Chapala.com Webboard

New/Old Scam at local parking lots

There is a crew working the local parking lots disabling cars and then repairing them. It happened to us Sunday the 10th of March at Walmart. About 1:30 my wife parked in the lot at Walmart to do some shopping. While she was in the store the car was disabled and would not start when she returned. After a while a man showed up claiming to be a mechanic and checked the car and found that there was a bad sensor. He made a phone call and was able to get a replacement part and fix the car for only 1900 pesos. Since it was Sunday afternoon and she was basically stranded the repair was allowed. Of course, the car was fixed with the part the man had already taken from the car.

Did he show her the sensor, then take it away and come back with the same one?

Not sure what the best action plan is in such a case. I would have called my mechanic, and assuming he arrives and the sensor is still there but unconnected, I am okay. But if the fake mechanic took the sensor, then I have to pay for a new one anyway, and it would have to come from Guad--in fact, I might even have to order it, in which case my car has to be towed home while I await the part. Meanwhile, standing in the lot with my mechanic, the fake mechanic shows up and knows where to get the part locally, but my mechanic knows it is a scam--what would happen? Would I then be standing in the lot while 2 men argue with each other?

What do you think she should have done?

Question: How did the scammer get under the hood of your car to begin with. Most car hoods are locked from inside the cabin and unless you leave the cabin open, no one can get to the engine without damaging the exterior of the vehicle.

How could anyone disable a sensor? Somehow or other an opportunity was made for this. The solution [?]: be careful, lock your car.

I have had clients tell me about all sorts of cars and parts being stolen at Walmart, perhaps Walmart needs to know their lack of security will make people shop at Soriana and they better have more control over their parking lot.

We don't have a regular mechanic and/or tow company to call in case something happens. Can somebody recommend who to call if we have a car problem and need somebody to look at it and/or tow it someplace? In above situation, I like the idea of discreetly calling police, but it made me think of what I'd do in other (legitimate) situations also.

Heather

peachy, if you tell them you will call police they will run away. best to be sneaky about it. for superlake, i know poncho will handle this, he doesnt want to lose business.

Archived