Chapala.com Webboard

Break-in in Villa Nova

Yesterday between 11:30 and 2:30, while we were out. someone broke into our home in Villa Nova. I don't know how they got into the yard as we have a tall wall with electrical wire on top. They jimmied the metal on the sliding glass door to get in. They took money, a computer, jewelry, and (believe it or not) a pillow case. I don't know how to contact the folks in Villa Nova to report this. Just a heads up for folks.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yesterday between 11:30 and 2:30, while we were out. someone broke into our home in Villa Nova. I don't know how they got into the yard as we have a tall wall with electrical wire on top. They jimmied the metal on the sliding glass door to get in. They took money, a computer, jewelry, and (believe it or not) a pillow case. I don't know how to contact the folks in Villa Nova to report this. Just a heads up for folks.

This is the appropriate email:

villanovafracc@hotmail.com

Do you have insurance?

Thanks for the heads up on this incident..I guess the presence of the Army is not going to change the level of B&E incidences ..and for , the lack of "offical" reporting , continues to be a major problem in this area

Not true. Read ChrisB's post # 2 under "Army in Ajijic and manning the Pillboxes going toward Joco". Then read Mainecoons post. One break in and everyone gets paranoid.

If they jimmied the sliding glass door, you probably need to obtain a wooden dowel to put in the slot at the base of the door. Then, no one can get in without breaking the glass. This is something thieves seem reluctant to do, probably because of the noise.

The locks on the sliding glass doors I've seen here are a joke. Make sure the dowel is just a hair shorter than the slot so you can get it in and out, but you don't leave any play in the door.

It does not really matter how high your walls are or how protected you feel . . . if they want to get in, they will. I have seen a young guy climb a 20 foot wall within 10 seconds with a backpack. He looked like a monkey going up a tree. We don't have a wall around our property but a simple link fence so you can see through. In 9 years, we never had an incident. I guess nobody wants to jump up our fence and be seen by any passerby. It might also indicate that we have nothing to protect.

Sorry to hear about this.You will feel so insecure for a while and you will suspect many people around you. Hope they find him (them).

We had several break ins (including our house) in our neighbourhood. To get into one house they broke the glass in the terrace sliding doors because they couldn't open the doors due to a piece of wood used to stop them sliding.

If you need to claim on the insurance then you have to file a denuncia with the Ministerio Publico. The insurance company will not pay until you give them a copy of the denuncia. This might take a month or so, as it did in our case, but eventually we got our copy and the insurance claim was processed.

Last week at the Monday Market at Hole in One across from Century 21 in SAT there was a guy selling security systems for 3000 pesos. They call your phone if triggered, set off alarm and you can get an addon where you can see inside the home using cameras. They also had a huge security light that's red and sends out an alarm like a police vehicle. I was really impressed with it. Unfortunately we already have a security system installed or I would have bought it.

Last week at the Monday Market at Hole in One across from Century 21 in SAT there was a guy selling security systems for 3000 pesos. They call your phone if triggered, set off alarm and you can get an addon where you can see inside the home using cameras. They also had a huge security light that's red and sends out an alarm like a police vehicle. I was really impressed with it. Unfortunately we already have a security system installed or I would have bought it.

I believe this was probably Myron Mortimer who installed this system for us after we had two break ins. We don't have the red light but have an indoor and outdoor siren as well as the phone dialler. We had him provide a phone dialler using a cell phone card as we can only get one land line into our house (confirmed after several visits to Telmex). The reason we did this is that Myron told us that we shouldn't use an answering machine or the Telmex voicemail system when the alarm system is armed.

Friends and long time residents of ours, with lakefront property in Ajijic, were broken into late this morning. They were caught in the act, with the typical piling of goods by the door but when interrupted, took off, escaping through the back(lake area).

Seems we all had a break since Easter but now that the holy weeks are over, they're doing the summer run :-/ The good news is that these creeps took off and weren't interested in hurting anyone.

so how did they get in? this helps us tighten up our own security. we no longer have lakechapalacrime.com to access this info. btw, the site is up for grabs, site/archives will be on google till sept. maybe someone should take over?

My husband just sawed off several pieces of 1" PVC pipe he had left over from a project. They work great.

GREAT IDEA, I shout. You should see the very long piece of heavy metal, I am using. It's a pain to move. I wish I had thought of using a large diameter PVC pipe. It's so much lighter and so much easier to move and still works.

My husband just sawed off several pieces of 1" PVC pipe he had left over from a project. They work great.

That's what we had in our patio door and they got in through that door without breaking the glass. They took the glass apart from the frame.

The house inspector, Brad Grieve, told us to put a metal bar instead of a dowel or a pvc pipe but the thieves caught us before we were able to change them.

Now we also have bars on all the windows and doors + extra security measures in place.

GREAT IDEA, I shout. You should see the very long piece of heavy metal, I am using. It's a pain to move. I wish I had thought of using a large diameter PVC pipe. It's so much lighter and so much easier to move and still works.

PVC doesn't work, please don't change yours for that.

PVC doesn't work, please don't change yours for that.

We've used PVC in our home NOB for years. Why do you say it "doesn't work"????? Why would a metal bar in an arcadia door be any better than PVC? (Note that I'm talking about a bar inside the home to keep the door from sliding open. No bars outside the doors at all.

We've used PVC in our home NOB for years. Why do you say it "doesn't work"????? Why would a metal bar in an arcadia door be any better than PVC? (Note that I'm talking about a bar inside the home to keep the door from sliding open. No bars outside the doors at all.

I explained it in my previous post: "That's what we had in our patio door and they got in through that door without breaking the glass. They took the glass apart from the frame." They jimmied it until the pvc moved and then they opened the rest of the door.

Though now that we have bars on all doors and windows, I think it would be harder to get in.

Archived