Chapala.com Webboard

First time visit to Ajijic

I am renting a house in West Ajijic for a month in April. I have never been to the Lake Chapala area and have some questions prior to my arrival.

1. Can I easily exchange US $50 or $100 bills at Ajijic banks or do I need to only bring $20’s?

2. Is it a safe assumption that the coffee shops will be using purified water for their coffee?

3. I will be using a cab my first full day there to stock up on household items. Where should I go to get a month’s supply of bottled water? Is there a recommended store for paper towels etc. in the West Ajijic area?

4. When my kids come to visit I would like to go to GDL via bus to meet them at the airport. We will get a cab for the return trip. What are the steps needed to get to GDL from West Ajijic via bus. What should I expect to pay? I am recovering from cancer/chemo. I can do some walking but would like to keep it under a mile. Their plane does not arrive until 2:30 PM so I have time to spend on the bus. I can manage some Spanish.

Thank you in advance for your responses.

do you have phone numbers for mutiple cab drivers?

you can buy a large 5L bottle of water, maybe a neighbor can carry in for you.....

where in west ajijic are you renting?

yes, i think drinking water, and other drinks are safe at the "gringo" places... including coffee shops

for picking kids up at airport, there are local drivers here that can drive you and wait for your kids

not sure about banks exchanging, but there are investment houses here Intercam that exchange money, bring passport, not sure what else you need $50 and $100 are ok

Welcome.

I am sure you will enjoy our area. I may be the one of the first to respond to some of your questions, but I know that there will be many more to follow that have excellent advice.

Shopping: Go out to the carreterra (highway) and hop on a local bus going towards Chapala. The bus will stop at Wal Mart. Shop and fill the basket with whatever you think you might need or want, paper towels and TP and tequila, etc. Always start with the essentials ! :P

Get a cab back to your house from WalMart. If there isn't one outside, sometimes one of the parking guys will call one for you or you can carry the cell phone number of a local taxi in your pocket. Tip the guy who gets one for you and helps to unload your cart. Sometimes I have to wait 10 minutes or so, but one always comes along. You can use the phone inside the customer service counter if it is a call to a local land line, but they say NO to calls to cells.

There are several local tianguis (outdoor markets) that can easily be reached by bus. I am familiar with the WED market. Get on a local bus and for about 7 pesos you can ask to be dropped off at the tianguis at Plaza Bugambillas. Great veggies and a fun morning of people watching. Go early. Get back on the bus just on the other side of the street.

Airport: I am NOT recovering from anything, and am used to walking, but do NOT recommend you try to get the bus to the airport. You can get fairly close, but then you have to cross a busy highway and it will be HOT HOT HOT. Best bet is to contact one of our local drivers, and they will take you to the airport in AC comfort, park and wait for you and your kids and take you back to your house. Pay the little extra - it will be worth it. Recommend Sr Miramontes and family for that. I just went took my friends to the airport last week, saw them off while the driver made a circle of the airport, then he picked me up and brought me home. 450pesos. + tip.

Water: Lots of water companies around. I would suggest you ask your landlord or property manager to have several garafones(sp?) in the house for your arrival. You can get the number of the company you like and call them, and they will come out. Alternately, hang sign on your gate that says AGUA and a truck will come up and deliver inside. You can buy several at WalMart, as well, but Bonafont and several others are all over.

Drinking coffee and tea in restaurants is, in my opinion, safe. They are used to using bottled water, since they do it in their homes, as well. I have done it al the time, but only in restaurants, not roadside stands.

Money: Get some pesos before you leave so you have sufficient for the cab and shopping, etc. You can find several exchange places around town, but we find it more convenient to use our ATM to withdraw pesos. We use HSBC and the cash machines at WalMart give us pesos, as well. You will need to speak to your bank about their policies.

Hope this helps !

C. Stone

The banks do not want cash. Bring an ATM card. Water in restaurants is safe to drink, no problem. There is no bus to take to the airport. I suggest you call one of the local drivers here and have them take you to pick the kids up. He will wait and take you all back to Ajijic.

Infact you may want to have a local driver pick you up when you arrive at GDL.

