Chapala.com Webboard

russet potatoes

arlenes

In this area, russet potatoes seem to show up from around Thanksgiving through January as they are considered "seasonal" and are apparently imported. We bought our last batch at Superlake toward the end of January. Have never looked for them at the smaller tiendas locally nor at Abastos in GDL..

I noticed it, as well. Normally, our white potatoes are very clean. Then SuperLake had potatoes that were about russet size, and had a dirty look like russets do. When I washed them, they were regular white potatoes. Not sure if they cost more, but it was definitely deceptive.

The last time Russet potatoes were available here was about three years ago, when an expat brought a load back from the U.S. in his truck.

Although I quickly placed an order with him, by the time I got to his place, someone else snapped them up...all gone in a few hours!

My fault for not being quick enough...early worm and all that.

About the so-called Russets at Superlake...they were the Mexican potatoes covered in a brown film, not Russets at all.

I have always gotten them in the place Camille mentioned. It is 2/3 of the way day the street on the mountain side between Colon and Juarez. It is just past the glass and mirror place going west and across from the supermarket that used to be Surtidor before it moved.

"When I'm not with the one I love, I love the one I'm with." So with russets and a few other things that I kissed goodbye to upon moving here.

Tony's restaurant has a way of baking those white potatoes so that they are just delish. Wraps 'em in aluminum foil and cooks them the old fashioned way.

Gracias for all your help. Just having a St. Patty's day celebration and was asked to bring russets. Will pass on all this info to them, I find it fascinating. Especially the part about the import of potatoes to Mx. No matter, large white potatoes covered with dirt will do. We are having a potato bar and wanted large potatoes. Will try Gabriel's Fruteria. I know exactly where you are talking about on the Carretera.

Fruteria Lopez -- 2 locations in Ajijic. Main store is on Hidalgo, about 2 doors west of the bottom end of the plaza corner with Colon.

Other store is up on the carretara, mountain side, between El Pechugón (BBQ chicken place on the corner ) and Mia's Boutique.

Usually best supply is in the main store, but highway location also has some meats for sale. Owner Sr. Alfonso or his wife Sra. Transi will be happy to accomodate you.

These people offer great quality and excellent prices on all your fruit and veg needs. (Also in tianguis Wednesdays, down near the bottom end on the east side.)

I noticed it, as well. Normally, our white potatoes are very clean. Then SuperLake had potatoes that were about russet size, and had a dirty look like russets do. When I washed them, they were regular white potatoes. Not sure if they cost more, but it was definitely deceptive.

In my 7 1/2 year experience with Super Lake, Pancho has never been "deceptive." He is an excellent businessman and that includes knowing that deceiving your customers is not good business.

• 5 years later...
On 3/13/2013 at 12:06 PM, gringal said:

"When I'm not with the one I love, I love the one I'm with." So with russets and a few other things that I kissed goodbye to upon moving here.

Tony's restaurant has a way of baking those white potatoes so that they are just delish. Wraps 'em in aluminum foil and cooks them the old fashioned way.

Bruno's gets russets. That's why they taste like a baked potato should. 

Mexican judge bans potato import from the US, a 'foreign power with hostile policies'

From June of this year. https://www.potatopro.com/news/2018/mexican-judge-bans-potato-import-us-foreign-power-hostile-policies

Since they don't grow in Mexico, as far as I can discover, they ain't being served here.

1 hour ago, ComputerGuy said:

Mexican judge bans potato import from the US, a 'foreign power with hostile policies'

From June of this year. https://www.potatopro.com/news/2018/mexican-judge-bans-potato-import-us-foreign-power-hostile-policies

Since they don't grow in Mexico, as far as I can discover, they ain't being served here.

Just think of the profit opportunity in "obtaining" by some means a large load of russets for those Gringos who just can't live without 'em !!🤑

On 3/13/2013 at 9:44 AM, More Liana said:

It is illegal to import potatoes into Mexico beyond a 16-mile distance. Read here:

http://www.capitalpress.com/oregon/JO-MexicoTrade-122712

Potatoes from the US were legal to import last year and illegal again this year.  The decision can still be overturned by the MX Supreme Court.

https://www.potatopro.com/news/2018/mexican-judge-bans-potato-import-us-foreign-power-hostile-policies

Archived