Chapala.com Webboard

I loved grape leaves at Shawarmex!

doberwoman

another good opinion for this place near to italian icecreams, also Tacos Shawarmex delicious!!!! :016:

I am sorry that Joe´s ilussion had to close, we also loved their food! :angry:

Wanna run that by me again? I don't eat ice cream, so the reference to Italian ices was lost on me. Where is this place, and was that 2 votes for their grape leaves or was 1 vote for the new guy and 1 vote for Jose's Illusion who left town? And BTW does anyone know where Jose went with his illusion? I still live in hope that he will return.

We tried Shwaramex for the first time yesterday. Delicious! They were out of stuffed grape leaves - dang - which we were going to order as an appetizer. But no problem. The two "Kamellos" or whatever they're called were really tasty. So was the salsa and chips. And that salad dressing! Big thumbs up.

The kafta kebab was absolutely delicious, hot pita bread, salad with the green dressing FABULOUS! Lovely people, too

new favourite place! Please go, we really do need to keep this gem open!

and try their "jocoque"...

Claudia said the grape leave supplier will be out for around two more weeks. I almost cried. They are a treat I try and get for myself every week.

I crave the salad. It is the best dressing I have had in my life.

Followed advice and ordered the Shwaramex which came with a salad and the Kafta Kabob which came with Jocoque and salad. We halved and both were delicious. The service was friendly and efficient. This is a small place but the food is excellent and it is very clean. This is another new restaurant we will frequent and hope others do also.

• 1 month later...

I Got a little kiss on the cheek from Fernando as they were packing up the chairs. There were several reasons, including that he was hurt in a car accident and could not work long hours. His sister had to cut back her hours working. In general, business became very slow in March, as can be expected. They will be missed.

Luis, Claudia's son and Fernando's nephew, is looking for a job. he is a hard working, very clean and organized cook or kitchen assistant. He was the cute young man who often cooked along with Fernando

You may be able to find Claudia at Marisa's Bakery. She manages it. She could probably make some of that dressing to order. She used to cater. Maybe we can talk her into making the salad dressing once a week and selling it to us!

Stuffed grape leaf recipies are easily found using Google. Most are lemon flavored rice fillings, with other spices and either with or without a bit of ground lamb, etc.

I guess we will also have to start making our own again. The filling is easy to make but the stuffing is a bit labor intensive. Once a large batch is completed, they are tightly packed into a pot and steamed. Then, they can be packed in oil and will keep in the refrigerator for quite a long time .... if I am not around.

When I am back in the Chapala area, I will talk to Claudia and ask her if she will make a batch or two of the grape leaves and some salad dressing. I will let you know what she says.

When I am back in the Chapala area, I will talk to Claudia and ask her if she will make a batch or two of the grape leaves and some salad dressing. I will let you know what she says.

That would be awesome, Valerie! I would definitely buy her stuff.

I would be so on board to buy Claudia's dressing and grape leaves. Any one who knows her might plant this as an idea?

I will see her next week and ask.

Claudia did not prepare the grape leaves, that was Fernando's baby and what an incredible job he did. The always beautiful and charming Wael at Cairo Cafe will not make dolmas as they are too labor intensive and time consuming. Guess I am back to buying a four pack of them and freezing three when I hit Costco. Unless anyone else makes them? Wish Jose's Illlusion would return. Had no idea how much I liked that place until they closed. Sorry, Jose. I apologize for my infidelity. Please come back

Archived