Chapala.com Webboard

Chamber of Commerce have a new deal with Inmigration Service

I am not clear on this. Is there a meeting? When and where is it? Are all of us invited and able to ask questions and have them answered? If so, hope it is a large venue, as it will be packed to the rafters with those of us expats who are trying to figure out whether to stay in Mexico or leave, which I think that very few of us want to do.

Hernan Greetings I mention that there is not a conference right through the chamber of commerce in our emails will be receiving their questions to the delegate of migration and will be answered by this same route with the assurance that it will delegate the answer. the Chamber of Commerce has 125 years and is a company that would risk not give any false promise or take money and abuse the situation. so if you like you can visit us tomorrow the day after 12 hrs but before you have to send the question that will do to migration and also send it to give you all the info you need clear and real. to chapala@camaradecomerciogdl.mx

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Foreigners are angry about:

sudden changes to immigration where no real answers are given, even after numerous meetings

Very high entrance requirements that basically say ... we don't want you here unless you're rich

Suddenly Mexico is not an expat friendly country.

not knowing or understanding what is going to happen with our cars

allowing us into the country under one law and then suddenly changing it ... even though no one really understand the changes or even know what they are yet

if we have to go north or south to legalize our cars we might as well keep on going and live somewhere else

not allowing many cars to be legalized as they are from "bad" countries

6 police officers arrested for kidnapping does not make people Mexican or Expat feel very comfortable here.

Many other countries offer better options than Mexico does and they are more friendly to people who are retired.

I think the Mexican government has made it very clear that if you don't have money Mexico does not want you.

Uruguay and Peru are looking very good right now. Panama and Nicaragua are very Expat friendly.

I really don't want to live where I feel I'm not wanted.

PS. One more thing.

Many of us are sick of the Vialidad / Transitos constantly looking for mordida and if we say no, threatening to take our automobiles. Could some ask them to STOP DOING THIS TO US.

I think that the Chapala of Commerce is very sincere in their attempt to help us and it would be most appropriate in this country of courtesy comes first to express gratitude for help rather than ranting at those that are trying to help us

To let everyone know, at a meeting with senior officials on the 15th of April, including those of Immigracion, an offer was made to us and the Lakeside Chamber of Commerce, for individuals to attend an ongoing series of seminars, at which a senior official of Immigracion will be there to answer any questions specifically related to the New Immigration Laws, Rules and Regulations.

The purpose of these seminars is to permit individuals to get the facts and answers to their questions, directly from the horses mouth, as the saying goes. These sessions are open to individuals only, not Immigration Facilitators.

I offered to be Moderator for these seminars, which will be ongoing every two weeks, and the following outlines how persons with questions will get them answered directly by the Immigracion official:

The Lakeside Chamber of Commerce has agreed to host a series of invitation only seminars regarding the New Immigration Laws and their Administrative Rules and Regulations. Recognizing there is a significant amount of confusion and disinformation about the changes, we at the Lakeside Chamber of Commerce have arranged for an Official of Immigration to directly provide answers to questions and other information to ensure persons attending these sessions are given the correct facts.

I have agreed to assist and be the Moderator, on behalf of Immigration and the Chamber of Commerce, and this is how this will work:

• Persons with questions for which they need answers will direct these questions to me, and I will then forward them to the Immigration Official, in advance of a given seminar. This will allow him time to ensure the response he then sends back to me is factually correct and to ensure the answer he provides at the seminar is clear and precise.

• Since, space is limited, I will be sending invitations to persons, so they can have their question answered by the Official. Persons without an invitation will not be permitted to enter, again because space is limited.

• In the situation where a number of the same questions are received, I will provide one or possibly two invitations and those not invited will receive the Official's actual answer which I previously received from him.

Note: As Moderator, I am well aware that foreign plated motor vehicles are a big issue with many people. It is not possible for the Official of Immigration to answer questions on this issue as the affecting laws are those of SAT (Hacienda) and Federal Transito. So, please ensure your questions are solely in respect to your situation and for which you need answers from Immigration.

