Chapala.com Webboard

This is entertainment ???

Yarboro

Lakeside offers an array of entertainment options throughout the year that cater to most tastes, so we looked forward to seeing the Tony-nominated singer/comedienne who opened in The Red Piano this week. The article in the Reporter made her sound like an act not to be missed.

Four of us went last night with high expectations which were very quickly dashed. The woman relies entirely on smut and racism for her "jokes". There was not one iota of wit, intelligence or cleverness in her routine which consisted of one four-letter word after another, usually repeated in case you missed them the first time.

How this passes for "entertainment" is a mystery to me.

"I've always been accused of bad taste and I'll go down to my grave accused of it and always by the same people, the ones who eat in restaurants that reserve the right to refuse service to anyone. I am sorry I haven't been funny. I am not a comedian"

" I am Lenny Bruce."

Not sure why you're disappointed. You say you read the article in the Reporter, didn't you? It clearly states what kind of act she does! If you don't find that type of humour appealing, why did you go in the first place?

• (taken from the Guadalajara Reporter)

The Los Angeles Times calls Sharon McNight “one of the great wonders of the musical stage.” My two cents worth? This sarcastic strutting diva’s “Songs to Offend Almost Everyone,” is one of the funniest, most entertaining shows I’ve ever seen.

Her banter is frank and risqué, her stories moving. Reminiscent of comic legends like Martha Raye, her irreverent re-working of songs is both hilarious and thought provoking. “Wind Beneath My Wings,” for example, becoming “Contempt Beneath My Feet” dedicated to the couples in the audience.

Completely ridiculous original point I'm afraid. When a show is titled "Songs to offend almost everyone" was there not just the slightest hint there that it may involve swear words etc? Why did you even attend and then be outraged? It wasn't exactly billed as a Disney spectacular for the family. I was there on the first night and LOVED it. If you are easily offended then don't attend a show that is specifically titled as it was. And in answer to your question, yes, it was entertainment!

I think Piano Rojo is a terrific addition to the limited lakeside entertainment scene. A refreshing and colorful addition, not to be missed.

I think Piano Rojo is a terrific addition to the limited lakeside entertainment scene. A refreshing and colorful addition, not to be missed.

Totally agree! El Piano Rojo's slight or major irreverence is so welcome here. IT is so great to have new entertainment and a more with it crowd to be with. We'll be regulars and hope that they can find more acts and different acts to come into town. Livens the place up - Go Red!

Risque entertainment is not my cup of tea but IMO there was nothing ambiguous about the advertising for this particular act. I'm a little puzzled that the OP couldn't figure this out before they went.

I came up when comedians could be and were uproariously funny without a single swear word or sexual innuendo. No one has convinced me that either are required to be funny but I respect the fact that some get their laughs this way. In any case, the Red Piano is a major addition and improvement in the local entertainment scene and we sure hope they continue to do well and can survive the off season.

It's a raunchy world and I am sorry that the poor Op set himself up for am kick in the gloots both by posting and by going to that show at the Red Piano. I'm sure I would have loved it.

We were looking forward to trying Piano Rojo BUT just heard of some friends' poor experience there, not sure we want to go. They made reservations, paid their cover charge, had their two drink minimum charged to them but then were told that there weren't enough people in the audience so the show was canceled. No refund. I think this is far worse than the disappointing type of show the OP was talking about -- although when I read the ad for that particular show in the Guad Reporter I made a mental note to avoid that performer, not our cup of java.

some people are out to badmouth a local business.... it seems they are losing... this particular business is a welcome addition to this little lakeside town and if you are easily offended and have been warned you might be... what is the problem??? don't go, fairly simple.

We have always been amazed by the level of entertainment we have seen at this place, and for such a minimal fee... one evening the show went on until 11 and the owner drove us all home as there were no taxis about. I think they are wonderful folks, who are trying out a new venue in a smaller area, I would say they are off to a big start and hope we find them here in October when we return... DITTO: GO RED !!!!!!

Archived