Chapala.com Webboard

LCS and its future

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, let me start. I am absolutely appalled by the idea that anyone would consider trying to raise 1.5 million USD to stay in the current location. For far less than 1.5 million, LCS can purchase another property, on or close to the carretera, much larger, in better condition and better suited to the needs of both communities, expat and local. The current property is quaint, historical, gardens and fish ponds, but is falling apart physically and is not being maintained and is now a memory of days gone by and nothing can be done to improve the parking situation. Time for LCS to move out of the 1950's and into the 21st Century and not spend money on those old, antiquated grounds. Sell the current property and move forward with something more appropriate to suit their current and future needs, which does not not currently exist, and I believe cannot reasonably be expected to happen on the current grounds. My dos centavos. Who's next? PS, I have been a dues paying member since I moved here 8 years ago, even though I do not use the facility any more, I will always support LCS for the good it does for locals.

OK, let me start. I am absolutely appalled by the idea that anyone would consider trying to raise 1.5 million USD to stay in the current location. For far less than 1.5 million, LCS can purchase another property, on or close to the carretera, much larger, in better condition and better suited to the needs of both communities, expat and local. The current property is quaint, historical, gardens and fish ponds, but is falling apart physically and is not being maintained and is now a memory of days gone by and nothing can be done to improve the parking situation. Time for LCS to move out of the 1950's and into the 21st Century and not spend money on those old, antiquated grounds. Sell the current property and move forward with something more appropriate to suit their current and future needs, which does not not currently exist, and I believe cannot reasonably be expected to happen on the current grounds. My dos centavos. Who's next? PS, I have been a dues paying member since I moved here 8 years ago, even though I do not use the facility any more, I will always support LCS for the good it does for locals.

I agree with Hernan though I wonder what they'd get for the current property. I suspect that the access (parking) problem has more than a little impact on the membership decline. We can walk there but there aren't enough of us to keep the place going. It really could use to be more accessible.

When LCS was primarily Ajijic-centered, folks could walk there easily and parking was not a serious concern. In the last decade, things have changed and many LCS members, or potential members, are snowbirds, sunbirds and permanent residents whoi do not live within a few blocks of the LCS location. Many live a few miles east or west of Ajijic and some even further out. As such, parking has become a serious problem, especially for events.

I would suggest that LCS give up the gardens and the attachment to the history of the place, put it up for sale and plan a move to a more accessible location; maybe even the new shopping center. There would be parking and they could occupy locales appropriate to their current needs.

LCS could also consider being more open to the local community instead of being perceived as an expat club.

I'm thinking about the brouhaha that snarled things up for weeks at the LCS when it was suggested that Neill James's ashes in their urn be moved from the original spot. And yikes, now people are talking about giving up the gardens and the historical site.

<stands back>

I had never even considered moving the LCS but now that the idea has come up, I think it's a great idea. We used to belong but have not renewed our membership this year, we just never go there. Yes, parking is an issue and so is the traffic going into Ajijic these days. And, we have found the crowds at events to be fairly insular, not easy to get to know many of these old-timers. A lovely place, does great things, the volunteers are nice people and work hard, the atmosphere is very mellow and we strongly recommend it for Lakeside newbies when we talk to them. But we just don't go there any more. Upon scratching my head and pondering why, I have to admit if it was in Chapala, Riberas or SAT, we'd get there more often.

I remember when I was on the Board in 07 & 08 that the property was valued at 1 million USD!!

And after reading this thread, I too would be in favor of selling the property and relocating elsewhere, the biggest problem would be getting the majority to approve where to relocate.

I actually like the idea of the Lakeside Mall property!

maw

I hadn't thought of the mall either but that is an excellent suggestion. I filled in the online survey and wondered about the unused land between the OXXO and the Hole in One (Chula Vista) but about a block off the carretera . I buy an annual membership to support the work in the Mexican community and to attend movies and use the the library. But the library is a good example. There didn't used to be the number of second hand shops that we have now. People are buying books, or trading at Magana's. The point is that there are alternatives.

And as development spreads out (away from Ajijic) traffic increases and there will be fewer who want to drive down into the busy narrow roads to get to LCS and then to hope for a parking spot.

My two pesos worth.

I am curious to know whether the membership numbers have declined from the past five years to the present. A survey as to "why" would be useful.

