Chapala.com Webboard

can a person who is now permanente drive a US plated car not their own?

And how about in reverse: I just became Permanente, and my husband is still Temporal. The car was imported in my name but I can't make the trip to get it out of the country for a few months. Can my husband drive it in the meantime?

You both are driving an illegally in Mexico vehicle as your TIP expired the day your last FM2/3 expired. Best to garage it for now and take taxis and busses. When you go to the border get a "safe return permit" from ADUANA and you have 5 days to hand in your TIP there and might pay a fine and not get your deposit back. Alan

And how about in reverse: I just became Permanente, and my husband is still Temporal. The car was imported in my name but I can't make the trip to get it out of the country for a few months. Can my husband drive it in the meantime?

Your car is now illegal. Neither of you should drive it. Confiscation is possible.

Follow the advice to get the safe exit letter and take it out of Mexico in the window the letter provides.

You might want to get Spencer to help you. (Intercasa, on this forum)

My husband is permanente.I am still temporal.Car is imported in my name.Can he drive it?Even if I am not in the car?

Thanks in advance.

I think it would be very unwise for him to drive it without you in the passenger seat. You might have to bail them both out.

I wonder if you can add his name to your title and then take it to the border and bring it in under his name?

Being a Permanent Resident with a foreign plated car I personally, while somewhat stressed over the issue, will not panic. Very recently when my wife called Aduana 01 55 58 02 0000 ext 61361 she spoke in Spanish with Mariana Gonzalez, Operaciones Aduanera. My wife used my example, a foreign plated car and Permanent Resident. The call was about 5 minutes. Mariana stated if Permanent Resident and legally in Mexico, car is legal and it can not be confiscated based on what I have posted. She stated in my situation our car is legal. She directed my wife to the following web site which states in bottom right it is current. I realize this situation is fluid but as I noted we will not panic. Others can certainly do as they please including calling the number above.

http://www.aduanas.sat.gob.mx/aduana_mexico/2008/vehiculos/141_11213.htmlhttp://www.aduanas.sat.gob.mx/aduana_mexico/2008/vehiculos/141_11213.html

Also, some of this does not make sense. The reason is that Permanent Resident visas are preapproved at a consulate. Let's say this happens in Vancouver Canada. At this time the applicant likely would not know about the car issue. They drive to Mexico and have 30 days to obtain their Permanent Resident visa. IF, they discover the car is "illegal" once in Mexico and the visa is in process the scenario would be to complete finger prints, get a letter permitting travel outside of the country while visa is in progress, drive back to Canada and sell car, fly back to Mexico and pick up their visa. Call me naive, but I doubt this is the intent. I believe and others can disagree, there will be an actual law and soon allowing a grandfathering of our cars or say 6 months to nationalize at a reasonable fee or some other solution.

If one takes a foreign plated car from Canada to the US or the US to Canada they have 6 months to import their vehicle at a cost of a very few hundred dollars. I realize they have to meet emissions and safety standards but nearly all do as Canada has harmonized these standards with the US. I personally have a car that has been legally registered in Cnaad and the uS and know the process is relatively easy. Fingers crossed Mexico is about to make similar laws.

Some suggest confiscation etc but to believe this I need to truly be told of a confiscation including the persons name and that the only issue was PR visa and foreign plated vehicle to justify the confiscation and that the confiscation was legal vs some rogue cop looking for mordida.

Meanwhile, Mexguy (I think that is his handle) and your local Chamber of Commerce are working on solutions and they should be applauded for taking on this endeavour. I applaud both and look forward to hearing the resolution which I sincerely believe they will find.

I agree with Ajijic. The situation is very fluid. For example, my husband (who had an FM3 visa) and I (FM2 visa) have been to the immigration office in Chapala and to Guad several times and no one seems to know what is going on. I had to show financial statements for a year to the equivalent of 1,500,000 pesos (about 125,000 dollars Cdn). My husband didn't have to show any financial statements at all. Every time we go there, it seems that the situation has changed. But, the staff are friendly and polite and poco a poco we are advancing on the process. We have a British Columbia plated car and our visas have now expired and the permenente ones are still in process after more than two months. Are we going to sell our car? No. Are we going to drive carefully? Yes!

