Chapala.com Webboard

Nationalize Car by Selling to a Mexican?

Doesn't it cost a Mexican citizen the same amount of money, Aduana fees and license fees as it cost a foreigner? Why would it be cheaper for them and also what about the problem of a citizen driving a foreign plated vehicle before it is nationalized?

Doesn't it cost a Mexican citizen the same amount of money, Aduana fees and license fees as it cost a foreigner? Why would it be cheaper for them and also what about the problem of a citizen driving a foreign plated vehicle before it is nationalized?

Mexicans can nationalize 10 year old or older cars with no duty or taxes. I don´t know if it has to be done at the border. US citizens with INM documents can nationalize it at the border in Mexicali for a total cost of $5,000 pesos plus a $400.00 peso 15 day temporary transit permit to drive it south. All confirmed and legal.

I have read Laredo importers charge about double.

Plus people have used a large truck transport secured vehicle carrier company from Mexicali to transport the vehicle from Puerto Vallarta and back for $10,000 pesos. I think they did not accompany the vehicle but DHLed their documents to the importer. Alan

Mexicans can nationalize 10 year old or older cars with no duty or taxes. I don´t know if it has to be done at the border. US citizens with INM documents can nationalize it at the border in Mexicali for a total cost of $5,000 pesos plus a $400.00 peso 15 day temporary transit permit to drive it south. All confirmed and legal.

I have read Laredo importers charge about double.

Plus people have used a large truck transport secured vehicle carrier company from Mexicali to transport the vehicle from Puerto Vallarta and back for $10,000 pesos. I think they did not accompany the vehicle but DHLed their documents to the importer. Alan

Can they nationalize an older than 10 year vehicle for a permanente? Who is the broker?

Can they nationalize an older than 10 year vehicle for a permanente? Who is the broker?

Yes he can and I have know this guy since 2006 when he imported my friend´s Chevy pickup for $500.00 US. I will PM you with his info. I was at his office 2 times in January and Feb. asking about my vehicle, J built, only legal in the frontera states [Free Zone]. I don´t want to drive a Baja plated car here so am shopping for a vehicle in San Diego, which has at the moment cheap vehicles on Auto Trader . com. The vehicles in the San Antonio Auto Trader are more expensive at the moment. 1984 to 2007 NAFTA built vehicles are legal to import and nationalize south of the frontera states. Under 1984 are classified as classics and cost much more in duty and taxes. Alan

Yes he can and I have know this guy since 2006 when he imported my friend´s Chevy pickup for $500.00 US. I will PM you with his info. I was at his office 2 times in January and Feb. asking about my vehicle, J built, only legal in the frontera states [Free Zone]. I don´t want to drive a Baja plated car here so am shopping for a vehicle in San Diego, which has at the moment cheap vehicles on Auto Trader . com. The vehicles in the San Antonio Auto Trader are more expensive at the moment. 1984 to 2007 NAFTA built vehicles are legal to import and nationalize south of the frontera states. Under 1984 are classified as classics and cost much more in duty and taxes. Alan

Yesterday Intercasa posted: " . . . the vehicle is a no brainer, i.e. 6 to 10 year old NAFTA car."

So what is correct? How old can a NAFTA car be to nationalize?

Yesterday Intercasa posted: " . . . the vehicle is a no brainer, i.e. 6 to 10 year old NAFTA car."

So what is correct? How old can a NAFTA car be to nationalize?

http://www.aduanas-mexico.com.mx/claa/ctar/leyes/mec_precios_estimados.html#ane2

Here is the ADUANA Mexican values that lists some values of importable vehicles that ALL importers base the 10% duty on. If they have your vehicle listed here I imagine you could estimate your total cost you would pay to ADUANA and see if the importers´s fee is fair that you get a quote from. They list older than 10 year old vehicles. The Mexicali importer stated NAFTA built vehicle 1984 to 2007. This is a partial list only. Alan

This is an interesting topic for me. We have a Toyota Highlander that unfortunately we'll have to get rid of. Being as it's 12 years old and we've gotten great use out of it I'm not as upset as if it had been a lot newer. My wife is a Mexican citizen, born here but lived most of her life in the U.S.. So what it looks like, if I'm understanding matters correctly, we could bring a used car down and have my wife have it nationalized.