As to the location: there is almost always some parking on Nicolas Bravo before reaching the 16 Septiembre intersection, except for special events days. However, most people optimistically hope there will be parking in front and drive on through. We live nearby and when we had repairs going, we just parked over on the side street; no problem.

I would hate to see the LCS move to a mall type location. The present property has so much going for it, and since labor is not nearly as expensive as it is NOB, I think the essential buildings could be repaired under a reasonable budget. Gardens take time to reach maturity and these are outstanding. My major use of LCS is just enjoying them as a peaceful place in a busy village.

I'm confident that all the issues about how relevant the video rental, the library and other matters are, are being discussed and solutions sought by the people who are in charge. We all know there are many changes in reading and video options that didn't even exist ten years ago.

Then, to be realistic about one aspect of LCS: It has been functioning primarily as a Senior Center for gringos. Older expats want something like this, so it is not a bad thing. I can't envision this group heading to the Laguna Mall, for instance. I have no idea whether Mexicans would come to LCS at these grounds or elsewhere. Most of the time, I see them using the Plaza as a social center. The kids do go to the Childrens Art program in increasing numbers and that's one good outreach action.

I am a member, though I find that I'm using the facilities less. Kindle aced the library. Netflix did it to the video rental shop.

The Art Program could easily be moved to the Wilkes Center where all the other classes are held

for the Mexican community.

maw

It's this sort of segregationist policy that puts LCS in a bad light with many locals and with those of us expats who want to make LCS meaningful to the locals.

I am not a member for two reasons:

1. It seems to be focused on providing services to an older generation than that to which I belong (in my early sixties and just recently retired to the area).

2. It is ideally suited to those who live within walking distance. Since I live out in the countryside, I dread the drive into Ajijic and trying to find a parking spot, so I very rarely go there.

I don't think I am the "target" profile of the type of person LCS is all about, and that's OK for now. I too will age and maybe some day move closer in to where all the "action" is.

It's this sort of segregationist policy that puts LCS in a bad light with many locals and with those of us expats who want to make LCS meaningful to the locals.

I have always been in favor of more MX activities to be held at LCS. Years ago LCS wanted to move classes from the Wilkes to LCS so that they could mix with the ex-pat community however the MX community that uses Wilkes was very upset- they wanted to stay at Wilkes because it belongs to them! Several years ago I talked with Hector at Mannix about being a Community liason between LCS and the MX community. That meeting was the start of having a Sept. 16th celebration at LCS with the MX & Ex-pat community together. The 1st celebration was a huge success which was repeated again last year.

I am all for a move to a new location because I don't see LCS being able to raise over a Million USD to rennovate the existing grounds and buildings.

maw

I am in agreement with Gringal. The LCS facility is a historical tribute to a more quiet time. Some people like modern; others like tradition. Compare Las Vegas to downtown Guadalajara. One holds history in regard the other has no respect for tradition. Frankly I am sick and tired of people from El Norte who want to make Mexico like Ward, June, Wally and the Beaver America. I vote to leave it where it is BUT 1.5 million - that's bloody ridiculous!

I'm with El Cartero on the general principle.

We've heard a quote of 1.5 million US to tear it down and rebuild it at its present location.

We haven't heard quotes for what it would take to, for instance, fix the roof WELL on the library building. I saw what they did last "fix". It was a cheap job that was bound to fail quickly. A good contractor could fix or even re-roof for a reasonable cost, along with the other buildings on the grounds. No million dollars in the real world, unless the contractor is having dreams of riches.

IMO, such bids would need to be under a high power magnifying glass.

Maybe LCS should consider who is buttering their toast, so to speak, and cater all their efforts at the expat population. There are multiple local charities that cater to the Mexican community.

Maybe LCS should consider who is buttering their toast, so to speak, and cater all their efforts at the expat population. There are multiple local charities that cater to the Mexican community.

Sorry I disagree. It is for both groups. Why don't you read the charter and documents for LCS?

First, Wilkes is set up for classrooms. The present LCS campus is not.

I wonder if they could evaluate the community needs for space and remodel one or more of the current buildings to be more user friendly. I've noticed there fewer community activities that there were 4 or 5 years ago. Perhaps remove a small section of the back garden and create parking on both sides of Ramon Corona. That would cost much less than 1.5 million.

Archived