I believe that this will all sort itself out down the road. No pun intended :)

Thanks... I will try again and will post words. We carry these words in our car and her number.

http://www.aduanas.sat.gob.mx/aduana_mexico/2008/vehiculos/141_11213.html

Inicioarrow_02.gifVehículosarrow_02.gifAutomóviles
Plazos del permiso

Los plazos del permiso son los siguientes:

Para mexicanos en el extranjero

El plazo que se otorga es hasta por 180 días en un periodo de doce meses; este caso, los seis meses son improrrogables y se computan en entradas y salidas múltiples efectuadas dentro del periodo de 12 meses contados a partir de la primera entrada a territorio nacional.

Para extranjeros

El plazo que se otorga para retornar los vehículos es el de la vigencia de la calidad migratoria, sus prórrogas, ampliaciones, refrendos o cambio en la calidad migratoria de no inmigrante a inmigrante rentista, siempre y cuando exista continuidad en las calidades migratorias otorgadas, conforme la Ley de la materia; por lo que la vigencia del permiso de importación temporal del vehículo se podrá acreditar con el documento oficial que emita la autoridad migratoria, sin que se requiera autorización de las autoridades aduaneras.
última modificación :
06/julio/2010, 13:10, información vigente.

Being a Permanent Resident with a foreign plated car I personally, while somewhat stressed over the issue, will not panic. Very recently when my wife called Aduana 01 55 58 02 0000 ext 61361 she spoke in Spanish with Mariana Gonzalez, Operaciones Aduanera. My wife used my example, a foreign plated car and Permanent Resident. The call was about 5 minutes. Mariana stated if Permanent Resident and legally in Mexico, car is legal and it can not be confiscated based on what I have posted. She stated in my situation our car is legal. She directed my wife to the following web site which states in bottom right it is current. I realize this situation is fluid but as I noted we will not panic. Others can certainly do as they please including calling the number above.

http://www.aduanas.sat.gob.mx/aduana_mexico/2008/vehiculos/141_11213.htmlhttp://www.aduanas.sat.gob.mx/aduana_mexico/2008/vehiculos/141_11213.html

Also, some of this does not make sense. The reason is that Permanent Resident visas are preapproved at a consulate. Let's say this happens in Vancouver Canada. At this time the applicant likely would not know about the car issue. They drive to Mexico and have 30 days to obtain their Permanent Resident visa. IF, they discover the car is "illegal" once in Mexico and the visa is in process the scenario would be to complete finger prints, get a letter permitting travel outside of the country while visa is in progress, drive back to Canada and sell car, fly back to Mexico and pick up their visa. Call me naive, but I doubt this is the intent. I believe and others can disagree, there will be an actual law and soon allowing a grandfathering of our cars or say 6 months to nationalize at a reasonable fee or some other solution.

If one takes a foreign plated car from Canada to the US or the US to Canada they have 6 months to import their vehicle at a cost of a very few hundred dollars. I realize they have to meet emissions and safety standards but nearly all do as Canada has harmonized these standards with the US. I personally have a car that has been legally registered in Cnaad and the uS and know the process is relatively easy. Fingers crossed Mexico is about to make similar laws.

Some suggest confiscation etc but to believe this I need to truly be told of a confiscation including the persons name and that the only issue was PR visa and foreign plated vehicle to justify the confiscation and that the confiscation was legal vs some rogue cop looking for mordida.

Meanwhile, Mexguy (I think that is his handle) and your local Chamber of Commerce are working on solutions and they should be applauded for taking on this endeavour. I applaud both and look forward to hearing the resolution which I sincerely believe they will find.

Great post and welcome back!

Well did you ask the lady about the letter they are sending out?

I spent a few hours at SAT in Guadalajara today to become a somewhat expert on the Retorno Seguro, we can get them in 24 hours, we will charge 1,000 pesos to do it. Gives you 5 business days to drive your car out of the country.

Question:

Don't these:

describe the old FM3 and FM2?

Yes they do. That was back in July 2010 almost 3 years ago. Now with inmigrado then and not allowing you to own a foreign plated vehicle they do not apply with Residente Permanente inmigrado as there is no Residente Permanente Rentista anymore.