Please forward your questions, as soon as possible to me at:

imnmoderator@outlook.com

Regards,

sudden changes to immigration where no real answers are given, even after numerous meetings

Very high entrance requirements that basically say ... we don't want you here unless you're rich

allowing us into the country under one law and then suddenly changing it ... even though no one really understand the changes or even know what they are yet

if we have to go north or south to legalize our cars we might as well keep on going and live somewhere else

6 police officers arrested for kidnapping does not make people Mexican or Expat feel very comfortable here.

Many other countries offer better options than Mexico does and they are more friendly to people who are retired.

I think the Mexican government has made it very clear that if you don't have money Mexico does not want you.

Uruguay and Peru are looking very good right now. Panama and Nicaragua are very Expat friendly.

PS. One more thing.

Many of us are sick of the Vialidad / Transitos constantly looking for mordida and if we say no, threatening to take our automobiles. Could some ask them to STOP DOING THIS TO US. If I violated the law I WANT to pay the ticket.

I remind you that for the question of the vehicles we are already working on that. This problem is not migration if the Secretary of Finance and Public Credit, so already receive prompt response to this problem, and told him that now modify the law where you can have a permit to travel in mexico without having to carry your vehicle to anywhere if you like I can give a mobile to your email. which can give you all the advice you need at low cost and above all reliable.

Hernan Greetings I mention that there is not a conference right through the chamber of commerce in our emails will be receiving their questions to the delegate of migration and will be answered by this same route with the assurance that it will delegate the answer. the Chamber of Commerce has 125 years and is a company that would risk not give any false promise or take money and abuse the situation. so if you like you can visit us tomorrow the day after 12 hrs but before you have to send the question that will do to migration and also send it to give you all the info you need clear and real. to chapala@camaradecomerciogdl.mx

Gracias. I think what you are saying is that all preguntas need to be sent to your webbsite and then we will get an individual e-mail response. Correcatmente? If I am correct,I think this is not a good idea. Many of us have the same questions and I want to hear the questions and answers of others, as well as mine. I hope I am wrong in understanding you, but if I am not, I think your plan is not going to be successful, I am sorry to say.

One final thought. Invitation only. Are you serious? I do not even want to know how that is determined. Good to see democracy in action. Invitation only. Too funny. Maybe, too sad. Now that what the Chapala Chamber of Commerce is doing to help us expats has been explained by both of you, it is really not much, is it? Not to mention that it is by invitation only.

PS. One more thing.

Many of us are sick of the Vialidad / Transitos constantly looking for mordida and if we say no, threatening to take our automobiles. Could some ask them to STOP DOING THIS TO US. If I violated the law I WANT to pay the ticket.

AMEN!

some of this is coming a bit too late, as many had to make a decision one way or the other. many have left, many long timers, and it has effected businesses.

i'm at the point where i have to make one on the car... and have now spent money as the first step of removing my vehicle from Mexico and taking a loss. yes, i will be angry, if after i do that, they finally get around to allowing us to keep our vehicles.

what i don't understand is the requirement to leave the country i live and own a home in, in order to stay temporary status and keep my car.

Look at it this way. If it was not for me writing a 13 page report on the Immigration issues, as I was asked to, and then going into Guadalajara to present it to some of the most influential people in the city, we would not have received the offer to have these seminars. And by the way because of the presentation, these same influential people are doing something to come up with a solution on the car issue.

At least I and the persons I am working with are doing something concrete. If you do not care to submit your questions about the Immigration issues you might have because we need to restrict the numbers who come to each seminar, that is up to you. Tell me what is the point of 10 people submitting the same question and attending the seminars? As Moderator I made the committment to get everyone the answers to their questions, one way or the other.

Those who are keenly interested in getting answers may just be surprised in getting the facts, and may just possibly receive some help.

What car issues? I can see asking for a grace period for the people who were taken by surprise by the rules on the change of status but otherwise the rule has always been that Permanent residents were not allowed to have or drive a foreign plated car. There is nothing new there and I do not think the rule is going to change for a few people being inconvenienced..

I emailed the poster to offer the services of our firm to explain to them the issues as we see them as well as what the real issues are as well as solutions. We deal with hundreds of clients and have seen many different situations and have real life experience in dealings with foreigners in many areas as well as are bilingual and have a team of 5 attorneys. Many of these meetings are not fruitful as they pull someone from an office and try to get answers where they may not exist or they do not frame the issues properly. Many foreigners get confused and sidetracked and a little information can be misinterpreted.

