Chapala.com Webboard

Fennel (Hinojo)

All Day

I went to three produce stores in Ajijic and asked for hinojo, which is the word that my dictionary gives for fennel. None of the three owners of the stores knew what I was talking about. Just to make sure it wasn´t due to my pronunciation, I spelled out the word. Still no go.

Do Mexicans use a different word for fennel than the one that´s in my dictionary?

We can usually buy big frondy fennel at our weekly neighborhood tianguis. What's impossible for me to find anywhere is semilla de hinojo (fennel seed), which I need for making Italian sausage. Grrr...

I bought hinojo seeds at the Tuesday market and we are growing our own! But the flavor of the local fennel IS just not as strong as the real European stuff, alas.

I have been purchasing different flower seeds online through Ebay (U.S.) and having them delivered here to my Mexican P.O. box with no problems at all. Everything has come through just fine. (I started with catnip for my kitties!) I'm about to order some fennel seeds from the States, and I hope it is a bit stronger than what you can buy here. I figure, even if it doesn't get here, they only cost a buck or two so it's worth trying!

Archived