Chapala.com Webboard

Bad News - Written bad news Aduana Residente Permanente

I just don't get it. Most of the cars you can buy in the U.S. weren't built there. Chevys are going to be coming from China, for hevvins sake. So what's with the determination to buy a car in the U.S.? Look at the Blue Book price, compare it to the prices for the same car in Mexico, and then figure out why you want the hassle of having a foreign plated car here.

We did, and there's hardly any difference. They got rid of that onerous tax several years ago.

And you still pay 16% IVA plus no deals here, so that's the same price here? HUH???

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can import a brand new car from the U.S. but why would anyone want to go though the hassle? the car has to have less than 1k kilometers, you have to hire a custom agent pay taxes and then go through the process of getting Jalisco plates.

"I would advise all residente permanente people to immediately NOT drive their vehicles...." I can only imagine the hysteria that comment has caused and for what reason? Spencer, you are a great source of information to us and we are a great source of income for you. I think that is an even trade. But don't you think you went just a little over the top with that comment? What do you suggest we do for transportation?

Many of us have used a combination of walking and the local buses. If you are not crippled you might consider this alternative at least temporarily until you are able to use a car.

The buses are not bad. They are cheap and I see a lot of gringos using them. We avoid them when school lets out for the day but other than that you can usually find a seat. Local buses come by every 15 minutes. We bring bags of groceries home from supermarkets on the bus (lots of gringos do) when we need to but our Mexican neighbors have introduced us to buying groceries at the local aborrotes and fruit/vegetable stores every day--fresh and friendly and a lot less costly.

We've actually made friends standing at bus stops, sitting on the bus and buying at local tiendas (owners love repeat business and become very interested in your welfare when they see you come in again). All in all, you don't have to panic when you can't use a car unless you have hidden yourself away in some community far away from Mexican village life or a bus stop. I don't mean that to make a negative comment. I just realize that some folks choose not to live within walking distance of the carretera or buses. If you do, however, buses and walking can actually be fun and good for your health. Perhaps a cab would be the only alternative for some areas.

Jhon

the cars here do not lose their value as fast as he US cars so you probably will be ok when you sell it. Buy a use car since you are not planning to have it for very long.If you look at it logically you can take the rik of nationalizing your car and have problems because it is not legal or the rules change agai or you can go to the States sell your car and by a used one here that you will sell when you leave. You seem to be the type that will keep the used car in excellent shape so you probably be able to sell it at a good price .

And you still pay 16% IVA plus no deals here, so that's the same price here? HUH???

Ajijicis4me, IVA is included in the price of any car you buy in Mexico. It's a sales tax. The difference between list prices in Mexico and the USA is that you pay sales tax OVER AND ABOVE the list price of any car you buy in the States. It works out that you pay essentially the same price in Mexico as in the USA, once you factor the USA sales tax into the cost of a vehicle.

Re your statement in post #73:

"Or is the Mexican gov't FORCING foreigners to buy cars here? That should be illegal."

The Mexican government is not forcing you to buy a car in Mexico. There are many other transportation options for you: car pool, ride share, bus, taxi, bicycle, shank's mare (that means walking, in case you've forgotten).

The Mexican government--the agency Instituto Nacional de Migración (INM)--is requiring you to comply with some different immigration regulations. Things change, and things HAVE changed. The FM-2 and the FM-3 have been combined into one visa status: Residente Temporal. Inmigrado is now called Residente Permanente and the requirements for that status are different from before this change.

Aduana (one part of the agency Servicio de Administración Tributaria, or SAT) has not changed its rules, as Spencer clarified yesterday in a link. Any foreign person present in Mexico with a 180-day tourist card OR holding a Residente Temporal visa is permitted to drive a vehicle with foreign license plates. Any Residente Permanente is required to drive a vehicle with Mexican license plates. The latter is no different from the case of a person holding what used to be called an Inmigrado visa. Both the latter are permissions to reside permanently in Mexico.

It's time for people to understand this. This change is not 'against' foreigners, no matter what your paranoia tells you.

