mexico automatically are the copyrighted property of the author. People with a stronger desire for additional protection can register their copyright with their government, like with the Library of Congress for US works. Typically, the duration of a modern copyright is the life of the creator plus 50-100 hundred years from the creator's death.

Using the " © " symbol is no longer necessary, but an author clearly identifies their intent to identify their writings as original work by adding the © symbol to their work.

My apologies for going off-topic. Copyright protections are worthwhile, beneficial, and worth explaining, especially when we are writing things, like on this web-forum, which is why I described TioCorp's illegal copying of Yucalandia's material as yet another questionable practice in that other post. Which takes us back to questionable practices and the core of this thread.

http://www.wipo.int/export/sites/www/freepublications/en/intproperty/909/wipo_pub_909.pdf

I doubt anyone cares about Steve's or your copyright complaints.

Interesting but misleading point. Copyrights are a legal concept, not a document or certificate. New works are legally copyrighted simply by publishing them.

Archived