Chapala.com Webboard

Interesting Car import info

Confused

I just called a importer in Laredo. They do car, truck ,farm equipment ect. They told me it was not possible to import a car this year newer than 2007. I asked if I pay more tax, can I then import a newer car. The answer was no. Only 2007 and older.

Anyone else experienced this?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is per the NAFTA rules that have been reported here a number of times.

Also, on standard importation, cannot import anything other than NAFTA cars whose VIN numbers start with 1-4. No Japanese or German cars.

Tio Corp. and one exporter from Juarez claims to have an amparo which is allowing the import of newer and/or non-NAFTA cars. A lot of us are watching to see if this is real.

I have just spoken to someone who can arrange to legitimately obtain Mexican plates for an eligible foreign plated vehicle. In our case it is a 2003 Jeep which can be imported under NAFTA and doesn't need to use the TioCorp amparo "loophole" mentioned above.

He quoted a total of MXN$36,950 made up as follows:

Aduana (customs) MXN$20,000; Permit MXN$ 1,450; Payments to Jalisco State for plates etc. MXN$5,000. Agent's fee MXN$10,000.

I understand the process takes about 45 days and involves the agent having to take the vehicle into customs in Guadalajara to be inspected. This would mean being without the vehicle for a day and a half.

I am also told that other services are available for a lower cost that involve getting Mexico state plates from Mexico City. However, it is my impression that in some cases, the documentation presented to get them may have some deficiencies. If so, this could result in a problem if the vehicle is in an accident and this is discovered. In that case, the insurance would be invalid. Also the vehicle might be impounded.

Any idea if a Kia Sedona qualifies as a NAFTA car? Mine is 2006 and the Vin starts with a K.

No, K means made in Korea.

"arrange to legitimately obtain Mexican plates"...I think THAT statement is incorrect...you would be "wise" to ignore that offer, as you can ONLY import the vehicle AT THE BORDER. A LOT cheaper there !

I have a friend who bought a car in Manzanillo. Registered in Canada. She in turned, trusted a Mexican, signed it over to him, and he legally got all the paperwork done on the car, and once in his name, transfered it back to my friend. It was somewhere around 30,000. pesos, which included 5,000 pesos for his numerous trips to Guadalajara, time and effort put into getting this done.

"arrange to legitimately obtain Mexican plates"...I think THAT statement is incorrect...you would be "wise" to ignore that offer, as you can ONLY import the vehicle AT THE BORDER. A LOT cheaper there !

Thanks for your comment. I know of two other people who have used this process and in both cases the agent had connections with respected lawyers in Ajijic. However, I will investigate further as, depending who one talks to, there are different views ss to exactly what Mexican customs requires. I certainly only want to handle this the legal way as I do not want to face possible other problems at some point in the future.

I have just spoken to someone who can arrange to legitimately obtain Mexican plates for an eligible foreign plated vehicle. In our case it is a 2003 Jeep which can be imported under NAFTA and doesn't need to use the TioCorp amparo "loophole" mentioned above.

He quoted a total of MXN$36,950 made up as follows:

Aduana (customs) MXN$20,000; Permit MXN$ 1,450; Payments to Jalisco State for plates etc. MXN$5,000. Agent's fee MXN$10,000.

I understand the process takes about 45 days and involves the agent having to take the vehicle into customs in Guadalajara to be inspected. This would mean being without the vehicle for a day and a half.

I am also told that other services are available for a lower cost that involve getting Mexico state plates from Mexico City. However, it is my impression that in some cases, the documentation presented to get them may have some deficiencies. If so, this could result in a problem if the vehicle is in an accident and this is discovered. In that case, the insurance would be invalid. Also the vehicle might be impounded.

Those numbers sound way too high for that car which is a legitimate import under current NAFTA rules. I'd keep looking.

And this is a 10 year old jeep on which the duty should be less.

I'd shop it including apparently you can import through agents at the airport.

Over $3 grand for a 10 year old jeep that is hardly worth that amount of money. Doesn't strike me as a good investment.

And this is a 10 year old jeep on which the duty should be less.

I'd shop it including apparently you can import through agents at the airport.

Over $3 grand for a 10 year old jeep that is hardly worth that amount of money. Doesn't strike me as a good investment.

Yes you are right. Question is will the sentimental value outweigh the cost :)

But then, the other option is to drive it back to Canada and sell it there. But is it worth the time and cost to do that? And this isn't in our plans for this year so then we will be at least 6 months as permanente and may then have a problem with the "new" rules as we currently understand them i.e. a permanente not being able to have a foreign plated vehicle.

"They told me it was not possible to import a car this year newer than 2007". So, LEGALLY, one cannot import a car less than 6 years old. Then, I would SUSPECT the paper work on the 4 year old Jeep, wouldn't you?

The thought has crossed my mind also.