Ain't it grand to for you to imagine telling me to ignore my "paranoia" in the face of all the obvious other red flags? And, in one indirect respect, you are right, it's not against foreigners - it's ultimately against the Mexican people who work for me, so I'm sure you'll be able to explain to them why they're no longer employed, why I no longer slip them $500p when they seem to need it, why I no longer pay their annual bonus's and why I no longer bring them Christmas presents like leaf blowers & reciprocating saws to make their work easier.

Thanks Spencer. I didn't mean you personally :)

All I can say is "WOW" !!!

No car from any other country can be imported and nationalized anymore.

Can Mexico get any more unfriendly for expats.

Jeez!! you're mixed up.

Warning

Imported motor vehicles are subject to safety standards under the Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966.

The same applies to Mexico. You can nationalize but you have to follow the regulations which might vary from country to country.

Ain't it grand to for you to imagine telling me to ignore my "paranoia" in the face of all the obvious other red flags? And, in one indirect respect, you are right, it's not against foreigners - it's ultimately against the Mexican people who work for me, so I'm sure you'll be able to explain to them why they're no longer employed, why I no longer slip them $500p when they seem to need it, why I no longer pay their annual bonus's and why I no longer bring them Christmas presents like leaf blowers & reciprocating saws to make their work easier.

Where did I mention ignoring your paranoia?

What do the changes in the INM regulations have to do with your status as an employer? Elaborate--I'd truly like to know.

First off, Aduana has applied its old rules to a new immigration law. And that new law materially changes the relationship between temporary visas and permanent visas, which in turn drastically and basically overnight changes the car situation for a lot of people. It amazes me that some of you can't seem to understand this despite it having been explained ad nauseum on this board.

Permanente is NOT the same as Immigrado. Immigrado was voluntary and one could chose it any time after five years on FM2. Permanente is MANDATORY after 4 years unless you want to risk home and possessions and leave the country to renew Temporal (although now I see reports that Temporal without leaving is being allowed in PV, still more chaos).

As I noted above, I would be willing to bet that all the smug ones here who bought Mexican cars did so because they needed a car and made the smart decision to go Mexican. I suspect you wouldn't be so smug if you were in the situation that many of us are, seeing first the new law taking over a year and a half to even implement, then total confusion at local INM offices--do they just look at the number on the previous card or do they count all years? The change to the latter made about a month ago.

Do they apply financials to everyone or do they grandfather existing FM2/FM3? Depending on where you were st, could have been anywhere from November to February.

What about the car rules? Not a damn word on that and both yes and no answers given by Aduana up until less than a few weeks ago. And then with no warning whatsoever, confiscating some cars.

Do you really think this is reasonable handling of this business? Do you really believe that this craziness, combined with the ridiculous new income requirements is going to encourage people to stay, let alone new people to come?

Get real.

There are deals here. Several times a year there are Promotions/sale prices at dealers.

I got 15,000 pesos off my Honda by buying it just before the new models came out. I noticed that dealers in Guad have Promotions in early January. Also watch the exchange rate and time your buying.

I don't understand why everyone is so surprised. Spencer has warned expats over and over again that this might happen. It is not Spencer's fault and this is Mexico and they are entitled to make their own rules and laws. If you have a foreign plated car get rid of it and buy another one that is Mexican plated here. What is the big deal. You have known about the possibility for a long time but just didn't want to give up your car with expired plates etc. Now you will have to pay a fee every year just like all the Mexicans Boo Hoo to you. Follow the rules and regs of your guest country!

He sure did. Why he started warning us. . . a few weeks ago! Wowza.

Just before that, he and I were having a conversation about how he might nationalize his foreign plated truck. As if he had any more warning than the rest of us.

You're right though, you don't understand much at all. But feel free to send me a check for the $10K or so I'm going to be out on the exchange. That would be very nice of you and I'm sure some others would appreciate your largesse as well.

:)

I´m in Puerto Vallarta so you´ll have to excuse the intrusion of a foreigner.in this discussion. I´ll be brief.

