Chapala.com Webboard

renewl FM3 next month

Steve71

It also seems that some folks naievely believe that we can simply trot on down to some Mexican version of the DMV and register our vehicles in Mexico. We cannot do that, especially if the vehicle happens to have been made in some country other than Mexico, USA or Canada (NAFTA). As such, that is pretty short notice to have to take a perfectly good vehicle out of Mexico, sell it at a loss at the nearest CarMax in Texas, take a bus or plane back and buy another vehicle in Mexico. For some, that alone is the straw that breaks the camel^s back.

What is amazing is that so many people are totally unaware that they can not keep their foreign plated car after becoming permanente. I also see a lot of blank faces when you explain it is not as simple as just going in to some DMV office and getting plates. I think those of us who have lived in a few different countries have a better idea of what to expect.

Please do yourselves a favor and if your car is worth less than $5,000US, ditch it, or any car. Yes it is a loss of $$$ but you will save future headaches regarding plates, insurance, changes in the law and being arrested and detained and your car impounded if there are problems with your importation papers.

If you are going permanent or plan do then plan on getting rid of your car. I know it hurts both emotionally and financially but it is the cause of so many problems and one that can be solved easily with planning.

What is amazing is that so many people are totally unaware that they can not keep their foreign plated car after becoming permanente. I also see a lot of blank faces when you explain it is not as simple as just going in to some DMV office and getting plates. I think those of us who have lived in a few different countries have a better idea of what to expect.

What is amazing is that you can see that not allowing people to remain temporary and continue to use their cars is an abrupt, literally overnight change that has not really been clearly explained or handled in a reasonable or friendly manner.

Spencer has said it best, you're basically screwed without warning if you're in this situation. Spencer, I take your post as an admission that your earlier counsel to wait and see is no longer valid and in fact is a confirmation that Aduana has decided on their own what the law will be.

While wait and see is fine, it would be more prudent to avoid problems and when appropriate and feasible, to remove the vehicle. I have seen so, so much recently and do not want to bet that any governmental agency will use common sense nor use apply said assumption where the end result may be detrimental to the interests of innocent people. Aduana hasn´t decided officially (they did update their logo on the law links page today) but foreign plated cars generate many issues and a planned removal should be on people´s minds to avoid problems.

I wrote the following to a person who wrote to me regarding the Immigration and Vehicle Issues, and am passing this on to everyone, here:

Yesterday, I was in Guadalajara where I presented my Immigration Report, and your email (without identification) was copied into this report. Both I and the person who asked me to write this report attended this meeting which included some of the most powerful and connected people in Guadalajara and very senior officials in IMN, Guadalajara.

I learned that the issue of vehicles lies in the fact that neither SAT (Hacienda) or Transito (Federal) has for many years made any modification to their laws and rules and regulations pertaining to the import of vehicles into Mexico. As a comment, I wonder if they have not done so since NAFTA came into being? When the official clarified this situation, I made the comment, "I now understand, however, the persons who have written to me, and with whom I have spoken are blaming IMN, because they see IMN as having caused this problem, not SAT or Transito, because it is IMN who changed their laws."

As you may not know, Presidente Nieto recently signed a new Amparo law; which in part states Amaparos cannot be used against the Government to block or suspend any legal Government laws. When new laws are passed or laws amended, the Government is required to enact within 90 days the administrative rules and regulations. This certainly did not happen when the IMN law was changed in May, 2011. I do not know whether the new Amparo law is retroactive, so the one Tio Corp mentions is now null and void. As a heads up, be very careful of who you use to replate your vehicle, as I am hearing of people being ripped off. This is a caution, and no comment intended for or against Tio Corp.

Back to my preceding paragraph. In my report I made a number of recommendations for the Government to consider, one being that a special import permit be issued for a period of four years to allow these vehicles to remain legal in Mexico and thereafter either the vehicle would have to be removed or replated to remain in the country. As a consequence of the discussions on this matter, these officials agree a solution has to be found and they agreed that within the next 30 days they will hold a meeting with all the senior Government officials directly involved with the vehicle issues, to come up with a solution and recommendation which will then be delivered to the appropriate officials within Presidente Nieto's office.

Respecting my submission and discussions on the new IMN laws, etc. I feel this caught the attention of everyone, and as consequence locally in Lakeside there will be some positive steps in respect to what is happening here. I did state the fact that our IMN issues at Lakeside are not just unique to this area, rather have to be impacting the whole of Mexico, where the some 982,000 foreigners live permanently. And so I stated, I know any changes will have to come from Mexico City.

Both I and the person who asked me to write the report, gave the "thumbs up" sign to each other as we left the meeting. Especially, when we heard that our messages will be delivered to Presidente Nieto's office. This does not mean changes will be made, and if they are, will be made soon. But definitely I and the person with me delivered the message of the urgency on these matters, as people have left the country, and are planning to do so, as they see their dreams of their retirement years having been destroyed due to the new IMN laws.

OMG Tio convinced several of my friends that this was easy no problem and they paid up front. They were also told they would not register here in Chapala, do not remember where and never a mention about removing the tip sticker.

It sounded funny from the get go.

I am sure there are lots more in this situation. I feel bad for them.

Someone needs to start up a new, well organized business to help people take their cars out of the country to either sell or import.

If there is a person who has done this a few times, they could take a caravan of frustrated and tired people to the border to go through the entire process of removing the TIP and selling the car.

For Canadians, it is confusing. It depends from what province they come from. You can not just sell a Canadian car at the US border. It would have to be imported into the US and then sold. Very expensive. You need to take it back to Canada and that is really hard for a lot of people here.

I think all the Canadians need to get together and figure out the process to re-patriate the Canadian cars. Once it is nailed down, we could put an ad in the Vancouver sun and have a car sale. Come to Mexico, pick up a Canadian car at a bargain price and drive it home!

Archived