Chapala.com Webboard

I am confused about the ways and means of importing my CDN Vehicle

I have read so many threads regarding the foreign plated car problems that accompany the new status of Permanente. I have until October to figure out what to do about my CDN plated vehicle which is a 2009 GMC Van. I would like to find out if it is possible to import it, how much will it cost and if it is possible, who could I trust to give me direction or assist me with the process? I would gladly hire a lawyer; Intercasa would be my first choice but he has already told me that he does not handle this particular problem.

I would drive it back to Canada and sell it and then fly back and purchase a MX plated car if all I had to worry about was myself and my partner, but the one complication that we cannot overcome is that we have an aging, neurotic dog who is afraid of everything; I would not leave her with a dog sitter while we take a time out to unload the car in Canada, nor would I risk flying her back here.

We could wait and drive back to Canada in January with my snowbird sister and brother in law; they will be driving here then. But I would be afraid of the potential consequences during the interval betwen November and January when the car would maybe be "illegal". Actually, my understanding is that there is no current law on the books governing foreign plated cars and the consequences of owning one has yet to be decided, It makes me wonder why, if the rumor mill can be relied upon, vehicles are being confiscated for the plate problems. How can a law that does not exist yet be enforced? But that is another problem and it is not my intention to start a thread that will eventually turn into a debate, I really am just looking for some answers or suggestions even.

We are trying to prepare for whatever it is that we will have to do eventually, but it is difficult to find reliable information regarding the car. It seems that if we ask ten people, we will get ten different answers which of course leads to greater confusion. Is there some sort of Mexican DMV that might be able to point me in the right direction regarding the car and what to do about it?

Do that, DO NOT NATIONALIZE, way too many problems

Have another expat (who has either a tourist permit or Residente Temporal) drive it back to Canada for you. If you need it to be taken to Ontario I could do it for you next winter just before you go Permanente.

I am taking my truck back to Ontario in a couple of weeks to sell it. I plan on going back again sometime in November to visit the family and don't mind driving if you need a vehicle driven up then if you need help with it. I rather enjoy the nice long drive.

Ezzie, we may take you up on your offer if we haven't figured it out by the fall. We too are going back to Ontario in a few weeks and if it were not for my dog problem, I would simply sell the vehicle when we are back in Ontario. But then the problem becomes how to get back to Chapala with the dog

Ezzie, we may take you up on your offer if we haven't figured it out by the fall. We too are going back to Ontario in a few weeks and if it were not for my dog problem, I would simply sell the vehicle when we are back in Ontario. But then the problem becomes how to get back to Chapala with the dog

I have a suggestion. If you have dog concerns you can fly westjet from Ontario into PV. Westjet is incredibly great when you transport animals. They are the only carrier I truly trust, even if your pup is high maintenance. It will cost you 50.00 one way. You have to have a good crate, which makes the ride more enjoyable for your dog. The assign special cargo handlers for dogs and will only transport three at a time on any given flight.

If you get to PV perhaps your friends or sister could pick you up there. I have used them West jet this way for my dog and no problems ever.

Do that, DO NOT NATIONALIZE, way too many problems

Spencer--I know you have said this various times, but do you mean there is absolutely NO way to nationalize a car without problems? Not even driving it to the border and getting a customs broker there to do it for you?

Is there a sure way to win at Vegas? I have seen legal imports costing more than the cars themselves.

Is there a sure way to win at Vegas? I have seen legal imports costing more than the cars themselves.

I agree. But if the only other choice is to drive the vehicle all the way back to Canada, then get it's registration updated and emission test and then try to sell it, maybe "legally importing" it is the lessers of the two evils.

The cost of hotels, tolls, gas etc. to get the vehicle back north plus the air fares for us both to return, plus paying a dog/house sitter for 2 weeks or so starts to offset the cost of importing it legitimately, even though it may not be worth it. The vehicle is a 10 year old NAFTA Jeep, roadworthy and low mileage so for us it makes sense.

All of that said, can you assist us in importing the vehicle legally? Our current visas don't expire until Novemember so we are are planning to wait until July or August before doing anything about the car. Maybe by then, there will be some different rules in place. :)

I wouldn´t touch importations, not worth it. Every week I receive more and more fake papers or complaints that people spent money and got no results. It is a HUGE mess I want nothing to do with, I trust nobody

I wouldn´t touch importations, not worth it. Every week I receive more and more fake papers or complaints that people spent money and got no results. It is a HUGE mess I want nothing to do with, I trust nobody

Based on a MXN$37,000 quote I got from someone who appears to be legitimate, I figured out that it would cost me more to take the vehicle back to Ontario and try to sell it as it would to import it. This includes gas, accomodation, meals, tolls, dog/house sitters plus accommodation, meals and possible car rental in Ontario and one-way airfares for the two of us. On top of that, I'm sure it would cost more to buy as good a used vehicle here. So for us, driving back makes no sense.

Anything is possible in Mexico. We are selling a US plated 2003 Lincoln for a friend. The buyer is a policeman. We have met him several times, his wife and children, been to his home etc. He will buy the car and within less than 2 weeks have plates and registration from a small town in the state of Mexico and the car will be legal. Sometimes you do not ask too many questions. These will be the new style plates with an electronic chip in them.

He will explain the process as it applies to our 2008 vehicle if we wish.

Not seeking comments, simply to inform anything is possible.

Tell you friends and family in Canada about the car. You may find someone who wants to buy it and is willing to come down and get it.

You could do the transfer paper work while in Ontario and then just park it till they come down. They then can get the Safe Return permit and drive it back accross the US border and on to Ontario. Just knock the price down to cover the cost of travel down and back. Pretty much what you would need to spend if you do it yourself. It you make it a good value, someone will come and get it and it can save you the headache of having to leave the Dog. An alternative method would be to drive it to the border for them and fly back with Volaris, that way you won't need the Safe Return permit.

Archived