I just wanted to thank Mainecoons for saying what so many of us feel about some of the very unfair comments made by many people who are not personally affected by this squeeze (on all Forums)..

Those who say we should have done this and that, or known this and that, seem to forget the important point made by Mainecoons that, at least those of us with early renewal dates (November, December 2012, January 2013) were NOT given a choice to remain temporary. At the time we first went into Migración in early January 2013 to inquire about the new system, the officials barely knew the rules themselves. Under the old law, we would have been going in for our 4th refrendo--giving us a year to decide what we wanted to do and, importantly, to look into the matter of importing (which we can´t unless an exception is made) or replacing our current Japanese built SUV. We need a rugged vehicle because we have a rural property which is not on any bus line and which is app. 30 miles from the Vallarta airport.

If, in fact, the Puerto Vallarta office is now allowing people with 4 years residency (and I don´t know this for sure and haven´t heard anything on our local forums) to choose to remain temporary, when they didn´t earlier, it makes me wonder "what next?" This IS chaos (if it´s true).

Btw, thanks to the helpful post regarding good times to buy a car.

Actually, liana, you're right, I'm not paranoid, it's flat out obvious they just stuck the knife under my ribs and I'm waiting for them to twist to increase the blood flow. Gringos have obviously been tagged as cash cows and they're going to bleed every drop they can get - however, as usual, greed is usually it's own undoing.

As a renter and resident of MX I employ a host of people, gardeners, pool people, maintenance people, rental officina staff, through rental I pay for taxes to Hacienda, I pay MX taxes through Bancomer to whomever, I pay for SIMAPA to pump mud to mi casa, I buy filers to filter out the mud SIMAPA pumps to me now and then, I pay CFE to burn out my equipment at $.40/KWH USD and then I pay Office Depot list + import + IVA to replace that equipment. I pay Pemex and from there it's WalMart, Soriana, Mega, Home Depot, restaurants and shops in Tonala, Tlaquepaque, Guad and up and down the N lakeshore. I pay car washes, oil change places and repair facilities. I pay tolls on the cuotas, the other day I paid Interjet to fly me to CA for a family funeral, I paid the aeropuerto $677p to park while I was gone, I pay a local company for a mailbox, I buy the local weekly reader which is now almost up to $.10 per page, I buy hardware to repair and maintain mi casa both locally and in Guad, last year I paid $13,300 pesos for a generator to supplement the CFE and on and on and - may I say just to hammer home the point - ON!

And, you want to know whom I "employ"? - you're kidding right?

Edit:

Ha, I just walked out on the deck to see a perfect example: I pay roughly $150/month for my pool - which I never use - but I pay for the pool guys, chemicals (bought in MX) CFE to circulate the verde agua etc., that's $1,800 a year or nearly $220,000p into the MXN economy just for a puddle of water that more often than not looks like Devi's Swamp in lower Mississippi - actually, I don't employ, I just stand on the upper deck and throw money to the Mexican winds and you want me to be humble and understanding? - sure, why not?

PS: liana, I didn't directly answer your specific question: It means I'll no longer enjoy living in MX and leave as will others and soon you won't have the "employer" income I, and others, provide.

We can renew temporal without leaving country but you renew late, pay a fine and as such break the continuity in your immigration document thereby voiding your import permit.

Jhon

the cars here do not lose their value as fast as he US cars so you probably will be ok when you sell it. Buy a use car since you are not planning to have it for very long.If you look at it logically you can take the rik of nationalizing your car and have problems because it is not legal or the rules change agai or you can go to the States sell your car and by a used one here that you will sell when you leave. You seem to be the type that will keep the used car in excellent shape so you probably be able to sell it at a good price .

The next car I buy will be a USED Luxury SUV which will be my last car due to my age of 69 and my finances.

Now tell me that used cars in Mexico are anywhere near as good as used cars in the US.

Mainecoons - I agree with you 1,000%, especially about those who bought Mexican plated cars. I hope they like inferior used cars after they've been beat up.

I chose to keep my perfect 3 year old vehicle which is better than what most of you are driving now. Except my vehicle is now 15 years old and still better than most.

Archived