Chapala.com Webboard

Federal Police Now Checking For Foreign-Plated Cars with Expired TIPs

From Mexconnect:

"For the first time ever, we (I was driving) were pulled over by of all things a Federale and asked to justify our expired TIP. It was outside of Customs near the Puerto Vallarta airport at about 7:30 pm(Monday, Feb. 24th)

First he asked me if I spoke Spanish, and I said yes. He then asked for my driver´s licence which is Canadian. He then asked me if I had a Mexican driver´s licence. I said "no" and he winced. I then told him I didn´t need one since mine was current. (According to Article 38 of the Jalisco traffic laws, all you need is a current driver´s licence from anywhere).

He then asked us about the expired TIP (car permit) sticker on our window. I then pulled out my never-before-needed copy of the Ley Aduanera, which, includes Article 106, explaining we can legally use our cars. He then said a remarkable thing (I´m paraphrasing and also, obviously, translating).

"This is Aduana´s law. I´m Federale. Aduana´s law has nothing to do with us.

We are told to take anyone to Aduana with an expired TIP and then they will give a very large multa"

I then said very politely, something like "No. Bajo protesta de decir verdad, este vehiculo es legal. Es muy probable que este ley vaya a cambiar, pero ya no ha cambiado, (Basically, "I swear, this vehicle is legal. It´s very probable this law is going to change, but now, it hasn´t changed).

He then said something to the effect that he didn´t want to impound the vehicle this particular evening and I could go. I then said "Que le vaya bien" and he said "Igualmente"

What I´m doing is printing out a new copy of the law where right there on the first page, it says a big red "Vigente" and that the last revision was April 2012. Here´s the link.

http://www.diputados.gob.mx/LeyesBiblio/pdf/12.pdf"
===============================================

Looks like there are Federales who are being tasked with finding gringos with Residente Permanentes who are driving foreign plated TIP cars, and these police are not feeling very charitable.

No, it's only a couple of pages, I have Spencer's "package" with Aduana stamps etc. and it contains the relevant pages and I just hand them the hole thing and wait for them to read, generally they get to about page 2 or 3 and hand it back with a smile. They're looking for people who are NOT legal, not the vast majority of us who ARE legal. Try this link http://intercasafs.com/Driving.pdf and about page 3 it mentions Article 106, that's what you're looking for. It's also being discussed on TOB so you might pick it up there.

Print the first page, to highlight the Name of the Law and the 2012 date. Then print Articulo 106 Fracc. 4. It bridges pp 60 and 61.

If you want both English and Spanish language versions, Yucalandia.com has it. Their "Importing and Driving a Car in Mexico" article lists it in the Table of Contents buttons under IMPORTANT RULES FOR OPERATING FOREIGN PLATED CARS IN MEXICO: Article 106 at http://yucalandia.com/driving-in-mexico-issues-fun/importing-driving-a-car-in-mexico/#IMPORTANT%20RULES%20FOR%20OPERATING%20FOREIGN%20PLATED%20CARS%20IN%20MEXICO

If you want to show the DOF letterhead, print the 3 key pages from the DOF, and also print out the English version from Yucalandia to keep in the car for you to read in English, if the police or military have trouble reading Spanish.

Print the first page, to highlight the Name of the Law and the 2012 date. Then print Articulo 106 Fracc. 4. It bridges pp 60 and 61.

If you want both English and Spanish language versions, Yucalandia.com has it. Their "Importing and Driving a Car in Mexico" article lists it in the Table of Contents buttons under IMPORTANT RULES FOR OPERATING FOREIGN PLATED CARS IN MEXICO: Article 106 at http://yucalandia.com/driving-in-mexico-issues-fun/importing-driving-a-car-in-mexico/#IMPORTANT%20RULES%20FOR%20OPERATING%20FOREIGN%20PLATED%20CARS%20IN%20MEXICO

If you want to show the DOF letterhead, print the 3 key pages from the DOF, and also print out the English version from Yucalandia to keep in the car for you to read in English, if the police or military have trouble reading Spanish.

I don't see where to print anything out. Please help.

John,I can't believe you've been driving around all these years without a copy of Articulo.106 in your glove box,it's come in handy for me on a couple of occasions.

"This is Aduana´s law. I´m Federale. Aduana´s law has nothing to do with us.
We are told to take anyone to Aduana with an expired TIP and then they will give a very large multa"

If the federal officer has nothing to do with enforcing federal law and the Aduana TIP is what he thinks he is policing then what is he doing? To me he made it clear. He is wanting some money. I assume that his statement that Aduana is paying him a large "Multa," a multa is a reward. Wasn't he saying, "Aduana pays me a reward if your TIP is expired or you can pay me not to take you to Aduana."

