Chapala.com Webboard

Driving USA to Ajijic

I have a brother driving here from the west coast of Canada.

We were both wondering about the pro's and con's of crossing in Arizona ( Nogales ) vs Laredo.

I believe both are about 1000 miles of driving in Mexico, so its really about the safety and the better roads.

Does anyone have experience with both of these routes and any advice ?

Also is there another route we havent considered.

Thanks in advance for any helpful info.

lardca Thanks for the info, that makes sense. I have to admit Im not that familiar with the geography, I have always only flown here.

Can you give me an outline of the route you take,so I can pass it on. i.e. hwy x to hwy y to hwy z.

Thanks

I take I-5 all the way to L.A. then east on US 10 through Phoenix to Tucson. From there 19 south to Nogales, AZ. Pay attention to the signs and take the exit that goes west to the Mariposa crossing. It's often referred to as the truck crossing and it's much easier and quicker.

Once you cross the border then it's MEX 15 (toll road) all the way to Guadalajara. Follow the signs towards the airport in Guadalajara and then keep going past it. That road (Chapala Highway) will take you into Chapala/Ajijic etc.

Some possible stops along the way ,depending on how much you drive in a day (I'm a long haul driver so I don't stop much,) would be Navajoa, Culiacan, Mazatlan.

There have been a number of posting on this board in the past with directions and suggestions. You might search for them. They're quite helpful.

Archived