Chapala.com Webboard

LCS and its future

A comment on LCS fundraising:

The last fund-raising "Fiesta" charged $450 pesos per person. That's $900 per couple. I don't know if it sold out or not, but if not, the reason is obvious. How many people can punch those numbers into their budgets?

IMO, more frequent fundraisers at half the price would probably net more dinero. We don't need catering by one of the upscale restaurants to please the public: how about tasty food by a place like "Hot Rod Burrito" or any number of the less expensive eateries? A few years ago, it was a real "fiesta" with some of the local Mexican ladies ladling our their prize dishes. Loved it.

Parking: How hard is it to park a block away around the corner and walk the short distance if you're not seriously disabled? We did it for months at a time when we had construction going on, and we are no spring chicks. :unsure:

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It may be time for LCS to re-evaluate its mission, which may have to change with the times. Many of its wonderful services are no longer so important. There are now many options for mail, reading books on electronic media, obtaining videos, finding medical assistance, etc., etc. As such, it might be wise to become more of a social interaction mission, in addition to the educational mission to the Mexican children and adults, concentrating more on events that would attract both expats and locals. They have done that well in the past, but not often enough.

In the past, LCS was very attractive and useful to newcomers; not so much any more, as the newbies are using internet resources to gather information before they hit the road south. It is still a place to meet others, but so are the plazas in Ajijic and Chapala, as well as the many local restaurants and events in other locations.

i have used it for mail. you can also do short term memberships. older people especially women may not want to hang around a plaza to meet people, or depend upon restaurants.

I was under the impression that the donation of the property to LCS by Neil James included a proviso or two about its use and limitations of sale. Not so? I thought the original mission statement was dedicated to helping the Mexican youth. I applaud those from El Norte who wish to carry on this tradition; those with self-serving greed, not so much.

If LCS can drum up 1.5 million for their grounds and services, I'd be shocked and surprised.

I do not belong any longer for all of the mentioned already reasons. NO parking, no interest in books with our own community libraries, and ebooks, and many other wonderful new services available to the ex-pat community. Things have changed, Ajijic has grown, not to forget traditions, but to learn to grow and accept new things in new times.

Not everyone can walk or even drive in that area of Ajijic..and the parking issue is the main reason. It is ridiculous and long outdated.

Unfortunately, for all of us and all things...times change and so must even the venerable LCS. The mall tho not as esthetically pleasing offers good and ample parking, and accessibility, security and a large area to hold the functions..and is also walkable from that end of town.

We are all aging, so is LCS and its original purpose, to serve the Mexican community still is great, but if it falls to ruin who will wish to go then?

And full accountability is expected if any funds are to be raised, or a new location agreed upon. Good Luck...

I too would like to see the mandate and conditions and obligations set forth when LCS was formed. Sure times change but for me the Mission Statement should be: One - to provide information to Lakeside Residents, particular those new to the area or need problems resolved such as learning Spanish - NOT to be an entertainment center for gringos with nothing to do and nowhere to go. Second - to assist the youth of the area. Both these objectives can be greatly enhanced given modern tools BUT it is NOT, for me at least, a meet and great for the super old timers. In fact, and of course a no one's loss, I will not renew given what information has been forthcoming on this board.

El bartman and others,

If you log onto the following link: http://www.lakechapalasociety.com/website/Admin/govdocs.php then click on the word Constitution in blue, you can read the entire constitution which includes the Mission, Vision and Mandates of the organization. These Governing Documents were approved by the membership in December of 2010. All of this is still a work in progress, but in the two years since ratification of the current constitution, LCS has come a long way from the days of meet and great for the super old timers. If you want a better idea of what the organization does and offers to all in the Lake Chapala community, be they citizens or expatriots, go to a Board Meeting and ask; go talk with the Executive Director; you might be surprised.

BTW: I compliment the posters for keeping this thread informative and civil. I will forward this thread to the Executive Director and ask that he read what has been said. Many useful, excellent comments.

While looking the LCS website http://lakechapalasociety.com you might also click on the May newsletter which among

other things introduces the new bilingual Mexican Operations Manager. While only on the job for a month, Adela will

be glad to talk with you.

There are also the results of a survey from last year about various programs. Within the last month, all LCS members

also received two on line surveys about the facilities, etc etc. A feasibility study has been completed with results

not yet made available to all about MANY of the topics, which reasonably, have been brought up.

While it is fairly quiet on the grounds now - snowbirds gone and others on vacation to avoid the heat - there are activities

going on. And not just to expats or the "old folks" some of you seem to remember. The Mexican community as well

is making greater use of the grounds and facilities - which are available outside of the 10-2 hours.

For those of you naysayers, by all means do not believe every statement that has been made in this thread.

Agree. Once again, they need to take a lesson from the Chapala American Legion.

Nice people yes but not my or others cup of tea. I found different people tend to hang at LCS than American Legion.

I don't hang out at the donut shop in Ajijic either. Different strokes for different folks.

• 2 weeks later...

