Chapala.com Webboard

Need some help

After digging thru a lot of rules and regulations and wearing out Google translate, it is my considered opinion that an auto, as long as it meets certain qualifications, can be imported or nationalized at the Guad airport.

Here's why:

The customs book says that a car can be imported by paying the fees and getting the inspections at any port of entry. Guad airport is listed as a port of entry.

All the air freight that comes into Guad from out of country clears customs at Guad.

Why is no one doing this? When would anyone ship a used car into MX on a plane? The freight would be horrible.

As far as I can tell, here is what is required:

You have to present paperwork to customs with a bunch of info including copy of title, some info on when and where it was manufactured, copy of vin on the door and maybe a few other things.

Then customs checks it (may take a few days), then it has to be physically inspected.

Once you get a receipt for the inspection, you get a bill, go pay it, get a receipt and bring it all back to get your final paperwork.

I think it can be done without a broker but it may pay to find a broker to do all the shuffling.

I need someone who speaks great Spanish to go to the airport, find the air freight section and find a broker (they generally have offices right there or close) or someone in customs and see if this is not possible.

Theory vs. practice.

Across Mexico, airports handling international flights have Aduana offices. These airport offices are fairly specialized, and only offer a limited range of services, geared towards only performing customs services for airline passengers and airline cargo. Since autos are not shipped in by commercial airlines, Aduana offices do not handle automotive issues. In contrast, seaports that handle autos coming in by containerized freight etc. do handle Aduana auto permit issues for cars already in the country.

I know where the Guad airport Aduana brokers' offices are. I was there last week talking to a broker about a different matter. She spoke English. Unfortunately, I never thought to ask about naturalization of foreign-plated cars. Next time I go to Costco, I'll stop at their offices on the way back and ask.

Theory vs. practice.

Across Mexico, airports handling international flights have Aduana offices. These airport offices are fairly specialized, and only offer a limited range of services, geared towards only performing customs services for airline passengers and airline cargo. Since autos are not shipped in by commercial airlines, Aduana offices do not handle automotive issues. In contrast, seaports that handle autos coming in by containerized freight etc. do handle Aduana auto permit issues for cars already in the country.

I agree to a certain point. They may not normally (who would ship a used car in by air?) But that doesn't mean that they can't or won't.

If i can find someone who deals with custom brokers at the airport, I stand a chance of getting cars imported there.

The only difference in a car and any othe rpiece of equipment is that it is on wheels.

I need an e-mail of a large broker with an office in Guad.

Someone who reads this board has that info or knows where to get it.

I've actually talked to someone who has done it but it was several years ago and they can't find the info on who did it.

Archived