Chapala.com Webboard

Bad News - Written bad news Aduana Residente Permanente

Well the car issue has been a hot topic for many people. Just right now we received a response to the vehicle notifications we do for residente permanente where they rejected the persons right to keep their vehicle and said as it was equivalent to inmigrado before and it is for being permanently in Mexico and the vehicle importation is temporary that the person cannot have their vehicle here and must use the retorno seguro to remove it. I have scanned the relevant page we received today. I would advise all residente permanente people to immediately NOT drive their vehicles due to Aduanas oral policy now being in writing, even though it remains a gray area of law to prevent impounding of vehicles in the event of a traffic stop or accident where it may be a hassle to get the vehicle back.

http://www.chapalalaw.com/SAT%20Permanente.pdf

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So if I have a vehicle imported last year and now plan to go permanente, do I need to take the car back to the border and do this BEFORE starting the process to renew my Visa? Or is there a way to get started on the Visa, then drive the car north? My FM3 expires on Aug.8th, and I'll be taking a trip to the US in mid-July, so I'd like to have things in order by then if possible.

My husband is going to renew his Visa as temporary. We would like to keep my car, but re-import it under his name when we take it back north. Is this a legit way to handle? Any problems taking it back to the US, then back into Mexico under his name the next day?

Heather

leaving Sat 27th for a month and will be back May 23 ..... I can't do anything until I get back ..... driving my car NOB to sell it will cost more than I can get for a '98 windstar .........so !!! 1) can I donate it to "Mexico" or the Red Cross ? 2) can I junk it ?

3) is there ANYTHING I can do short of driving NOB ?

Drive it back before permit expires or FM2 or FM3 expires or get retorno seguro to legally drive on streets with expired permit or donate it to Mexican government or sell it to another foreigner who can legally temporarily import it. Or take your chances and junk it or sell it to anybody for parts while with some risk may be cheap and easy

Drive it back before permit expires or FM2 or FM3 expires or get retorno seguro to legally drive on streets with expired permit or donate it to Mexican government or sell it to another foreigner who can legally temporarily import it. Or take your chances and junk it or sell it to anybody for parts while with some risk may be cheap and easy

What is retorno seguro? And, when are you legally permanente--at the time you are fingerprinted or when you receive your card?

Well the car issue has been a hot topic for many people. Just right now we received a response to the vehicle notifications we do for residente permanente where they rejected the persons right to keep their vehicle and said as it was equivalent to inmigrado before and it is for being permanently in Mexico and the vehicle importation is temporary that the person cannot have their vehicle here and must use the retorno seguro to remove it. I have scanned the relevant page we received today. I would advise all residente permanente people to immediately NOT drive their vehicles due to Aduanas oral policy now being in writing, even though it remains a gray area of law to prevent impounding of vehicles in the event of a traffic stop or accident where it may be a hassle to get the vehicle back.

http://www.chapalalaw.com/SAT%20Permanente.pdf

"I would advise all residente permanente people to immediately NOT drive their vehicles...." I can only imagine the hysteria that comment has caused and for what reason? Spencer, you are a great source of information to us and we are a great source of income for you. I think that is an even trade. But don't you think you went just a little over the top with that comment? What do you suggest we do for transportation?

For Spencer - If you are only Inmigrado like me, this does not apply yet, is that correct?

When I go to Residente Permanente in October 31, at what point should I drive to the border to sell or get rid of the car?

Spencer is quite clear, John. Immediately upon becoming permanente, you own an illegal vehicle in Mexico and you will also no longer have insurance coverage

Spencer always says it the way it is.. Some people do not like to hear it. We always knew that residente permanente was like inmigrado, so this is not new. You can always get a letter from Spencer so you can drive to the border or Canada, that should cover you while you drive and are stopped.

I don´t want to cause panic but am not sure what to tell people. People need to know the negative risks their actions may have so they may plan accordingly and act with full prior disclosure of the possible consequences. Aduana who is the authority has verbally told us and now placed in writing their reasoning why residente permanente cannot import or drive foreign plated vehicles. If transito or the federal police were to call and aduana to ask if residente permanente can drive foreign plated cars they will be told no and then your vehicle could be impounded. I am pretty confident we could do an amparo to get your vehicle out but that would cost you thousands of pesos.

This issue has been brewing for a while and the lack of clarity in the law and suddenness isn´t fair, don´t shoot me the messenger please.

I have TONS of work and need a root canal which nobody can take me except tomorrow in Guadalajara. I will try to, as now it is urgent, get a good system to request the retorno seguro as well as the procedure for donating cars to the Mexican government.

I have seen no other news sources, blogs or anything on this issue so it may be a while before law enforcement in the state catches on and enforces so there may be a small window to keep driving without problems.

Last poster, don´t you mean inmigrante (FM2) and not inmigrado?

John

inmigrado and Residente permanente are the same thing. I am Inmigrado and I cannot own a foreign plated car. Are you Inmigrado or inmigrante?

You have to be Inmigrante if you are going to be Residente Permanente no Inmigrado.

Drive it back before permit expires or FM2 or FM3 expires or get retorno seguro to legally drive on streets with expired permit go or donate it to Mexican government or sell it to another foreigner who can legally temporarily import it. Or take your chances and junk it or sell it to anybody for parts while with some risk may be cheap and easy

Donate to Mexican government?? Now there's an irony.

Or--for those who love the thought of a conspiracy--do you think the Mex government is giving us a hard time for having US plated cars in the hopes we'll donote them to the govt if all else fails?

Lexy

"I would advise all residente permanente people to immediately NOT drive their vehicles...." I can only imagine the hysteria that comment has caused and for what reason? Spencer, you are a great source of information to us and we are a great source of income for you. I think that is an even trade. But don't you think you went just a little over the top with that comment? What do you suggest we do for transportation?

That advice is for those of us who follow rules and do not want to get into any trouble. It is sound advice I will follow.

If you are a risk taker,you can always keep driving and take your chances. I have a friend who lost their drivers licence, FM3, and import papers and drove around for a year. He just offered a few hundred pesos when he was stopped. I know some people who are going to continue to do that who think it is worth it because their vehicle is not worth enough to take out of the country or to import. They will just let them take it (the vehicle) if they don't accept the little consideration for overlooking the problem.

The big question is: Will your insurance still be valid? If so, maybe it is worth the risk. (Not to me, but for others I can see it) Maybe 500 pesos a year for Mordida. Just put it in your budget.

Glad that you guys are all set. What he suggested now leaves many folks with no transportation. Your concern for others is underwhelming.

Glad that you guys are all set. What he suggested now leaves many folks with no transportation. Your concern for others is underwhelming.

There are still buses and taxis. I know it is hard to learn how to cope, but many people do not have cars here. If you live in a rural area I do feel for you. That would be very tough.

I am not saying that, aduana is, so if you go to the border with your car ready to move to Mexico you may find you will be denied an import permit and be stuck at the border having to make other plans.

The Mexican government has given gringos and Canadians here a clear choice: Either get rid of your foreign-plated car or get out. There shouldn't be any hand-wringing, since this is the same choice that the U.S. and Canada offer immigrants who apply for permanent status.

The Mexican government has given gringos and Canadians here a clear choice: Either get rid of your foreign-plated car or get out. There shouldn't be any hand-wringing, since this is the same choice that the U.S. and Canada offer immigrants who apply for permanent status.

You're wrong. Americans can move to Canada and once they bring their car up to Canadian safety standards they can import it.

http://www.riv.ca/VehicleAdmissibility.aspx

And if you want to import a car to the US you are allowed according to this site.

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/trade/basic_trade/importing_car.xml

Archived