We use Francisco Miramontes and his sons for airport runs all the time. He is picking my husband up at 4am this coming Tuesday for a 630am flight. They live in Ajijic and are always reliable and speak English. I no longer like to use the cabs at the airport, always have Francisco or one of his sons meet my flight.

miramontes-transfer@hotmail.com

333-157-8060 Mexican cell

You can email them and they will pick you up. I can't find their local phone. Someone else can post for you. Lots of us gringos use them.

Where in West Ajijic will you be staying. I live in w.ajijic also.

I concur with the posters above. Use a debit card and ATM's as needed. Granted there will likely be non-bank use fees and exchange rate fees, but that is better than loosing a big wad of cash. Definitely advise your bank that you will be traveling here. There was just an article in a local paper (Guadalajara Reporter) about a guy stuck in Mexico City with no money because his bank did not know it was truly him, there.

See: http://www.theguadalajarareporter.com/news/news/featured-news/41670-reconsidering-stereotypes-after-penniless-sojourn-in-mexico-city

Intercam next to the 7-11 on the mountainside of the careterra in Ajijic exchanged $20's for me, but said in the future they will only exchange $50's and $100's. They have one of the best exchange rates in town.

On the lake side of the careterra (main street through town) between Colon (the main street down toward the lake in Ajijic) and Juarez (the street West of Colon) there is a wonderful little supermarket that has almost everything you need, including a nice deli, all at very good prices. It is just a few stores west of Dr. Leon's office.

Agree totally with previous posters.

I am renting a house in West Ajijic for a month in April. (How far “west”?

1. Can I easily exchange US $50 or $100 bills at Ajijic banks or do I need to only bring $20’s? (Best to use ATM – can access at GDL airport -- and carry only the amount of travel dollars you would need on US side of border.)

2. Is it a safe assumption that the coffee shops will be using purified water for their coffee? (Yes.)

3. I will be using a cab my first full day there to stock up on household items. Where should I go to get a month’s supply of bottled water? (Does the rental house have a well maintained purification system – if so, might not need the bottled water.) Is there a recommended store for paper towels etc. in the West Ajijic area? (You might want to explore LakesideExpress.com for a delivery of paper goods and other useful items from Costco. There is a very nice small tienda next to Pacifico’s seafood shop – on carretera just east of Av. De Las Flores. You might want to use GoogleEarth to get a perspective on the terrain.))

4. When my kids come to visit I would like to go to GDL via bus to meet them at the airport. (Cab it both ways – best to hire a driver from Ajijic. Archives on this board have several postings of recommended drivers.)

First, congrats on finishing your chemo treatments. You've chosen a wonderful place to rest and recover your energy. There are several spring-fed hot spring spas along the lake that could be a wonderful treat for you. They range in price, so ask for recommendations. We've been to two and had a very nice afternoon.

You should know that credit cards are rarely used here - all cash. ATM's usually offer decent exchange rates - be sure to use one with a swipe rather than insert card - machines can "eat" cards and it's hard to replace here if you are only visiting! Last time I was Lakeside (August) the Walmart had two ATMS - the one on the left had a swiper. The one on the right did not and an elderly man had just lost his card in it and the Walmart staffers didn't speak any English. Also, travelers cheques are a no-go.

I second the recommendation on the driver mentioned above - they are often highly praised as reliable and reasonable.

We will also be down in April - it should be beautiful - but then everyday is at Lake Chapala!!!

My experience had been that most restaurants do have purified water in their establishments. I don't recommend street vendors until you have been here several months and your system has adjusted to the new area. Mexicans don't drink the tap water either - they also use bottled.

You didn't ask, but thought I'd mention to bring shoes with good bottoms - the village streets are cobblestone and are hard on the feet in thin-soled shoes (in my opinion - but I'm a klutz!)

Please understand that Ajijic/Chapala is not a resort town. Whereas in Puerto Vallarta, and such places, many establishments take USD, here they do not. Also you will not find many "cambios" here, only banks and to convert your USD to MXN, you'll need your passport. Put your USD in a US bank that gives you an ATM debit card. Several banks have reciprocal agreements with banks here in Mexico so you will avoid the transaction fee. (My bank, Bank of America has such an agreement with Santander, I get charged no trans fees). When you come in to the airport, find a cambio there, get about $200-300 USD changed into pesos (also "$") for use when you get here. That is a great amount of money, you'll never use it all in your first week!

