Chapala.com Webboard

How to nationalize a car at GDL airport

A Mexican friend our ours who holds US and Mexican passports and is a licensed tour/travel operator by the Mexican government has nationalized cars for years and says the ONLY legal way to nationalize is to do it at the border with your car. He does it all for $2000 US and takes the car himself or you can go with him. It takes 3 days with travel time and then when he is back, it is at least 3 hours at customs at GDL where you will get your plates. Who knows any of this for sure, but he is a guy we trust.

They issue Jalisco plates at the aduana at GDL?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And, regardless of having dual citizenship, it is illegal for that guy, a Mexican while in Mexico, to drive your foreign plated car without you in the passenger seat.

Tolo many errors in that post; do not listen to heresay and take a chance on losing your car or even arrest.

And, regardless of having dual citizenship, it is illegal for that guy, a Mexican while in Mexico, to drive your foreign plated car without you in the passenger seat.

Tolo many errors in that post; do not listen to heresay and take a chance on losing your car or even arrest.

He is on our insurance and is allowed to drive our car. For others, he has a special permit which I can't remember the name in Spanish.

The Aduana Law and conditions of your Importada Temporal prohibit a Mexican from driving your foreign plated car without the importer aboard. I know of no peermits which would exempt you from that condition.

The Aduana Law and conditions of your Importada Temporal prohibit a Mexican from driving your foreign plated car without the importer aboard. I know of no peermits which would exempt you from that condition.

He is coming to our house this afternoon and I will ask him what permit he has. His main job is driving people's cars back and forth to and from Mexico . He is always busy as there are lots of people who don't want to make the trip. They fly and he drives their car. I will post further after we speak with him today.

Further to my post above, we have had our car insurance with Parker for 7 years and they are aware that he drives our car and he is listed as a driver. When he takes our car, we give him written notarized permission for crossing the border. He has driven our car and cars of several friends back and forth for years. There has never been a problem.

The Aduana Law and conditions of your Importada Temporal prohibit a Mexican from driving your foreign plated car without the importer aboard. I know of no peermits which would exempt you from that conditio

You can, apparently, do it if you have a Secure Return (English Translation) document. For example, if I want to take my foreign plated car to the border (and I have a permanente INM card] I can obtain that document to remove the car. Why couldn't the Mexican/American driver accompany me to remove the car? That is a scernario that has occured many times when a family member comes to remove a car from Mexico, when a parent dies. They often hire a Mexican driver to remove the car from the country.

Also, isn't it true that if a dual citizen is a resident of the US, he can temporarilty import a foreign car and drive it in Mexico? I am pretty certain that my neighbor had a Son from California drive up for a visit and he had a TIP. Maybe its more complicated than we understand.

I am guessing you can get permission, when you obtain the document to remove your car from Mexico, that you can have a Mexican driver assist you. I am going to check. I will let you know.

Further to my post above, we have had our car insurance with Parker for 7 years and they are aware that he drives our car and he is listed as a driver. When he takes our car, we give him written notarized permission for crossing the border. He has driven our car and cars of several friends back and forth for years. There has never been a problem.

I went to a Notario, with friends, to obtain a similar document. And I know who you are talking about and I know he does get the Secure Removal document from the SAT office for some of these jobs.

I went to a Notario, with friends, to obtain a similar document. And I know who you are talking about and I know he does get the Secure Removal document from the SAT office for some of these jobs.

Yes, you are right, Val. That is the name of the document. Thanks

http://www.aduanas.gob.mx/aduana_mexico/2008/vehiculos/141_10174.html

Anyone who is convinced this can be done at the airport might want to consider what Aduana says on their own webpage, the first item #1. So you might want to ask whomever you engage to do this if the information on the Aduana webpage is incorrect, or if the law has been changed and just not reflected on the webpage.

Also, isn't it true that if a dual citizen is a resident of the US, he can temporarilty import a foreign car and drive it in Mexico? I am pretty certain that my neighbor had a Son from California drive up for a visit and he had a TIP. Maybe its more complicated than we understand.

