Chapala.com Webboard

Terrible Experience at Roberto's

Sailor

Yesterday, Easter sunday, 13 of us had reservations at Roberto's. We had requested a table in the bar area and it was confirmed twice by Omar. When we arrived, the whole area was full and no table for us. I asked if Roberto was there and was told yes so asked to speak with him. We never saw him and I doubt he was there. Finally, they put us in a different section at a table reserved for another party. Two of their specials on the Easter menu where mango margaritas and chili poblano soup. They were out of both. I should say our reservation was for 3 p.m. We kept asking for them to take our order and finally they did. We received our meals one at a time starting at 5. One got his order after we had all finished out dessert at 5:45. I wonder if Roberto has anything to do with the restaurant or not. None of us will ever go back. Also, the portions were very small with no gravy on the mashed potatoes and bones in my friend's turkey.

Yesterday, Easter sunday, 13 of us had reservations at Roberto's. We had requested a table in the bar area and it was confirmed twice by Omar. When we arrived, the whole area was full and no table for us. I asked if Roberto was there and was told yes so asked to speak with him. We never saw him and I doubt he was there. Finally, they put us in a different section at a table reserved for another party. Two of their specials on the Easter menu where mango margaritas and chili poblano soup. They were out of both. I should say our reservation was for 3 p.m. We kept asking for them to take our order and finally they did. We received our meals one at a time starting at 5. One got his order after we had all finished out dessert at 5:45. I wonder if Roberto has anything to do with the restaurant or not. None of us will ever go back. Also, the portions were very small with no gravy on the mashed potatoes and bones in my friend's turkey.

That is very disappointing to hear. In your case you should have complained to whomever was in charge. We used to go to Roberto's and when he was there food was better. We think his portions for the price, same prices as other restaurants are skimpy. Manix, Armando's are your best alternatives who give you lots of quality food unless you want Filets, Steaks or BBQ Ribs, then it's Bruno's and Tony's.

Easter was a beutiful day, so much to be thankful for. Why would anyone complain.....we did that up North.

Roberto's was packed yesterday, all wanted to go, good food, beautiful setting, many of your friends eating there. I had reservations, but I waited with a smile knowing the day was going to be good, so they ran out of items. Wow, I wonder how many people walked in without reservations & wanted lunch/dinner..........

Why was Roberto's busy beyond belief......it's because it's the favorite for so many.

Yes, Bobby was there.........in the kitchen working!

Enjoy what we are offered in this beautiful area, it was only ONE meal!

Easter was a beutiful day, so much to be thankful for. Why would anyone complain.....we did that up North.

Roberto's was packed yesterday, all wanted to go, good food, beautiful setting, many of your friends eating there. I had reservations, but I waited with a smile knowing the day was going to be good, so they ran out of items. Wow, I wonder how many people walked in without reservations & wanted lunch/dinner..........

Why was Roberto's busy beyond belief......it's because it's the favorite for so many.

Wonderful post Red River Valley. More people should share your positive thoughts. I wonder if the OP would have posted if the experience was wonderful. In the three years I've been here I've never been to a restaurant that I said "I will never go back there again". Granted there have been meals I didn't care for, but there are other items on the menu which are rather tasty. There are a couple of places that I don't care for their cheese burgers but like other things on the menu so I go back and just don't order what I don't like. Also there are places which service is slow. So be it, I'm retired and not a busy schedule. I just enjoy the atmosphere, people watching, etc. Calm down people and enjoy the reason you moved here

Wonderful post Red River Valley. More people should share your positive thoughts. I wonder if the OP would have posted if the experience was wonderful. In the three years I've been here I've never been to a restaurant that I said "I will never go back there again". Granted there have been meals I didn't care for, but there are other items on the menu which are rather tasty. There are a couple of places that I don't care for their cheese burgers but like other things on the menu so I go back and just don't order what I don't like. Also there are places which service is slow. So be it, I'm retired and not a busy schedule. I just enjoy the atmosphere, people watching, etc. Calm down people and enjoy the reason you moved here

The fact that you are living at Lakeside and the kind of day it was had nothing to do with a person's experience in any restaurant. Stop making excuses for the poor management, inconsistent food and poor service at Roberto's on Easter Sunday, unless you are one of his partners. There was no excuse for it and the OP did the right thing by sharing his views. If Roberto let too many walk ins come in without Reservations and could not handle the overload, that's his fault for being greedy.

