Chapala.com Webboard

Permanent residency based on family ties

CSOKI

Spencer, I have a question. I am a permanent resident since 2001.

I was born in Slovakia. In order to have my father change to permanent residency I need to have

my birth certificate translated to spanish and have it apostilled. I was told that if the country of my

birth is part of the Hague convention that it makes a difference to the apostille part. In what way?

Would you know anything about this? Thank you for your help.

First a couple of things. You need to get your birth certificate and an apostille, the apostille part will be from the state or federal government office from your home country who issued the birth certificate. The next part is the translation. There are no translators for your mother tongue BUT I have a friend in Guadalajara and she is an official translator for Spanish and Russian and they have accepted her translations in cases like yours for other slavic languages. I had a similar issue last week and we resolved it fast.

Also to get your dad to be a permanent resident you need your permanent resident card in your hand. I doubt you have been one since 2001 as the law changed in 2011, was implemented November 2012 and cards only started to be issued in February 2013.

Thank you Spencer. I do have my card. It says - El axtranjero Inmigrado tiene derechos de residencia

definitiva en Mexico. (The owner of this document is a permanent resident in Mexico ).

I will make an appointment to see you.You are right. In 2001 it was inmigrado.

I am not likely to make a trip to Slovakia to have the birth certificate apostiled. Could the embassy of

Slovakia in Mexico City do it?

You may be able to Fedex the document or use a facilitator service to get the apostille without going personally check those options first.

Some countries, Canada being one (for sure) do NOT DO apostiled certificates. If I remember correctly, yes, it's to do with the Hague Convention.

No idea whether your country does them or not, but you can check with the nearest consulate or embassy on that one.

I would NEVER use the mail for something as important as an apostille, especially one from Europe as it may take weeks and if lost then you lose the original document as well as apostille and to do over again might run your hundreds of dollars and weeks of your time.

Archived