Chapala.com Webboard

Have you eaten at La Vida Bella restaurant recently?

ajijicis4me

La Vita Bella is on the eastern edge of the Raquet Club. I've been there a few times this year. Food and service are usually good. A bit pricey but the setting is worth it. They could use a few more meat dishes and fewer vegetarian ones.

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Restaurant_Review-g2658233-d2642918-Reviews-La_Vita_Bella-San_Juan_Cosala_Pacific_Coast.html

Six of us ate there last Monday. We all ordered Carrot Soup. It was not that great. It was more like the chef used

carrot juice and added a little bit of ginger to it. None of us were enthralled.

My husband ordered the salmon done Hawaiian style. The salmon itself was excellent but I did not like the fact the chef

used sweet dried fruit as his Hawaiian take. This area has all the ingredients to make a real Hawaiian sauce: pineapple,green peppers, onions...why use dried fruit?

Because the menu did not have a great selection of dishes, the rest of us opted for pizza which I must say was pretty

good.

We love this restaurant for the ambiance. You can't beat sitting outside overlooking the lake high up on the mountain.

The service is great, the menu just so-so and let's say that I've had better meals at this restaurant than we had last

Monday night. The good news is that the chef does change the menu often so what was offered last Monday may not be

what you'll get on your next visit.

By the way, we did tell the chef that his soup was watery and not very substantial but, unfortunately, I did not get th chance to critique the terribly sweet dried fruit he added to a wonderful piece of salmon.

And, yes, this is a pricier restaurant than the average.

• 2 years later...

We ate there about three weeks ago with a group of 20 the food and service were excellent.  Of course we made reservations.  Service time was slow but to be expected with such a large group.  Several shrimp and steak orders, all were good.  We will be back next week with another large group

We ate there a month or so ago and we were very disappointed. The food was bad at best. Gerard has left and that may be a contributing factor although we had not eaten there previously. . Very limited menu and nothing any of us had was prepared well. Soup was like dish water, I mean really blah. 

The views are wonderful and the service was good. We may go back sometime to enjoy the view and have a pizza and a beer.    

• 1 month later...

They have expanded the outdoor eating area and put a "roof" over it. I was there this week and my guest who was on his first visit was impressed with the setting, service, and food.

We go for the VIEW, the wine and the pizza.  In that order.  

You can take the table out from under the overhang if you ask nicely and order a bottle of wine while walking in...if you want to do this don't sit down and then want to move. That will get you a "no".

Archived