Chapala.com Webboard

"Beating a dead horse"

The colored text is not accurate. Spouses of TIP holders can drive the TIP car, regardless of their INM status. As Mainecoons pointed out, read Articulo 106, Fracc. IV:

"Los vehículos podrán ser conducidos en territorio nacional por el importador, su cónyuge, sus ascendientes, descendientes o hermanos, aun cuando éstos no sean extranjeros, por un extranjero que tenga alguna de las calidades migratorias a que se refiere este inciso,"

from http://yucalandia.com/driving-in-mexico-issues-fun/importing-driving-a-car-in-mexico/#IMPORTANT%20RULES%20FOR%20OPERATING%20FOREIGN%20PLATED%20CARS%20IN%20MEXICO and http://yucalandia.com/driving-in-mexico-issues-fun/importing-driving-a-car-in-mexico/#IMPORTANT%20RULES%20FOR%20OPERATING%20FOREIGN%20PLATED%20CARS%20IN%20MEXICO

This website has both Spanish language versions to carry in the car for police to read, and English translations for us to read along with them.

Re " What if you still have a valid INM document, go to the border, take off the sticker and come back in on a Tourist Visa? If you get stopped, you don't shown your INM card, but show your Tourist Visa? "

You show the police or military personnel your current valid INM permit, which would be your 6 month Visitante permit ,

If this all seems like some perverse game, try dealing with the US CIS and Homeland Security as a foreigner. The US systems are downright Kafkaesque, making Mexican systems a walk in park in comparison. Governments everywhere pass legislation and make rules that do not make sense. We are lucky that Mexico has such liberal and welcoming policies compared to most other countries.

Read what I said AGAIN or call your Facilitator. It has been discussed as another topic here. Once you go PERMANENTE, you CANNOT drive a US plated car. It IS ILLEGAL. Why do you think all this discussion? Call your Facilitator or Aduana or please drive your US plated car INCLUDING South Dakota and get it impounded and arrested. Next call Spencer!!!.

And if you are permanente and have a wreck while driving your NOB plated vehicle your insurance company is going to say " oopsie, your car is illegal , so we are not going to pay your claim".

...unless, I suppose, if you are pointed toward the boarder and have one of those 5 day permits

My $.02 sportsfans...

As far as having a foreign plated car with expired US registration, we have 3 sets of laws at work here, federal, state and local.

Federally you are ok as you have an import permit and to get it you either need to show current registration or registration that has expired within 3 months OR the title

State: Jalisco says nothing, I cannot comment on other states but perhaps those in the non permit zone may require current registration, please consult that legislation

Local: Again I cannot comment on local legislation although Puerto Vallarta as a municipality requires current registration on foreign plated cars but apparently it is not enforced, please consult that legislation

No rules are officially published as regards to residente permanente but the issue is problematic and written notifications I have received have indicated that they will not extend permits of permanentes and that is also their verbal policy, so beware, calling and improperly prasing questions to someone there without knowing their knowledge may cause you future problems.

The law is one thing and insurance is another, I reviewed Qualitas (Lewis & Lewis) policy last year and they had stated that current registration was not necessary.

Err on the side of caution please. I had my Us plated vehicle towed in 2011 and had expired registration and the experts at transito in Guadalajara had to review my documents including my expired registration and they released my vehicle. For what ever that is worth.

That sounds llike a very smart solution. I might have to find me a husband.... I just can't face giving up my lexus!. :rolleyes:

This totally cracked me up! I can see it now...marriages of convenience to avoid giving up your wheels. On second thought, you may end up giving up half of everything you own. Kinda puts the car loss into perspective doesn't it? :)

• 2 weeks later...

British Columbians- you can get current stickers for your plates without paying ICBC insurance. Tell ICBC you want to apply for 919 rate class. $61CAN a year. You have to fill out a form that says your car will be in Mexico for at least a year. They send the new papers and stickers to an address in Canada, and I renew them enough ahead of time that friends or family who are coming down can bring them to me. Did all the paperwork online. Even if you don't get the stickers on time, you can have them email you the papers to carry in your car.

British Columbians- you can get current stickers for your plates without paying ICBC insurance. Tell ICBC you want to apply for 919 rate class. $61CAN a year. You have to fill out a form that says your car will be in Mexico for at least a year. They send the new papers and stickers to an address in Canada, and I renew them enough ahead of time that friends or family who are coming down can bring them to me. Did all the paperwork online. Even if you don't get the stickers on time, you can have them email you the papers to carry in your car.

I can't find any information on ICBC's website about 919 a rate class. Do you have a link to it?

Archived