I hope they contact my office and speak with Luis and / or Denise as both of them deal daily with immigration, forms and issues and both are fluent in Spanish so they can properly explain to the poster in Spanish the issues and potential remedies.

I think MANY would like an answer to the last question...to stay Temporary, why must you leave?

I may be misinformed here, but my understanding is that if you are residente temporal you must leave the country every four years and reapply to enter as a residente temporal at a Mexican consulate in the US or Canada, or wherever. That is how I understand lakdside101's concern. Who knows how long that may take? Others, like me, have their home here and may not have anywhere to go for an extended period of time in the US or Canada, not to mention the concern with possibly leaving our homes uninhabited and our pets uncared for.

In addition, do we even have the choice to stay temporal if we meet the time required to become permanente? I guess those are some questions I can send to MexGuy.

What car issues? I can see asking for a grace period for the people who were taken by surprise by the rules on the change of status but otherwise the rule has always been that Permanent residents were not allowed to have or drive a foreign plated car. There is nothing new there and I do not think the rule is going to change for a few people being inconvenienced..

Many of us are here on FM3's and have never had any intention of going inmigrado/permanente. The reasons for preferring FM3 to FM2 or inmigrado may vary but, for me, one of the advantages of the FM3 was that there was no limit on the time I could be out of the country as long as I renewed my FM3 each year. I have also had the right to keep my US plated vehicle on an FM3 without having to take it out of the country or nationalize it. I prefer to keep my vehicle because I know it and the care it has had. I am not sure I could find an equally satisfactory Mexican plated vehicle for what I could sell my current vehicle for. And I would have to drive it to the border to sell it, something I prefer not to do. I have had an FM3 for 7 years (5 on original + 2 on my current one.) So what are my options at this point? Can I even go for permanente at this point with a 2 on my FM3? And if I go permanente my understanding is that I must either remove my car from Mexico or nationalize it as a high cost to me. Or can I stay temporal forever and never have to remove my car from Mexico? That, to me, would be the equivalent of what the FM3 has allowed me to do--and the basis on which I moved to Mexico, brought my vehicle, bought a home, and established my life here. If, as a residente temporal (if I can retain that status,) do I have to remove myself and my vehicle from Mexico every four years and apply to reenter? It seems to me that the flexibility that the FM3 gave me has been pulled out from under me.

Please correct me if I am not stating the situation correctly.

To let everyone know, at a meeting with senior officials on the 15th of April, including those of Immigracion, an offer was made to us and the Lakeside Chamber of Commerce, for individuals to attend an ongoing series of seminars, at which a senior official of Immigracion will be there to answer any questions specifically related to the New Immigration Laws, Rules and Regulations.

The purpose of these seminars is to permit individuals to get the facts and answers to their questions, directly from the horses mouth, as the saying goes. These sessions are open to individuals only, not Immigration Facilitators.

I offered to be Moderator for these seminars, which will be ongoing every two weeks, and the following outlines how persons with questions will get them answered directly by the Immigracion official:

The Lakeside Chamber of Commerce has agreed to host a series of invitation only seminars regarding the New Immigration Laws and their Administrative Rules and Regulations. Recognizing there is a significant amount of confusion and disinformation about the changes, we at the Lakeside Chamber of Commerce have arranged for an Official of Immigration to directly provide answers to questions and other information to ensure persons attending these sessions are given the correct facts.

I have agreed to assist and be the Moderator, on behalf of Immigration and the Chamber of Commerce, and this is how this will work:

• Persons with questions for which they need answers will direct these questions to me, and I will then forward them to the Immigration Official, in advance of a given seminar. This will allow him time to ensure the response he then sends back to me is factually correct and to ensure the answer he provides at the seminar is clear and precise.
  • Since, space is limited, I will be sending invitations to persons, so they can have their question answered by the Official. Persons without an invitation will not be permitted to enter, again because space is limited.
  • In the situation where a number of the same questions are received, I will provide one or possibly two invitations and those not invited will receive the Official's actual answer which I previously received from him.

