Chapala.com Webboard

Qualify for Residente Permante? Clarify drama with car?

Guest rachelw

Guest rachelw

Hi everyone,

I apologize if my questions are repetitive, but I am going crazy here and I need some explanation.

First, I moved to Mexico in May 2010. I drove across the border in Laredo and got my temporary import permit for the car. I have not gone back to Laredo since that time nor have I contacted Aduana in any way. I was under the understanding that as long as my FM3 was valid, then my permit was valid. I have been stopped 2 times by federales and I told them that law, and they said Have a nice trip.

Ok, in June 2010 my FMM was converted to FM3 Lucrativa and my university took care of that. I even changed campuses and moved to Guadalajara and my FM3 Lucrativa has been renewed 3 times. I have had 3 FM3 Lucrativa cards.

This July, I need to get my 4th FM3 Lucrativa card. Do I need to get a residente permanante card now? I am married to a Mexican citizen, but we have only been married for a few months, not the 2 years mentioned on the websites.

I am cool with getting a residente permanente card now if required. I live and work here and honestly have no intention of leaving in the next 3 years. My concern is with the car.

Scenario 1: It is a 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt. I read on the interwebs somewhere that since my FM3 is Lucrativa, I am really not allowed to even be driving it now. Is my car illegal since my FM3 is lucrativa? Can I try to import it permanently? Does anyone know a broker to use in Laredo? Do we even need to use a broker? I have Mexican insurance on it and I have been paying US Car insurance for the last 3 years to maintain state registration. My car has a cracked windshield. Will that affect importation?

Scenario 2. I decide to drive my car back to Louisiana. When I stop at Aduana to have them remove the sticker, are they going have problems because the sticker date is from May 2010? (Although, that is before the July 2011 law change). I just dont want anyone to take my car. In this scenario I would like drive it across the bridge without any sort of drama.

Thank you for your time,

Rachel

Ok, FM3 lucrativa may drive foreign plated car, I have an FM3 lucrativa and a confirmation letter for my US plated Chevy truck from Aduana.

I was chatting with the attorney at Aduana today about the whole immigration issue and how Aduana has not updated their rules and the attorney agreed that the safest bet would be for permanentes to do a notification to hopefully avoid issues and get some sort of grace period to remove their vehicles if aduanas rules prohibit permanentes from having them here.

4th lucrativa is 4th year and you can stay temporary and next year you would have to leave country, renew late and pay fine and regularize or go permanente.

Archived