Chapala.com Webboard

Nationalize Car by Selling to a Mexican?

What exactly does the US Customs do in the exportation process ? I ask because I am interested in a car that has been imported which I might want to drive into the US. If I get pulled over and the officer does a VIN check, will there be a problem even though it will have legal Mexican plates ? I heard once  that exported cars might be labeled as "stolen"... which would obviously be a problem.

US customs enters it into their system and isues an export document. Their system verifys that it is not stolen.  With that export document Aduana has proof that the vehicle being imported is not stolen. If you drive the nationalized vehicle into the USA you are now driving a Mexican vehicle. It is the same as a vehicle built in the USA and sent by the manufacturer  to a new car dealer in Mexico as far as the US is concerned. If a policeman stops you they ask for your DL registration and insurance info. If you want to check the record you can go the national insurance bureau crime website and enter the vin for a free check

Three years ago I sold my 2004 NAFTA car with expired Canadian plates to a Mexican friend.  He drove it to the border and imported the car.  It took him two days.  He paid sales tax, duties, etc.  He also had to do something with the car in Guadalajara after he returned.  I purchased the car back a month later.  Not cheap but it can be done.

11 hours ago, RickS said:

Where in the world did you once hear that vehicle exported from the US might be labeled as 'stolen'???  

You are 'right' of course to ask this question but that rumor takes the cake for me.

johnnyintrouble said so ..lol