A comment on LCS fundraising:

The last fund-raising "Fiesta" charged $450 pesos per person. That's $900 per couple. I don't know if it sold out or not, but if not, the reason is obvious. How many people can punch those numbers into their budgets?

IMO, more frequent fundraisers at half the price would probably net more dinero. We don't need catering by one of the upscale restaurants to please the public: how about tasty food by a place like "Hot Rod Burrito" or any number of the less expensive eateries? A few years ago, it was a real "fiesta" with some of the local Mexican ladies ladling our their prize dishes. Loved it.

Parking: How hard is it to park a block away around the corner and walk the short distance if you're not seriously disabled? We did it for months at a time when we had construction going on, and we are no spring chicks. :unsure:

Much to my surprise the Fiesta sold out. I won't pay that for a fund raiser. For a couple I could outfit four kids for soccer. Seems to be the way to go as they did make much money for the program. Go figure.

Maybe someone could put up a Holiday In? Something six stories or so and as uly as sin is just what we need and obras publicas is probably for sale for an easy permit?

While looking the LCS website http://lakechapalasociety.com you might also click on the May newsletter which among

other things introduces the new bilingual Mexican Operations Manager. While only on the job for a month, Adela will

be glad to talk with you.

There are also the results of a survey from last year about various programs. Within the last month, all LCS members

also received two on line surveys about the facilities, etc etc. A feasibility study has been completed with results

not yet made available to all about MANY of the topics, which reasonably, have been brought up.

While it is fairly quiet on the grounds now - snowbirds gone and others on vacation to avoid the heat - there are activities

going on. And not just to expats or the "old folks" some of you seem to remember. The Mexican community as well

is making greater use of the grounds and facilities - which are available outside of the 10-2 hours.

For those of you naysayers, by all means do not believe every statement that has been made in this thread.

The LCS daily calender shows no programs that start at 7PM or later. That's when most locals get off work, so I don't see how you can say the Mexican community is making more use of grounds and facilities. I belive the gates are chained/locked most nights well before 7PM. Because of the summer heat, the Plaza is overflowing with families getting some air at night. Why not open shady LCS grounds for everyone from 7PM till at least 11PM? Sell some refrescos and it would be a great meet and greet place for BOTH expats and locals. Why not???

that may not be safe.

Why not? BTW, studies show that crime goes DOWN anywhere where people, especially families, are out and about at night.

Are you implying that too many Mexicans in one space at one time is inherently dangerous? I go by the Plaza almost nightly and it's full of Mexican families, multi-generational and have NEVER witnessed any fights or problems.

Defend your allegation, please.

Volunteers work from 10-2pm. The grounds are open until 5pm. The gardener locks up at that time.

I doubt you would find any volunteers to stay there until 11:00pm to lock up!

maw

You said the gardener locks up (not a volunteer). If LCS really wanted to outreach to the local community, it can pay a gardener an extra hour's work to come back and lock up later. If LCS sells soft drinks during the evening, the profit on those sales will more than cover the gardener's extra time.

You said the gardener locks up (not a volunteer). If LCS really wanted to outreach to the local community, it can pay a gardener an extra hour's work to come back and lock up later. If LCS sells soft drinks during the evening, the profit on those sales will more than cover the gardener's extra time.

So the gardener who begins at 7 am should come back? And who would sell the soft drinks? There is a contract with a vendor who is open from 10-2 selling beverages and food. Another vendor? Not just easy to do. And to leave the entire grounds unattended until 11 pm with no security and certainly not sufficient lighting everywhere on the grounds?

LCS is open to suggestions but not everything is as easy as it would seem. Every suggestion needs more volunteers to check the feasilbility and follow through as well

as provide the service.

And there are Mexicans using the grounds for weddings, christenings, fiestas and classes, etc before and after hours as well as on weekends.

i can see this could be another fiasco. few people are capable of critical thought. whatever...... not my brothers keeper. the soda sales do make sence, the rest.......whatever. (wrote this before ellies comment, shes one person who is on straight).

If asked I lock up the place if needed other will do the same but normally the Gardener does lock the place up. One thing to remember the neighbors might not appreciate too much noise too late. We do try to be good neighbors and are for the most part. Just curious how many of you folks commenting are members?

Why not? BTW, studies show that crime goes DOWN anywhere where people, especially families, are out and about at night.

Are you implying that too many Mexicans in one space at one time is inherently dangerous? I go by the Plaza almost nightly and it's full of Mexican families, multi-generational and have NEVER witnessed any fights or problems.

Defend your allegation, please.

Don't over react please. Over the years we have had some problems in that neighborhood (not the only one). We had a murder, two people at five pm last year were mugged on the side street next to LCS. It can be a lonely neighborhood sometimes. How do I know? I lived in two houses in that neighborhood. I wouldn't walk around at night down there by myself. Don't get me wrong it is a very nice neighborhood but sometimes lonely at night so we take precautions as anyone would. Many places in Ajijic I wouldn't be around by myself after 9pm or so. Lots of people around it is safe no people watch yourself at night.

Reality folks

Archived