And if a person posts that they'll never eat there again, so what. I've seen people only give a restaurant one chance. I give them several chances. When they cannot produce consistently good food and service at reasonable prices, that's when I say "I will NEVER go back." Why? Because their are too many good restauranteurs in Ajijic, busting their butt to deserve your business, such as Armando's, Manix, Bruno's, Tony's, Tango, Simply Thai, Ricki's, Junky Monkey, etc.

Well we have had several poor meals at Roberto's and and a couple of average ones. We have always gone as part of a group so the destination was not our choice and I fail to understand why it ever became popular. I suppose many years ago he did offer good food but those days are long gone.

Well we have had several poor meals at Roberto's and and a couple of average ones. We have always gone as part of a group so the destination was not our choice and I fail to understand why it ever became popular. I suppose many years ago he did offer good food but those days are long gone.

I agree. The only reason that I see that he does that kind of business is the atmosphere (garden), but I don't eat the atmosphere.

*gag*

The fact that you are living at Lakeside and the kind of day it was had nothing to do with a person's experience in any restaurant. Stop making excuses for the poor management, inconsistent food and poor service at Roberto's on Easter Sunday, unless you are one of his partners. There was no excuse for it and the OP did the right thing by sharing his views. If Roberto let too many walk ins come in without Reservations and could not handle the overload, that's his fault for being greedy.

And if a person posts that they'll never eat there again, so what. I've seen people only give a restaurant one chance. I give them several chances. When they cannot produce consistently good food and service at reasonable prices, that's when I say "I will NEVER go back." Why? Because their are too many good restauranteurs in Ajijic, busting their butt to deserve your business, such as Armando's, Manix, Bruno's, Tony's, Tango, Simply Thai, Ricki's, Junky Monkey, etc.

Didn't mean to step on your toes. Ouch, that must have hurt. Sorry

I have posted many times about great restaurants and service. We have been here for 6 years and used to love Roberto's and went there often and always give a restaurant a second chance. But, in my opinion, the place has gone down hill the last couple of years since Bobby is seldom there anymore. Many of our group feel the same but were willing to give them another chance yesterday. We all had out-of town guests (from Germany, Ireland, China and Argentina) and were very embarrassed by the treatment and the meal that they received. Most of them had not eaten since breakfast expecting a nice Easter dinner. By 5, after sitting for 2 hours, everyone was so hungry, we had talked about leaving and going somewhere else. We did not blame the waiters as they had no control over the situation and all of us left 20% tips. After trying Roberto's and giving it chance after chance, we all decided that was it. If you want to go sit in the beautiful garden for hours and wait, that is up to you. And we did ask to speak to Bobby or Omar several times and were told they were in the kitchen and had no time.

All reviews are the subjective idea of the reviewer, right?

I find that Roberto's is a good journeyman restaurant. I've not found an outstanding menu item, but the ones I've had were all good. I also suppose that the service you receive, like at many other restaurants, depends on who you are, how often you come and the way you pay. I have friends who swear by Roberto's and when we've gone there with them the food and service was top notch.

Now, I've also just participated in a catered dinner for 85 at Roberto's. There was nothing that was not done correctly! The food was fabulous, the wait staff was attentive and the service was impeccable. Bob was there, and many of those in attendance were that treasured of all creatures "regulars". I suppose that's that.

In our brief time here, however, there have been outstanding restaurants, albeit more dear, but nonetheless outstanding with memorable meals.

If the "old timers" and "regulars" have noticed a downturn in Roberto's, let them know, politely and gently. It is obvious they did not get their stellar reputation and loyalty by being mediocre, maybe they just need a jab in the ribs.

Me? I'll continue to patronize Roberto's as part of our repertoire of places to eat. It is good food for what it is, just as Bruno's is great for burgers and filet at a modest price, Tango for service and attention and beef, and I never had a better shrimp dish than I had at La Bodega, these were memorable events. Add to that a memorable dining experience at Number Four and great attention and taste at Armanado's.

In our lives a few meals stand out - here are some of ours, so far, here.

I hesitated about replying to this thread but finally felt I had to. I appreciate a frank restaurant review that may save me from wasting my money on a bad meal. Several friends and I went to Roberto's for Thanksgiving and, over all it was a bad experience with rushed service and poorly served food. Possibly if I had posted about this I may have discouraged someone from a similar experience.

I was amazed by the polyannish reply that seemed to say that this should not have been a concern to the OP since we are so lucky to just be here. I fail to understand how that has anything to do with the review. Facts are facts!

