Chapala.com Webboard

Cuotas

John Shrall posted this a little while back:

When going via Pharr the tolls up to the end of the SLP bypass are the same. After that, there are 2 tolls of about 85 pesos after taking the Ciudad Victoria cutoff and 7 pesos to get to the Pharr bridge at the end of Hwy 97. The tolls to Nuevo Laredo from the same SLP start point are about $425 pesos so the round trip savings are over $700 pesos. In addition, the Travellodge in Pharr has a $50 room rate which is a lot less than a comparable hotel in Laredo, if that happens to be an overnight city.

I just made the trip using the Pharr route last week. Traffic was light and I encountered nothing that would make me afraid of taking this route again. The Pharr bridge is several kilometers from central Reynosa accessible by the last 7 peso 10km cutoff where you don't drive through the city.

Assuming you use the GDL bypass, you will have two tolls before Lagos de Moreno and three after, which are the same for either route. I think the first two add up to about $25 U.S., the new road after Lagos is 90 pesos, the south San Luis Potosi bypass is about $12 and the east San Luis Potosi bypass is about $5.

Tolls after that point at minimal with the Pharr route as John indicates.

John Shrall posted this a little while back:

Assuming you use the GDL bypass, you will have two tolls before Lagos de Moreno and three after, which are the same for either route. I think the first two add up to about $25 U.S., the new road after Lagos is 90 pesos, the south San Luis Potosi bypass is about $12 and the east San Luis Potosi bypass is about $5.

Tolls after that point at minimal with the Pharr route as John indicates.

Can you tell me which is shorter to San Antonio and by how much? Gracias !

Be aware that the SCT Rutas Punto a Punto web site doesn't know about the new cuota 30 miles north of the SLP bypass taking you to Ciudad Victoria and on to Pharr. If you ask for Chapala to Pharr the web site will send you to Saltillo and then to Hwy 40 to Monterrey continuing to Reynosa. That route is a lot longer than going through Ciudad Victoria.

I drive to Dallas and when I measured the mileage going through Laredo and Pharr and they were almost identical.

I found a new route on the last trip that allows me to bypass San Antonio and hook up with the new 85mph extension of SH130 in Lockhart TX. Taking the high speed 2 lane Texas roads and bypassing IH410 and IH35 we saved another 30+ minutes and shaved lots of miles off the trip.

I don't know the actual amount of the tolls from the Buda exit where SH130 used to end to the Lockhart exit Hwy 183. I'd have to go back to the NTTA toll tag site to get the actual numbers. Hwy 83 changes to Hwy 80 at IH10. From that point the route is pretty much due south through Nixon, Karnes City and then west at Kenedy on Hwy 72 connecting to US281 at Three Rivers.

If you look at Google maps you'll see that this route is more southerly than IH35 which heads more SW to San Antonio switching to IH37 going back SE. The other nice thing about the back route is you miss the IH37/IH410 intersection in San Antonio and then the intersection at IH35 and the never ending traffic to Buda.

You do have to go through a few small towns on the back roads but there's a lot less traffic and more interesting scenery than that on the interstate highway.

According to the route proposed using this program, the drive is 1110 Km and the tolls are 860 pesos. You can plug and chug the data yourself and check other possibilities. It's also in English.

This is the official government calculator:

http://aplicaciones4.sct.gob.mx/sibuac_internet/ControllerUI?action=cmdEscogeRuta&eligeIdioma=si

Not all the Toll are on it some do not exist anymore but it added to over 1000 Pesos last week when we drove to Laredo.

How much of a difference would it be with a cargo trailer?

It is about 50% higher but really a roll of the dice. I have had some toll booths charge 85% more - treating the pickup and towed trailer as two separate units. Despite my protestations they still demanded it - what could you do but pay it as a long line forms behind.

Just towed a 36' triaxle travel trailer from the Pharr crossing to Jocotepec (via CD. Victoria and across the GDL Periferico Sur). Northbound tolls for the truck without a trailer was as follows:

Tepatitlan $139

Jalostotitlan $174

Lagos de Moreno $175

Villa de Arriaga $207

San Luis Potosi $101

RioVerde $61

Cerritos/Tula $142

San Fernando $14

Pharr Bridge $55

Total (Northbound) 1,068

Southbound retracing the same route with the trailer in tow for example, the San Fernando toll was $21 (50% more) and the Villa de Arriaga toll was a whopping $381 (85% more). What made this especially painful is that it is the crappiest piece of road in the whole route too - plus you have to watch out for the mordida sucking SLP state police. Sorry, I don't have the rest of the receipts handy.

Archived