Can any Mexican citizen do this? Is there somewhere to look as to the procedure? We still have about 6 months before we need to take action but it's best to plan ahead.

The newest agreement is now 2007 and under cars can be imported at the border [under 1984 cars are classified as classics] ,

"Beginning January 1, 2013, Mexico is obligated to not prohibit or restrict the import of used cars from the United States and Canada whose year model to be of six or more years old, in accordance with the Treaty of American Free Trade North (NAFTA).

Until 31 last December, that same rule applied for vehicles whose year model was of eight or more years. Outside this exception, customs of Mexico impose a tariff of 50% for those who import used vehicles, very above the rate of 10% who must pay the units that enter within the clause of NAFTA.

The new measure occurs when of October 2005 to October of 2012, latest available data, in Mexico were imported six million 532,000 used cars, an amount which equates almost to the totality (95.1%) of units new placed in the country during the same period.

In NAFTA, Mexico agreed not to prohibit or restrict the importation of vehicles originating in the United States or Canada from 2009 to at least 10 years old and, from 2011, with at least eight years.

U.S. and Canadian exporters remain the same right but reducing the old, used vehicles two years on, so that in 2013 applies to vehicles with at least six years old and in 2019 any used motor vehicle may sell it the Mexican market."

http://eleconomista.com.mx/industrias/2013/01/07/mexico-baja-arancel-importacion-automoviles-usados

This is an interesting topic for me. We have a Toyota Highlander that unfortunately we'll have to get rid of. Being as it's 12 years old and we've gotten great use out of it I'm not as upset as if it had been a lot newer. My wife is a Mexican citizen, born here but lived most of her life in the U.S.. So what it looks like, if I'm understanding matters correctly, we could bring a used car down and have my wife have it nationalized.

Can any Mexican citizen do this? Is there somewhere to look as to the procedure? We still have about 6 months before we need to take action but it's best to plan ahead.

Some people have the notion SAT [ADUANA] can arbitrarily grandfather Expat´s non allowed vehicles in, but it appears the NAFTA agreement is what dictates the year, type and duty that is legal here in Mexico and cannot be changed without Mexico, Canada and the US ratifying the NAFTA agreement. It appears to protect the interests of all 3 counties, not able to be changed at the whim of Mexican politicians.

Can anyone address the original question, please?

It appears a Mexican can buy your car through a form called Carta Responsiva legal form. Then I would assume this person can nationalized the car under the SAT ADUANA rules that apply to everyone including any legal resident of Mexico [you]. What would be the point? Alan

Alan Mexicali seems to think he knows what's going on, but I don't think he does.

In the other thread that Intercasa started, it clearly states that if you are Permanente, you can no longer Nationalize a car. And if you drive it AFTER you are Permanente, you are doing so illegaly and your car will become impounded and you'll go to jail.

Alan Mexicali seems to think he knows what's going on, but I don't think he does.

In the other thread that Intercasa started, it clearly states that if you are Permanente, you can no longer Nationalize a car. And if you drive it AFTER you are Permanente, you are doing so illegaly and your car will become impounded and you'll go to jail.

Intercasa was definitely stating importing a car but left out the clarifying word, which he later corrected "temporarily" =TIP and was not talking about nationalizing a vehicle at all. Alan

The newest agreement is now 2007 and under cars can be imported at the border [under 1984 cars are classified as classics] ,

"Beginning January 1, 2013, Mexico is obligated to not prohibit or restrict the import of used cars from the United States and Canada whose year model to be of six or more years old, in accordance with the Treaty of American Free Trade North (NAFTA).

Until 31 last December, that same rule applied for vehicles whose year model was of eight or more years. Outside this exception, customs of Mexico impose a tariff of 50% for those who import used vehicles, very above the rate of 10% who must pay the units that enter within the clause of NAFTA.

The new measure occurs when of October 2005 to October of 2012, latest available data, in Mexico were imported six million 532,000 used cars, an amount which equates almost to the totality (95.1%) of units new placed in the country during the same period.

In NAFTA, Mexico agreed not to prohibit or restrict the importation of vehicles originating in the United States or Canada from 2009 to at least 10 years old and, from 2011, with at least eight years.