After reading all of these comments. I am sceptical of the Tiocorp offer. It really sounds great, and I am sure they are an honorable company. It would be a shame if one goes for the loop hole in the importation law, and trys to sell the car and finds out that the importation was illegal. I am only mentioning this because of some problems in the past with Mexico laws. I love Mexico and do not intend to leave. I am just cautious. Please check things out before investing money.

I have yet to see anybody offering nationalization services locally who has been in business longer than 6 months. Most locals dont do it and their buddy does it and soon the buddy steals the money and the local then stops returning calls.

How can you protect yourself? While nothing is 100%, having a written, signed contract is a good start, also a contract with someone who is established, not someone who works outof their aunts grocery store or who has nothing in the event you get fake papers or your money and documents are gone you have someone with ties to the community who has the financial ability to repay you.

Think this is an erroneous statement- Please post WHERE IN ADUANA LAW it states- CAR CAN ONLY BE IMPORTED AT THE MEXICAN BORDER WITH THE USA

Here is the page you should be able to search and verify that your cars importation pedimiento is real, you should be able to find it by searching the VIN number and if not there then you have fake papers or they paid the fee then canceled it.

http://www.aduanas.sat.gob.mx/soianet/oia_consultarap_cep.aspx

Think this is an erroneous statement- Please post WHERE IN ADUANA LAW it states- CAR CAN ONLY BE IMPORTED AT THE MEXICAN BORDER WITH THE USA

I read that in the ADUANA rules. I can find it again if you really want me to. I presume cars can be imported at other borders on the south if they are registered in Central America, but US and Canadian registered cars only on the Mx. - US border. Alan

Importación definitiva de vehículos usados

http://www.aduanas.sat.gob.mx/aduana_mexico/2008/vehiculos/141_10039.html

This seems to clearly indicate that the importation must be done at the northern border or at a maritime port. So maybe Puerto Vallarta or Manzanillo is possible unless the car has to be on a boat when it comes into port and not driven in over land.

This seems to clearly indicate that the importation must be done at the northern border or at a maritime port. So maybe Puerto Vallarta or Manzanillo is possible unless the car has to be on a boat when it comes into port and not driven in over land.

I have the card of a company in Mexicali that has transport trucks, the large ones, and can pick up and return your car for cheap that the fair priced importer there gave me. He needs the car for about 1 1/2 days so it can be inspected by customs. $5,000 pesos for a 2000 to 2005 cars depending on its current value, including his fee if you show up there. $400.00 pesos for an ADUANA 15 day temporary tranist permit to go south he gets for you. Title in your name, INM card and cash. Alan

Interesting. If it can be done at a maritime port, it sure would be easier than going to the US border. I looked at the two websites of "official" Customs agents listed on Aduana's website and there doesn't seem to be one in PV, but there are in Manzanillo and Mazatlan.

Interesting. If it can be done at a maritime port, it sure would be easier than going to the US border. I looked at the two websites of "official" Customs agents listed on Aduana's website and there doesn't seem to be one in PV, but there are in Manzanillo and Mazatlan.

Who knows what goes on at those ports. When I was getting ready to move my household goods from British Columbia to here I got 3 quotes from BC moving companies. Moving my goods via sea to Manzanillo and then overland was the cheapest route but all 3 companies said there were too many problems with corruption and theft at the port of Manzanillo so instead I went for a land route.

I have the card of a company in Mexicali that has transport trucks, the large ones, and can pick up and return your car for cheap that the fair priced importer there gave me. He needs the car for about 1 1/2 days so it can be inspected by customs. $5,000 pesos for a 2000 to 2005 cars depending on its current value, including his fee if you show up there. $400.00 pesos for an ADUANA 15 day temporary tranist permit to go south he gets for you. Title in your name, INM card and cash. Alan

Alan, I sent you a PM.....

Yes, could you please provide the information for the company in Mexicali so that those of us interested can contact him for information?

.... from a Post Alan made on TOB....

In Reply To
What about his Name, Email Address, and Phone Number?

PG IMPORT

Importacion y Nacionalizacion de Autos, Pickups, Lanchas, Motos etc.

Tel. 686 554-2866, Nextel 152 14 74633

E-Mail: pg.import@hotmail.com

Local S3 C. Comercial Caballito,

Blvd. Adolfo Lopez Mateos

Mexicali B.C. Mexico

Also:

Transportes Americas

Calz. de las Americas #283

Fracc. Sonora

Mexicali B.C

Tel. 686 564 3413 Nextel. 152 1346 2410.

E-Mail: transportesamericasmxl@gmail.com

I understand its not worth it to try to bring a out of state car to mexico. is that right?

New laws? We were going to drive on our final move this year to Ajijic from CA. Spenser said to leave it here and sell it. What are people going to do who have been bypassing the mexico law and choosing the S.D. plates and other outside plated cars, now that they can not be able to do the temp. residency anymore?

Archived