Chapala.com Webboard

can a person who is now permanente drive a US plated car not their own?

I just spoke with James Lewis of Lewis and Lewis Mexican Insurance. He assures me that as long as I have tourist tags on my vehicle (US or Canadian) and have a Tourist Policy with Lewis and Lewis that my insurance is still good in Mexico even though the TIP may be void when I become Permanente. He also stated that if the vehicle was nationalized the insurance is immediately null and void.

My plan is to obtain the 5 day permit to take the vehicle out of Mexico after having the TIP removed. My wife and I are both on the title and she will FM3 for one more year. I would then return the vehicle to MX and obtain a new TIP in my wife's name. From what I think I understand I would then be legal to drive the vehicle. At least I hope so!

• 5 years later...

Ok i saw this and the rules have changed since 2013. I have a question, similar to the post above. If I have residente permanente and my wife does not, and she brings in a motorhome under a 10 year TIP, can i drive it if my name is also on the vehicle registration. With or without her inside. chances are she would be.

Chapala.com administrators - again, since it has been so long and so many changes since 2013 shouldn't you put a LOCK on threads older than 2 years.  They would still be there for background info but it is so wrong to let items like this show up 5 or 6years after they are valid.  It cannot be that hard to lock down a date every 4 months.  I suggest June 2017.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, telcoman said:

Ok i saw this and the rules have changed since 2013. I have a question, similar to the post above. If I have residente permanente and my wife does not, and she brings in a motorhome under a 10 year TIP, can i drive it if my name is also on the vehicle registration. With or without her inside. chances are she would be.

I have never seen this exact question asked..... BOTH names on the title and one is Permanente.... but if I were a betting man I'd bet that your wife's name better be the only one on the title, she being the legal Temporal one. As you know by now, in that case you can drive the MH legally even without her in the vehicle. Unless you find out otherwise with authority, I would not temp fate. 

• Like 1