Note: As Moderator, I am well aware that foreign plated motor vehicles are a big issue with many people. It is not possible for the Official of Immigration to answer questions on this issue as the affecting laws are those of SAT (Hacienda) and Federal Transito. So, please ensure your questions are solely in respect to your situation and for which you need answers from Immigration.

Please forward your questions, as soon as possible to me at:

imnmoderator@outlook.com

Regards,

I sent a message asking to be included in the list for the meeting but the server is not remitting the e mail. I sent a question to the Chamber of Commerce this afternoon. My name is Vicky Oliver.

Gheesh .... if you haven't figured out what the issues are since last November .... you maybe never will. Is this an issue of old people don't like change ... or someone can't afford the changes.

The only thing I agree with is the crooked transitos in the area. Learn to tell them to go ... stick it ... nicely

Gheesh .... if you haven't figured out what the issues are since last November .... you maybe never will. Is this an issue of old people don't like change ... or someone can't afford the changes.

The only thing I agree with is the crooked transitos in the area. Learn to tell them to go ... stick it ... nicely

You must not be aware of the fact that Aduana decided to equate the new Permanente with the old Immigrado only in the last few weeks? Even though there are substantive differences between the two?

HI,

I think the chamber is a day late and a dollar short !! This thing with the aduana is starting to get really OLD I am 70 ish The last thing I want to do is drive to the boarder for a few days and spend a few thousand doing something that I SHOULD BE ABLE TO DO LOCALLY and know that I am not being frauded about the whole process. I think Chapala and the surrounding area is going to lose and lose big If the Auduana which in my opionion really drop the ball would have given us some time to resolve this issue Come on a 5 day pass to get to the boarder GIVE ME A BREAK It takes the powers to be 4 or 5 days to get the paper work ready for me so they can give the permission to go safely to the boarder And I get 5 days to get this done WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE.

I am venting but had very little choice in my decision to go permenta and after IMN got there stuff together I had about a week to decided what I could do

Regards Phil

PS I lost my spell check now I am really Pissed

I think they are already losing a lot of people who lived here and decided there were other places they could go that would treat them better.

On top of that, I don't think you'll see a lot of people wanting to move here with the new immigration requirements.

Now add to the mix that getting car insurance on a nationalized car may be difficult, and many other places or back home start to look a lot more tempting than staying here in a crime ridden area with an immigration and aduana who seem to want to make it as difficult as possible to stay or come here.

We moved to Chapala under one set of laws and rules.

Then, things began to change as we approached the end of our first 5 years.

We discussed our situation with INM and they recommended that we remain FN3 forever.

Then, things changed again and INM made an error on our renewal, forcing us to pay again and change status.

Now, we are No-Inmigrante and will be forced to become Permanente in the near future.

That will force us to dispose of our US plated Japanese vehicle; not the deal when we moved here!

We also have a home that we thought would be our home forever.

We also have a second vehicle, registered in Jalisco.

Since the government has offered no grandfathering, so that we can live under the laws and rules that existed when we moved here, we think it may be time to leave as soon as we can sell our home and Jalisco car. We do not want to, but we feel betrayed. Departure will destroy our lives, as it probably has for others already, with more to come. We are sad, frustrated, angry and can no longer recommend Mexico to retirees or even tourists.

These meetings will answer the questions and aleviate confusion, but they will not fix the damage done.

I do not feel I need to explain to the naysayers and critics why we are restricting the numbers to invited guests only. Unlike the persons who just complain and do nothing, we are working on everyone's behalf to provide a constructive means to get persons the correct answers to their questions and most importantly diligently working on everyone's behalf to find solutions to these problems, created by the previous Government.

And we absolutely have no vested interest, (unlike some who use this blog) from all the work we are putting into this, other than it is hoped eventually get all these issues addressed by the current Federal Government in Mexico City. Personally my vested interest and concerns respects the economy here at Lakeside and the fact that as I write about 10% of our permanent population are planning to leave and/or have already left and consequently Mexicanos and businesses are suffering.

Naysayers, complainers and critics need not apply. For those who want to really help make a difference, we will appreciate your support by geting involved and by working with us.

Archived