Chapala.com Webboard

1.5 million USD?

LCS is currently undertaking a survey of members for a major undertaking and total renovations of current property, which could total as much as 1.5 million USD on the current property. I have some thoughts on this. How do I become a part of the survey after 8 years of membership? Anyone else have thoughts on this issue and want to be a part of this survey?

LCS needs to put its priority on addressing declining membership which is partly due to the immigration/car issues that are causing the local expat community to thin out, and partly because it needs to figure out what its mission is and redefine itself to be more relevant so that it will attract more members. Short of striking oil on the property I can't see how this organization could raise a million and a half U.S. in a million and a half years.

This feels like mixed up priorities. The physical plant become irrelevant if the membership base continues to decline.

I think the LCS could take a lesson from the American Legion in Chapala who have been very innovative and active in developing new ideas and activities that get people through the door.

• 1 month later...

I've been a dues paying member for years; they have my email address and I've never been contacted about a survey.

Why not?

I don't think the car issue or INM in general has anything to do with LCS declining membership. There are much more important issues that cause people to move elsewhere; health, family, etc. The declining membership probably has more to do with the aging and dying population and the lack of programs which capture the interest of the younger newcomers.

Gringal makes a very good point; actually two of them: LCS became less and less interesting to us as we aged, then moved to Chapala. On the other point, the younger crowd is wired to cyberspace and asks their questions here and in social media, wanting instant responses, rather than relaxing over coffee or exploring on foot to find their answers the way most of us did before internet was available here. It is a different, faster world. If LCS can find a way to cater to both, I will be surprised, but it just might be possible. How and where remains the question.

As such, I would suggest that any survey include the wider community, not just current members. Ex-members may have suggestions, as might newbies who have never considered joining. One needs to ask why the old timers faded away and what might interest the young newbies, who tend to be around 15 years our junior and grew up in a different world. Too different for some, perhaps creating a generation gap of sorts.

Younger people are not nearly as gregarious (sp?) as the baby boomers are. When I talk to them about LCS they like the Mexican activities and such but don't feel we offer much as they have computers and such. They really are different in how they think. Remember the current young adult generation thinks they would rather have a cell phone than a car showing priorities. If I had to stereotype this it would probably be at 50 years old that things change compared to older than 50 folks. We (over 50) are very different. Many younger folks working down here using computers and internet. Many younger folks here homeschooling there children. These are very different activities than the more mature folks. Time will tell but if the trend continues LCS might have to become more Mexican oriented to survive. Believe me the powers to be at LCS know all about this and are working on it.It is also a

very different problem to solve.

• 3 months later...

Archived