There are too many restaurants here that are providing less than adequate food and service and they need to be called out. There are also a few restaurants here that at one time deserved very high marks and have declined in service and quality and are just surviving on there reputation. These too need to be called out.

Having spent my entire life in the fine dining business, I think it was foolish for Roberto's to have taken a reservation for any group over 6 on Easter Sunday.Think about it, holding that many seats for an hour or so, waiting for a large group. Having 13 people order all at the same time, it will take at least 10 minutes just to get he cocktail order, not to mention the dinner order , probably all separate checks, so, you are behind even before you start. Do yourself a favor, dine in groups of up to 6 , you will receive better food and service.

Having spent my entire life in the fine dining business, I think it was foolish for Roberto's to have taken a reservation for any group over 6 on Easter Sunday.Think about it, holding that many seats for an hour or so, waiting for a large group. Having 13 people order all at the same time, it will take at least 10 minutes just to get he cocktail order, not to mention the dinner order , probably all separate checks, so, you are behind even before you start. Do yourself a favor, dine in groups of up to 6 , you will receive better food and service.

We frequently dine in groups of 8 - 12 at the better restaurants, at least what we judge to be the better restaurants and have never had a problem with food or service. In most cases the food for each person comes out one dinner after another, so we're all eating at the same time. You need a well organized staff to do that.

Sorry to hear this person had a bad experience at Roberto's. I can imagine it's difficult for the staff to keep up with these large groups, especially on holidays. It is for this reason that we seldom venture out for meals during what we imagine will be Peak Holiday eating hours. If we do, we try to have reservations at the very beginning of the event in the hopes we'll get served first and efficiently.

With that said, I'm sure the OP's guests were disappointed with with what should have been a fun and memorable meal. I have to believe the staff at Roberto's was trying their best but they were simply overwhelmed with the volume.

I've enjoyed many tasty meals served with a smile and in a timely manner there. I hope this unfortunate event on Easter Sunday doesn't prevent others from enjoying a meal there. I think it's important to remember that these restauranteurs are trying hard to please their clients and sometimes they just can't rise to the occasion.

Valerie :)

We had one good experience at Roberto's - 2 or 3 years or so ago and he was there in person. When we went back over the last year, food and service were poor. We think Roberto either doesn't own it any more or he has left it completely in the charge of his Mexican staff. Once, on the so-called Chinese food night, they ran out of ingredients for a dish, and brought us something different thinking we wouldn't know the difference. We did. And I happen to like small portions, but this was miniscule, and a rip-off.

We liked Roberto and his restaurant when he first opened. However, whenever he is not there or the place is very busy, both service and food quality decline. So, we just do not go there any more. Unfortunately, Roperto probably does not notice individual absences and just assumes that all is OK if the place continues to attract newer folks. Some can survive that way; others cannot. The area has a lot of other choices for all tastes and budgets. There is no need to frequent places where your patronage is not noticed or appreciated.

Someone should tell Roberto to read this thread, so he can get his act together.

Someone has told him, and his response was that it's all he can do under the circumstances and we had better get used to it. Sadly, we have, by going somewhere else most of the time. I think it's more job than Omar can handle, since it's a large place. Bob really wants to retire; it's time, and he knows it.

Selling a restaurant like that is chancy in times like these. He does have an ownership interest and I believe that Omar is his business partner. Nice young man, but.........

Someone has told him, and his response was that it's all he can do under the circumstances and we had better get used to it. Sadly, we have, by going somewhere else most of the time. I think it's more job than Omar can handle, since it's a large place. Bob really wants to retire; it's time, and he knows it.

Selling a restaurant like that is chancy in times like these. He does have an ownership interest and I believe that Omar is his business partner. Nice young man, but.........

With that attitude, it's time to go elsewhere. Clue me in, who is Omar. any last name or restaurant experience?

when a business changes, it is time to go somewhere else. never been to this place. good resturants want your business especially low season. there is no excuse for that easter experience, except that they dont care. later on they will wonder why it is slow. btw, are the restaurants crowded this week, mid week? (tue wens thurs)?

when a business changes, it is time to go somewhere else. never been to this place. good resturants want your business especially low season. there is no excuse for that easter experience, except that they dont care. later on they will wonder why it is slow. btw, are the restaurants crowded this week, mid week? (tue wens Thurs)?

If you have never been there why do you feel compelled to add a negative comment about the restaurant? That's just piling on. I hope that when my time comes that God doesn't send me to Ajijic to run a restaurant to atone for my misdeeds.

Archived