I think this is another case of law enforcement with a hand out asking for a bribe.

If the federal officer has nothing to do with enforcing federal law and the Aduana TIP is what he thinks he is policing then what is he doing? To me he made it clear. He is wanting some money. I assume that his statement that Aduana is paying him a large "Multa," a multa is a reward. Wasn't he saying, "Aduana pays me a reward if your TIP is expired or you can pay me not to take you to Aduana."

I think this is another case of law enforcement with a hand out asking for a bribe.

Multa is a fine/ticket/citation in Spanish, not a reward. He is saying you will get a fine/citation that is expensive. At least he did not say your vehicle will be impounded or seized.

Multa is a fine/ticket/citation in Spanish, not a reward. He is saying you will get a fine/citation that is expensive. At least he did not say your vehicle will be impounded or seized.

We were on a day trip Wed. from SLP to San Juan del Lagos and saw about 9 Federal Police trucks and several had vehicles pulled over checking them out. Right in front of us they were pulling over a semi with a company logo " Callahan" Translado deTijuana a Guadalajara with the 6 police all preparing their automatic weapons and trained on the driver in the cab. Mostly they had pulled over newer expensive pickups and SUVs and a couple with Texas plates. Not any of then had ski masks on and there were at least 3 police riding in back. One truck was cruising through Lagos de Moreno very slowly with lights flashing in the middle of 2 lanes checking everything and blocking traffic which wanted to pass, very strange.

I think one of the reason for the roadblock ( slow down on traffic by big trucks) the other day was to complain about the trasito stopping truckers and asking for big fines or they would impound the trucks So other folks are getting tired of all this Bull S- - -t to What ever happened to protect and serve !

If you use the pdf link: Click on your master menu options button in the upper left corner of the screen. Choose "Print". In the Print Menu, select the pages you want: 1, 60, 61. If you use the Yucalandia link, cut the text you want, paste it into a document, highlight the selection, print that selection of the document.

Joco,

Alan's correct. Your imagining a Federale trolling for bribes is incorrect. The quoted "multa" means fine or ticket (in US lingo).

When the police pull you over, trying to scam a bribe, the common Mexican way of stopping the cop is to say: "Dame mi multa."

This means you are calling his bluff, and telling him instead: "Give me my ticket." ... This forces him to either back-off, or to actually write the ticket. In 26 years of using this approach, I have received no tickets. They gave a final scolding and walked away,

Joco,

Alan's correct. Your imagining a Federale trolling for bribes is incorrect. The quoted "multa" means fine or ticket (in US lingo).

When the police pull you over, trying to scam a bribe, the common Mexican way of stopping the cop is to say: "Dame mi multa."

This means you are calling his bluff, and telling him instead: "Give me my ticket." ... This forces him to either back-off, or to actually write the ticket. In 26 years of using this approach, I have received no tickets. They gave a final scolding and walked away,

Not knowing what a word means or misinterrupting it is not "imagining." From what I've read most cops who threaten a ticket are giving the person a choice of paying a bribe or taking a ticket. If the cop says the ticket is "high" then the naive driver offers the bribe.

In this case I think it was clearly a federale who wanted to make a little extra money. If he doesn't enforce Aduana laws then how can he write a ticket? Aduana doesn't write a ticket for an illegal vehicle. As far as I know if a vehicle is illegal it is supposed to be towed and there is not ticket option.

In the 8 years I've lived here, I've never been stopped so I haven't been faced with it. Of course writing this has jinxed that streak.

We really can't come to that conclusion one way or the other. Given how much so many of the cops troll for mordida, it is suspicious. And also, as noted above, they're not writing tickets on the car business, they're seizing cars and arresting people.

OTOH, it's been my experience that the Federales are more honest. It is the local yokels and the transitos who seem to be the most avaricious.

A rather misleading subject to this post. It makes it sound like the Federales are checking cars all over the place whereas only one person is reported this happened to them. Unless there is more in the response to the Mexconnect post. I can't find the post there.

Under what heading and date is it?

That was one post from another area of MX, as far as I've seen that was it.

It's been some time now, but I've been stopped twice coming out of the airport by Feds and both times I just give them my paper package and I'm gone. Same with the local the other day in front of Blacks Coffee. And, I might add that I have a MXN flag front plate and any number of cops have seen it and not said a word, and my state has two plates.