U.S. and Canadian exporters remain the same right but reducing the old, used vehicles two years on, so that in 2013 applies to vehicles with at least six years old and in 2019 any used motor vehicle may sell it the Mexican market."

http://eleconomista.com.mx/industrias/2013/01/07/mexico-baja-arancel-importacion-automoviles-usados

Thanks for the post However, as usual the translation is at best gobbly gook- Maybe Intercasa or Liana can give us the correct version

You have been very helpful -I dont think the question has been answered

You did state the following-

Mexicans can nationalize 10 year old or older cars with no duty or taxes

I don´t know if it has to be done at the border.

It appears a Mexican can buy your car through a form called Carta Responsiva legal form

Then I would assume this person can nationalized the car under the SAT ADUANA rules that apply to everyone including any legal resident of Mexico [you]. What would be the point? Alan

I am confused and guess the OP is as well as it is certainly contradictory if the OP sells or transfers the car to his wife

Expats with Mexican family members should be able to use this option-

-

• 6 years later...

Please find a way to archive these very old thread so this doesn't happen.  It is not that hard.  Old information is worse than wrong information in some cases.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ozalene said:

This is all 6 year old information. Does anyone have any more recent info? We will have to nationalize our car in December, and not sure if it is worth it. Are there any alternatives?

1.  It's not

2. Take it back NOB and sell it or find someone who can do that for you.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Ozalene said:

This is all 6 year old information. Does anyone have any more recent info? We will have to nationalize our car in December, and not sure if it is worth it. Are there any alternatives?

Only a NAFTA built vehicle can be Nationalized. There are some restrictions as to how *new* that vehicle can be in order to Nationalize. The Nationalization must be done at the border by a bonded agent. Part of the process must be to first Export it from the US which the agent can do. The process takes a couple of days. Depending on the age of the vehicle the cost can range from $2500 to $4,000 and then it must be titled/licensed in the state where you will live. 

Unless there is some really good reason to go through all of this, most folks would just sell it in the US/Canada and buy a Mexican plated vehicle once here.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RickS said:

Only a NAFTA built vehicle can be Nationalized. There are some restrictions as to how *new* that vehicle can be in order to Nationalize. The Nationalization must be done at the border by a bonded agent. Part of the process must be to first Export it from the US which the agent can do. The process takes a couple of days. Depending on the age of the vehicle the cost can range from $2500 to $4,000 and then it must be titled/licensed in the state where you will live. 

Unless there is some really good reason to go through all of this, most folks would just sell it in the US/Canada and buy a Mexican plated vehicle once here.

Not just Nafta built. There are many newer vehicles here that were made in Asia but imported by a car dealership. these can be nationalized. 

On 4/28/2013 at 12:52 PM, privado said:

Thanks for the post However, as usual the translation is at best gobbly gook- Maybe Intercasa or Liana can give us the correct version

You have been very helpful -I dont think the question has been answered

You did state the following-

Mexicans can nationalize 10 year old or older cars with no duty or taxes

I don´t know if it has to be done at the border.

It appears a Mexican can buy your car through a form called Carta Responsiva legal form

Then I would assume this person can nationalized the car under the SAT ADUANA rules that apply to everyone including any legal resident of Mexico [you]. What would be the point? Alan

I am confused and guess the OP is as well as it is certainly contradictory if the OP sells or transfers the car to his wife

Expats with Mexican family members should be able to use this option-

-

On 4/28/2013 at 12:52 PM, privado said:

This article is about importing MEXICAN cars to the USA.  Does not address the OP's question.

The process requires that the vehicle was manufactured in USA or Canada or Mecico First step is vehicle is "exported" by US Customs. Then it is "sold" to the licensed importation  company. Then it is inspected by a 3rd party (safety & emissions). Then driven into Mexico by the importation co. and inspect by Aduana.  Fees are paid and the Aduana places an import sticker on the windshield. Then the importer "sells" you the vehicle and gives you a factura. You buy a trip permit and have 4 days to present it at the state where you will register it. At the state level the vehicle will inspected to verify it is the same as the factura then you pay tax & registration fees. They issue the license plates and registration.  A broker you can talk to in Laredo is Quality Imports. Their phone is 956 727 7880. Website quality-imports.com

Process can be done in 2 working days.

• Thanks 1