Chapala.com Webboard

Riberas developments

I decided to start a new topic rather than add my two pesos worth under the discussion re MLS listings.

I can only speak for my immediate area of Riberas which is one block south of the carretera in the area of the 7-11.

We are seeing lots of development:

Two lots (which had Century 21 signs) on the west side of Dr haro's office (San Luis) have new houses. We believe they will be rentals. No idea who is behind them.

Coming west, in the block between San Mateo (7-11) and San Pablo three lots have been sold , two of them in the last six or eight months. Neither of those had For Sale signs. One is for the mother-in-law of a neighbour as she sold her home in Guad. The other was bought by a mid-40s Guad couple who have no immediate plans to build but hope to in three or four years.

Continuing west, at the corner of San Luis and San Pablo, a prefab home is going up for Tapatios, for weekends. I am not sure if they bought the land recently or not; there was no sign on it.

And if you conitue west past the Oasis Cloud and turn left on a street with no name there is another house going up. I suspect land that was already Mexican owned.

A couple of things cross my mind about this development, all within the last year...

The more houses that are built the harder it is to sell an existing house.

And the people involved are, for the most part, not expats.

And just to end off on a positive note, quite a bit is happening along the carretera.

Two additons have gone on to businesses near Escalera,

Albercas del Lago has moved from SA to Riberas.

There's a new outdoor store near 7-11.

The children's gym near 7-11 now has aerobics.

We have another! second hand store, Pepe's Bazar.

And another pharmacy in the yellow L-shapped strip mall near Mom's.

Coming soon: something in the big orange building near 7-11 - Moro. Hmmm, come to think of it, they were painting it the other day. I am guessing the new recycling centre.

Finally, work continues on what I am told will be a good sized medical clinic at the eastern end of Riberas.

It's all good!

Locals are taking over the money here....

Most of the undeveloped lots in Riberas are owned by Mexican families in Guad, who deceide to sell as when they need cash...14 lots recently came on to the market and being sold by Century 21..there are pro and cons in building your own house...one being you do not have to find a large amount of money to start the project

I've lived in Riberas for nearly 6 years by choice. My personal philosophy is that I would never own anything in MX that I couldn't put in the Jeep for a rapid departure or walk away from - and especially in Riberas. I wish you well, for me there are far to many instabilities in MX today and I've seen a significant change in the short time I've been here.

I've lived in Riberas for nearly 6 years by choice. My personal philosophy is that I would never own anything in MX that I couldn't put in the Jeep for a rapid departure or walk away from - and especially in Riberas. I wish you well, for me there are far to many instabilities in MX today and I've seen a significant change in the short time I've been here.

*sigh*

If only I shared that philosophy 8 years ago.

I guess it matters little where you "live" in that state of mind

I've seen a few original style Mexican homes sell in the village and on all cases they sold to Mexicans. The houses were all rebuilt, but modestly compared to gringo homes. I can understand why some mexicans may prefer to build rather than buy a home built or remodeled by ex pats. There is likely different preferences. The land is a bit cheaper in Riberas so It makes sense Mexican would be looking there.

Riberas seems to be improving at a consistent pace. Housing prices seem to be stable or increasing, due to new construction and recent sales... whereas most of the rest of the lakeside area seems to be experiencing drastic reductions in asking prices. East of Ajijic seems to have more convenient shopping than west of Ajijic, and Riberas is certainly closer to Chapala and is much easier if you are going to the airport or to Guad.

There is a big Event Hall on the lake in Riberas del Pilar, called Mistica Isla.

Last Saturday (Apr. 13) there were well over a thousand college kids from Guadalajara (many arriving on busses) for an event. It was not my personal preference in music (it was very loud and hard-driving dance music like LA ecstasy clubs) but the kids were all well behaved and seemed to be having a lot of fun.

How they built this place on federal land is beyond me, but I suspect that a lot of Tapatio kids will push mom and dad to buy in or near Riberas if for no other reason than to be near the party... and have a nice place to crash nearby afterward.

Mistica+Isla.jpg

I see the old hat factory in Riberas has been sold to a church and the property will be rehabbed. Another positive development for the area.

We've been here for just over 5 years. Riberas has improved steadily the whole time. It took maybe a bigger sense of adventure to buy there back then but I'd say it is paying off for those who did it.

Add this to the joys of Riberas. I finally got the SIMAPA guys over and got a long dissertation on valves here and valves there and we only get water 4 days a week and then we don't get water for 4 days? I doubt that as I got water late Monday or early Tues, not Weds, but a piddly amount today, so something has changed and in this dry season who has enough water for 4 days of watering etc?

Archived