I am guessing you can get permission, when you obtain the document to remove your car from Mexico, that you can have a Mexican driver assist you. I am going to check. I will let you know.

When a dual citizen crosses the border he becomes a citizen of the country he entered. If he is in Mexico, he cannot use the U.S. Embassy because he is a Mexican citizen. If he is a Mexican citizen, he cannot get a legal TIP for a vehicle. I know Mexicans who do it but when in Mexico they are Mexicans not U.S. citizens. In the U.S., they cannot use the Mexican Consulate because they are U.S. citizens.

Anyone who is convinced this can be done at the airport might want to consider what Aduana says on their own webpage, the first item #1. So you might want to ask whomever you engage to do this if the information on the Aduana webpage is incorrect, or if the law has been changed and just not reflected on the webpage.

I have trouble understanding Google Translates. I think I am reading that it must be regularized through a customs broker and customs brokers are at the airport so why can't a customs broker at the airport regularize a vehicle?

That is an interesting line. However, every car that goes to the border is a TIP car and appearantly you do not have to cross the border to do it. There must be a way around it.

As a side point, a friend of mine just got his permanente in Miami and has 30 days to get it finalized in MX. At the border they gave him a TIP and told him it was legal as long as his visa was in effect. I doubt that but that is what he was told.

This whole thing is a mess.

That is an interesting line. However, every car that goes to the border is a TIP car and appearantly you do not have to cross the border to do it. There must be a way around it.

As a side point, a friend of mine just got his permanente in Miami and has 30 days to get it finalized in MX. At the border they gave him a TIP and told him it was legal as long as his visa was in effect. I doubt that but that is what he was told.

This whole thing is a mess.

Yes. I have read that however they are talking about the 30 day visa that a Mexican consulate attaches inside your passport which gives you 30 days to report to your local INM office. Once you have completed the tramite to Residente Permanente and you receive your INM card the TIP is invalid.

Jim that is exactly what Aduana has told my wife several times. Did he get a 30 day TIP and if so I wonder how he extends it within Mexico?

Her notes:April 11, 2013

1:25 today I called Aduana 01 55 58 02 0000 ext 61361. I spoke in Spanish with Mariana Gonzalez, Operaciones Aduanera. She clearly stated using my example, a foreign plated car and Permanent Resident. The call was about 5 minutes. Mariana clearly stated if Permanent Resident and legally in Mexico, car is legal and in no way can it be confiscated.

I was directed to:

http://www.aduanas.sat.gob.mx/aduana_mexico/2008/vehiculos/141_10028.html

Which in two steps led to:

http://www.aduanas.sat.gob.mx/aduana_mexico/2008/vehiculos/141_11213.html

Then print out and carry in your car along with the phone number above:

Para extranjeros

El plazo que se otorga para retornar los vehículos es el de la vigencia de la calidad migratoria, sus prórrogas, ampliaciones, refrendos o cambio en la calidad migratoria de no inmigrante a inmigrante rentista, siempre y cuando exista continuidad en las calidades migratorias otorgadas, conforme la Ley de la materia; por lo que la vigencia del permiso de importación temporal del vehículo se podrá acreditar con el documento oficial que emita la autoridad migratoria, sin que se requiera autorización de las autoridades aduaneras.

On the web page bottom right gives the revision date and then says it is current.

If anyone is doubt simply call Aduana and ask vs endless debates that we typically read.

I have trouble understanding Google Translates. I think I am reading that it must be regularized through a customs broker and customs brokers are at the airport so why can't a customs broker at the airport regularize a vehicle?

The interesting part is about the temporary import. Don't know if that means TIP or not.

I'm going to go try it. If it all goes wrong, you may have to get up bail money and come get me.

All I want to do is obey the law (which doesn't seem to exist) and find a way to do it (which seems to be in debate also)

Pretty sad situation.........

No podrán ser regularizadas las mercancías en los siguientes casos:
1. Cuando haya ingresado bajo el régimen de importación temporal.