Thanks... I will try again and will post words. We carry these words in our car and her number.

http://www.aduanas.sat.gob.mx/aduana_mexico/2008/vehiculos/141_11213.html

Inicioarrow_02.gifVehículosarrow_02.gifAutomóviles
Plazos del permiso

Los plazos del permiso son los siguientes:

Para mexicanos en el extranjero

El plazo que se otorga es hasta por 180 días en un periodo de doce meses; este caso, los seis meses son improrrogables y se computan en entradas y salidas múltiples efectuadas dentro del periodo de 12 meses contados a partir de la primera entrada a territorio nacional.

Para extranjeros

El plazo que se otorga para retornar los vehículos es el de la vigencia de la calidad migratoria, sus prórrogas, ampliaciones, refrendos o cambio en la calidad migratoria de no inmigrante a inmigrante rentista, siempre y cuando exista continuidad en las calidades migratorias otorgadas, conforme la Ley de la materia; por lo que la vigencia del permiso de importación temporal del vehículo se podrá acreditar con el documento oficial que emita la autoridad migratoria, sin que se requiera autorización de las autoridades aduaneras.

última modificación :

06/julio/2010, 13:10, información vigente.

Exactly what does it mean? My Google Translate doesn't make a lot of sense.

Glad you are back. Don't tick anyone off again, please.

Exactly what does it mean? My Google Translate doesn't make a lot of sense.

Glad you are back. Don't tick anyone off again, please.

I think it means if you changed from non inmigrante [new laminated card instead of the old FM3 booklet] a FM3 visa holder to an inmigrante [also a new laminated card at that time] a FM2 visa holder with the Rentista [Retiree] classification you could keep your TIP back when they changed to laminated cards in 2010. Alan

Good grief. Now we have folks from the states of Baja California, San Luis Potosi and Guanajuato trying to tell us what is correct, when even Chapala and GDL cannot agree. I have never been happier to know that I have one more year as temporal before I am forced to go permanente, which I will do yelling and screaming. Roll the dice and take your choice. Buenas suerte.

stop focusing on negativity.

the op asked if her husband can drive a car imported by her, I believe the answer is yes.

At the bottom of the Aduana page beside the date is also says: "información vigente" which means current information. This was stressed to us by the person we called.

Others can call and ask at the number provided vs arguing what we perceive. Then please share as anything can be possible.

By discovering what other areas are doing we all learn. For example in Chapala people discovered past years may count towards a PR visa as was being done elsewhere. Then with asking it was discovered it was true and Chapala INM got on board. We can all learn by sharing what is happening throughout the country. Same happened with proving financials after 4 years. In Chapala they asked for financials when not required. Again and by discovering practice elsewhere in Mexico, pressure was put on your local INM and they got on board.

Hernan Santiago, on 26 Apr 2013 - 16:25, said:
Good grief. Now we have folks from the states of Baja California, San Luis Potosi and Guanajuato trying to tell us what is correct, when even Chapala and GDL cannot agree. I have never been happier to know that I have one more year as temporal before I am forced to go permanente, which I will do yelling and screaming. Roll the dice and take your choice. Buenas suerte.

Herman you will learn that Ajijic has been right 100% of the time that I've been able to keep count. His Mexican wife stays on top of immigration as well as Seguro Popular and IMSS. Ajijic was telling us what should be happening weeks or months before it finally occurred with Chapala INM.

I'm glad Ajijic is back on the board.

Simple question, would like a simple answer. I am in the process of going Permanente and was fingerprinted yesterday. Due to the fact that INM made a mistake on her FM3 she had prorroga 2 where I had a 4. She is renewing her FM3.

Both of our names appear as owners on the title to our SD plated vehicle but the TIP is in my name. If I take the vehicle back to TX and turn in the TIP and when we return to MX we get a new TIP in her name. Can I drive the vehicle legally in MX being Permanente?

Remember the insured driver is not necessarily just the car owner. You should be talking to your insurance agent. The rules on who is insured while driving your car are different here in Mexico from policies up North. It is a simple question for the person handling your coverage,a dangerous one to rely on a chat board for an answer.

A friend is in the process of trying to sell her house at 1/3 less than she paid for it. It is still on the market going on 8 months. Meanwhile she has a permanente and driving a foreign plated car. She wants to get a returno when the house sells and drive her personals back to the states. The car is 15 years old and does not have a lot of value. If she is caught driving now what are the consequences? Impound the car. Okay, she can live with that. Any others?