Chapala.com Webboard

The army is here (?)

On the highway, going west, just before Las Palmas, two low concrete towers have been built on the road side. I don't know how to call it: It looks like the extension of a well with a roof. There is a large lot behind them, wire link fencing as if they wanted to build something.

When we passed by this afternoon, after four, we have seen two sentinels, dressed in Army fatigues with hard heads sitting or standing there. They were under the roof from those two cement towers.

Anyone knows why. It seems permanent. Protection maybe??

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Supposely permanent and another to be placed near Chapala Haciendas, I suggested they place another by San Nicolas to have control over all access and exits

Supposely permanent and another to be placed near Chapala Haciendas, I suggested they place another by San Nicolas to have control over all access and exits

Wow! Its like we will be in one very, very big gated community!

The big question is ... "who are the bad guys ?? ", it is not so simple here. The "good guys", many times, are the bad guys.

They know more than we do and we can just guess. Could be good for our protection, but they could also be preparing for worse to come.

I like to believe that it could be better to have the army here but.....

checkpoints are not the miracle answer. Criminals, after their ciminal act, can just blend in with the community, change clothes, change car or motorcycle, pay of soldiers.....

Rony

Did something happen to make this change I mean?

yes

The big question is ... "who are the bad guys ?? ", it is not so simple here. The "good guys", many times, are the bad guys.

They know more than we do and we can just guess. Could be good for our protection, but they could also be preparing for worse to come.

I like to believe that it could be better to have the army here but.....

checkpoints are not the miracle answer. Criminals, after their ciminal act, can just blend in with the community, change clothes, change car or motorcycle, pay of soldiers.....

Rony

But, even and ounce of prevention could be worth a pound of cure, right?

Well said bennie, and as usual what seems a great idea is misconstrued as a bad sign of things to come, Not long ago we were asking for more security and then when it's provided we are suspicious.

Living in Mexico, it is good to be suspicious (as it is a healthy, common sense attitude to survive and be happy in this culture and be part of this society)..... believe me, most (the overwhelming majority) Mexicans are too and with good reason. Just do some history study and sociological research.

yes

What changed?

I am part of the group that would rather know than not.The lack of info in Mexico is now astonishing and if it doesnt happen in your backyard you will not find out. The good thing is that there will be NO crimes against the free press because there is none. The webboards and blogs are also starting to close down.

the mexicans have their system of communication. they know how to take care of themselves. i think it is absurd for expats to "ask" for security. the municipal will do w/it can for the town, w/in their limitations.

There is also a large building with a fenced in area next to it right behind the two round bunkers in west Ajijic. Military looking vehicles have been parking in the back of the building and camoflage dressed men going in and out. Looks like a military outpost.

When I first moved here under President Fox there were military check points on both roads into Guadalajara. They had only trucks then but would slow down cars and pull a few over to check inside.

What changed?

I am part of the group that would rather know than not.The lack of info in Mexico is now astonishing and if it doesnt happen in your backyard you will not find out. The good thing is that there will be NO crimes against the free press because there is none. The webboards and blogs are also starting to close down.

You can listen to the man in the street, go on Twitter, some blogs, listen to Mexico city radio station radio Imagen, and you get a fairly good idea of the situation + take into account ALL the bad stuff we do not know (and that you can guess by studying what is happening in other troubled regions).

One can not expect for one person to put him/herself in the difficult situation by summarizing it all here in this forum. It would entail a whole study because people demand sources (and nowawdays they are hard to find) + you would automatically make a lot of ennemies. Please, do not be offended by this, but if you want to know more, you must do your own homework.

I would turn it around and say... why has the army not come sooner.

+ .... the fact that the army is here says it, no ? There are already so many difficult regions in Mexico (and only so many soldiers), where their presence is needed and for some good reason(s) it is necessary to send them here as well.

I must add to that..... do we know for sure, as a fact, that they are here to stay for the long term ?

Rony

Rony

You are so right! in this Country, lots of times, the good guys are the bad guys.

In some places of México, the army became the rapists....

In México, we have "the bad guys" and the "other bad guys"..

valgal, this dosnt sound like a "gated community" to me, dream on. (dont get into the drama & gossip). i am going out to enjoy my day!

More than a gated community, this could be a "ghetto"....

I was at a meeting yesterday and the Director of Security (Chief of Police) for Chapala confirmed that it is an Army checkpoint and barracks being constructed. He indicated that it will only will be manned as necessary - if the situation warrants.

He said that if a serious event happens in Chapala, the police can call the army and they will man the posts within 5 minutes to check vehicles and apprehend the criminals.

Obviously the same will happen for an event in Joco.

Sounds like a pro-active move to me and I'm glad to see it happen!

Hope they do another one near Chapala Haciendas and San Nicholas, as Spencer mentioned.

According to my jardinero, it is to pull over "suspicious" vehicles going from Chapala to Joco. What an opportunity to snag you for those US plates that may or may not be legal.

i am very happy to have the road block with the military here, but if its not manned permanently whats the point?

if an incident occurs, the bad guys just drive off in another direction, and in 5 minutes they can be clear and en route to guadalajara,

certainly need at least one more road block to avoid this, as spencer suggested.

only needs two or three to man the check points, and if it costs me a bit more on my local taxes i would happily pay, if i had to.

Archived