I am the one who experienced, and first posted on this incident. I completely disagree with this headline, started by Yucalandia.. It is totally misleading. Í wish I had never posted anything, anywhere. I am mortified to see it reproduced on other Forums. I apologize for any panic, upset, disturbance this report may have caused.

It is completely misleading to say this incident was "now". It wasn´t "now", it was late February. I haven´t heard of any similar incidents at all and we were driving around everywhere with expired TIPs, Residente Permanentes, etc. No interest in us in the Vallarta area whatsoever.

My verdict, as the one who was there, was that it was a slow night for this guy and it could have happened just as easily 6 months ago or last year. He had no knowledge of any change in laws. He was just trying his luck. . I posted on it mostly because I wanted locals to know that it was probably best to avoid this particular place, particularly at night (the lateral road between the Vallarta airport and Plaza Marina).

Again, sorry for any distress this report may have caused people

Libby.

a) Las de vehículos propiedad de extranjeros que se internen al país con calidad de

inmigrantes rentistas o de no inmigrantes, excepto tratándose de refugiados y

asilados políticos, siempre que se trate de un solo vehículo.

Los vehículos que importen turistas y visitantes locales, incluso que no sean de su

propiedad y se trate de un solo vehículo.

Los vehículos podrán ser conducidos en territorio nacional por el importador, su

cónyuge, sus ascendientes, descendientes o hermanos, aun cuando éstos no sean

extranjeros, por un extranjero que tenga alguna de las calidades migratorias a que

se refiere este inciso, o por un nacional, siempre que en este último caso, viaje a

bordo del mismo cualquiera de las personas autorizadas para conducir el vehículo

y podrán efectuar entradas y salidas múltiples.

Los vehículos a que se refiere este inciso, deberán cumplir con los requisitos que

señale el Reglamento.

Inciso reformado DOF 30-12-1996, 31-12-1998, 01-01-2002

B).- Los menajes de casa de mercancía usada propiedad de visitantes, visitantes

distinguidos, estudiantes e inmigrantes, siempre y cuando cumplan con los

requisitos que señale el Reglamento.

Inciso reformado DOF 30-12-1996

I am the one who experienced, and first posted on this incident. I completely disagree with this headline, started by Yucalandia.. It is totally misleading. Í wish I had never posted anything, anywhere. I am mortified to see it reproduced on other Forums. I apologize for any panic, upset, disturbance this report may have caused.

It is completely misleading to say this incident was "now". It wasn´t "now", it was late February. I haven´t heard of any similar incidents at all and we were driving around everywhere with expired TIPs, Residente Permanentes, etc. No interest in us in the Vallarta area whatsoever.

My verdict, as the one who was there, was that it was a slow night for this guy and it could have happened just as easily 6 months ago or last year. He had no knowledge of any change in laws. He was just trying his luck. . I posted on it mostly because I wanted locals to know that it was probably best to avoid this particular place, particularly at night (the lateral road between the Vallarta airport and Plaza Marina).

Again, sorry for any distress this report may have caused people

Libby.

Google Translation:

a) vehicles owned by foreigners who enter the country with quality
immigrants rentistas or nonimmigrants, except in the case of refugees and
political asylum, provided that it is a single vehicle.
Vehicles imported tourists and local visitors, including their non-
property and the case of a single vehicle.
Vehicles may be driven in by the importing country, the
spouse, parents, children or siblings, even if they are not
foreign, a foreigner who has some of the qualities that migratory
referred to in this subsection, or by a national, provided that in the latter case, travel to
board at any of the persons authorized to drive the vehicle
and may make multiple entries and exits.
The vehicles covered by this subsection, shall comply with the requirements
the Regulations.
Paragraph reformed DOF 12/30/1996, 31-12-1998, 01-01-2002
b.) - The household goods owned used merchandise visitors, visitors
distinguished students and immigrants, provided they meet the
requirements of the Regulations.
Paragraph reformed DOF 12/30/1996

No where does article 106 state an Inmigrado [Residente Permanente] can have a TIP. In fact it states ONLY inmigrante rentistas, no inmigrantes and touristas can have a valid TIP. Lets get this straight. Alan

I guess I nailed it, crooked cop.

If he was a crooked cop he wasn´t a very smart one. He didn´t ask for the form letter from ADUANA extending the date on the expired TIP date on the windshield sticker and didn´t know about new INM cards or their visas statuses or didn´t ask for a INM card [poster didn´t say]. It appears he simply asked for a driver´s license and read article 106 and let her go without knowing what was really involved. These things happen.

AlanMexicali, I think you meant to post this in another thread.

Nope correct thread. See page 1 for the initial post she had reposted here and the feedback about Article 106 going on here. Alan

Archived