Chapala.com Webboard

Abandoning an Aljibe and putting in new one....

Has anybody 'abandoned' their old aljibe and put in new one? And if so what is the proper procedure. Do you need to fill it or just seal the old one. Also, is under the garage a good location for new aljibe? Current one is under the casita and causing musty smell and noisy motor, making casita unusable.

I have been told old one had to be filled but now am told this is not necessary and just sealing is adequate.

I will be using the casita and don't want any future problems by having the old tank left under there if proper procedure not followed. If just sealed is it possible it could fill with water in future due to leaks or?

I would appreciate and help or opinions as this is all new to me.

Agree. If the thing is near or below the ground water table, it could remain damp and continue to cause you problems. You are definitely wise to move it, these always give off some dampness and should not be under living quarters. Ours is under our garage floor and works great, just remember though that the structure of the aljibe roof in that location has to be able to bear the weight, with safety factors, and not deteriorate over time from the moisture.

Archived