Chapala.com Webboard

Questions re: Imported car linked to expired passport

A friend has a car in Mexico, in his name and imported a few years ago on his passport. My friend has been in the U.S. for a few months and during this period their passport expired and he now has a new passport.

When my friend returns to Mexico can he bring in another vehicle on his new passport? Or is the first car already automatically linked to the new passport?

Cars on TIP are not linked to one's passport but their Visa. Assuming your friend has a Temporary Resident Visa he's already got the one car allowed, so NO he cannot bring another. If he had a Tourist Visa (FMM) that expired while he was up north he's afoul of the law as of that expiration date.

Cars on TIP are not linked to one's passport but their Visa. Assuming your friend has a Temporary Resident Visa he's already got the one car allowed, so NO he cannot bring another. If he had a Tourist Visa (FMM) that expired while he was up north he's afoul of the law as of that expiration date.

Really?!? I (apparently mistakenly) thought the car was tied to your passport...thought I'd read that somewhere on this web board (but couldn't find anything related in a search). Yes, he has a Temp Resident's Visa. Thanks for the clarification.

Cars are only linked to your passport, so when you get a new passport you can bring in another car. Just had a friend do this recently.

Correct, I had problems with bringing vehicles in on my old passport. Got new passport, problem gone.

Many people here have brought in more than one car as the importation is linked to their passport number. Get a new passport bring another car.

Archived