Chapala.com Webboard

Automobile original sticker document

I was stopped at a checkpoint the other day and while examining my documents the policeman told me that the original copy of the paper portion of my import document (the part matching the sticker on the windshield) was not valid because the name of the owner and importer was hand printed and not computer printed. The car was brought down from Canada about 8 years ago through the Laredo crossing where I guess they didn't have computer terminals at that time.

He said that I needed to get it "authorized" at some government office to validate it so as to confirm that it was not counterfeit. He said that the car could be impounded otherwise.

Is this accurate? Should I be getting this document notarized?

Do I need to get a letter tying the sticker and car to our current FM-3 (expiring in May, 2013)?

Thanks in advance

We can do the tie together with aduana and give you some official looking papers to carry.

They would have official stamps from Aduana as well as a letter generated on their letterhead with another color stamp, all real due to presentation of documents although not technically validating the sticker would be accepting a notification of an immigration being tied to that permit so the permit would be a foundational document for the notification.

Archived