Joco, this is what I was referring to and the translation to the best of my ability is:

You cannot regularize merchandise in the following cases:

1. When it has be brought in under the regimen of a temporary import.

Now the reason you do not have to cross the border if you do it there is you turn in the TIP first at the border, get your comprobante de retorno for the TIP, and then go visit the agente aduanal of your choice.

So maybe at the airport the TIP somehow get removed first in which case you should get the comprobante de retorno. But then you probably should not drive the car until you get the Jalisco plates just to be safe. But then I would be skeptical about the whole process. TGIBAJPV in August of last year. lol.

JRM if you decide you have to go to the border I'll go with you just to cover your back.

I have no desire to drive for 2 days if I can avoid it.

My compadre filed today at the airport. They told him 4-6 weeks and gave him paperwork showing it was in process.

Driving that Jeep to the border and back would kill Superman........

I have no desire to drive for 2 days if I can avoid it.

My compadre filed today at the airport. They told him 4-6 weeks and gave him paperwork showing it was in process.

Driving that Jeep to the border and back would kill Superman........

I'm very pleased you posted this info- I've been the one saying we can do this at the airport for months- s/o having been in importing and exporting from Mexico for 7 years - many things can be accomplished at airports or shipping ports that does not require a trip to the border-----Please continue to post your progress

I know Mexicans who lived in the US and brought back new cars- they were originally told they had to return to the border every 6 months because the law was different for them- now have nationalized plates in Jalisco- and they did it at the airport with a customs broker- but have not found anyone who's done it recently and can remember the process sufficiently. even my gardener who had calif. plates on his old pickup now has Jalisco plates

There are a lot of crooks in this business but I belive there might be one or two honest people. I know someone who is probably going to use one. It involves taking the vehicle to customs in Guadalajara (the sirport, I assume) along with the paperwork described by the OP. I recommended that before he pays the broker that he check two websites:

The Aduana website to see if the VIN number is recorded showing that the vehicle has been legitimately imported. If it's not there then you have fake papers or they paid the fee then canceled it. The website can be accessed through:

http://www.aduanas.sat.gob.mx/soianet/oia_consultarap_cep.aspx

Also, do a search through the Secretaria de Seguridad Publica when you get the new plates to make sure they're not stolen.

www2.repuve.gob.mx:8080/ciudadania/servletconsulta

I also have a question. Vehicles registered in Canadian provinces (leastways, Ontario) do not have "titles" only the vehicle registration certificate issued by the Ministry of Transport. Someone has suggested that is not adequate for the Mexican authorities. This means it might be impossible to legally nationalize an Ontario plated vehicle. Does anyone have any information on this?

There are a lot of crooks in this business but I belive there might be one or two honest people. I know someone who is probably going to use one. It involves taking the vehicle to customs in Guadalajara (the sirport, I assume) along with the paperwork described by the OP. I recommended that before he pays the broker that he check two websites:

The Aduana website to see if the VIN number is recorded showing that the vehicle has been legitimately imported. If it's not there then you have fake papers or they paid the fee then canceled it. The website can be accessed through:

http://www.aduanas.sat.gob.mx/soianet/oia_consultarap_cep.aspx

Also, do a search through the Secretaria de Seguridad Publica when you get the new plates to make sure they're not stolen.

www2.repuve.gob.mx:8080/ciudadania/servletconsulta

I also have a question. Vehicles registered in Canadian provinces (leastways, Ontario) do not have "titles" only the vehicle registration certificate issued by the Ministry of Transport. Someone has suggested that is not adequate for the Mexican authorities. This means it might be impossible to legally nationalize an Ontario plated vehicle. Does anyone have any information on this?

The best thing to do would be to go by the airport and talk to one of the brokers. If it is NAFTA made, they will know what to do.

When I was in business, I found the Canadian Customs to be the worst to deal with. We built custom equipment and bought components worldwide. Canada had a weird system of different fees and we had to break each machine down and detail costs. They were a real pain.

Archived