A word about cash - DO NOT FLASH IT! - A word about jewelry - DO NOT FLASH IT. Be street smart on all economic matters. Opening your wallet or flashing a wad when you pay for things is really not a good idea. Take with you only what you think you will need, lock the rest away in a safe place in your house

I disagree with taking the bus to WalMart, even though it is really cheap, about $7 pesos. As a newbie, you can get a bit intimidated. Call the drivers you've been told about and let them help you in your first days. WalMart here is not USA WalMart and you'll find a lot of good basic stuff you'll need. Some of the help do speak some English and the prices on the shelves do not necessarily match the price that will ring up at the register. Yes, you can use your VISA/MasterCard at Wal-Mart. April can be warm, so you'll appreciate having a driver waiting. Ditto on helpful gringos, they are all over the place and are legitimately friendly, just ask them questions.

While we're at it, the Mexican service people you will meet are also very eager to help. be respectful towards them.

Tipping: yes tipping is not only appreciated but expected. The kid who bags your stuff at WalMart depends on your tips, your waiters also usually get between 15-20% of the bill, depending on service.

As far as the airport, man you do not want to go it alone. Pay the money, hire the driver...it will be easier on you.

Finally to help us help you, can you let us know in what neighborhood you'll be living? West of the plaza is a long way.

You'll love it here, the weather is great, the people are friendly, and the food is really, really good. And yes, unless the place you are renting has a really good multi-stage water purification system, [ask your landlord], buy the garafon (the bottled water that goes on the "water cooler") or use bottled water from the store, not only to drink, but to cook, to make ice, and take meds and even brush you teeth. I wouldn't take any chances to compromise your immune system.

Welcome - you'll love it here!

if you do alot of shopping it IS best to have the cab waiting. you really cant depend upon calling one once you have all those bags. they are sometimes busy.

One of the worst things that can happen is getting traveler's disease (Montezuma's Revenge) to ruin your stay. It keeps you feeling lousy and basically chained to your toilet. Some clinical research suggests Lactobacillus acidophilus (available at any pharmacy in the States) may be effective when used to prevent traveler’s diarrhea. If they have the refrigerated brands, I hear they are more effective, You might want to research it on the net and consider taking some before and during your stay.

As for drinking water, trucks probably drive through your neighborhood every day selling water (5 gal jugs called "garafons") for about $22 pesos ea and the helpful men will carry these heavy jugs into your house for you as part of the service. A lot easier than going to the store and lugging them out to your car. Look around the house, there will probably be one or two empty ones that you will need to exchange for full bottles or the price will be more.

Congrats on successful chemo. That said, an oncologist buddy of mine said that you should be especially careful of the sun for at least a year after chemo. So you might want to consider bringing or buying a wide-brimmed hat and keep some good sun block on hand while visiting,

Enjoy your visit. You will have a great time.

One of the worst things that can happen is getting traveler's disease (Montezuma's Revenge) to ruin your stay. It keeps you feeling lousy and basically chained to your toilet. Some clinical research suggests Lactobacillus acidophilus (available at any pharmacy in the States) may be effective when used to prevent traveler’s diarrhea. If they have the refrigerated brands, I hear they are more effective, You might want to research it on the net and consider taking some before and during your stay.

As for drinking water, trucks probably drive through your neighborhood every day selling water (5 gal jugs called "garafons") for about $22 pesos ea and the helpful men will carry these heavy jugs into your house for you as part of the service. A lot easier than going to the store and lugging them out to your car. Look around the house, there will probably be one or two empty ones that you will need to exchange for full bottles or the price will be more.

Congrats on successful chemo. That said, an oncologist buddy of mine said that you should be especially careful of the sun for at least a year after chemo. So you might want to consider bringing or buying a wide-brimmed hat and keep some good sun block on hand while visiting,

Enjoy your visit. You will have a great time.

There is in the USA a strain of common bacteria found in restuarants called E. ecoli B.

A Dr, in Mexico said here the common strain is E. ecoli A and our bodies need exposure to it to become immune for awhile if coming from the USA, after that it will have no affect as it is at low levels of exposure under normal conditions.

Thank you for your kind and thoughtful replies. I appreciate the tips and advice. For security I don’t want to mention where I will be staying specifically. I will use the online maps of Ajijic to locate the places mentioned in your posts.

In the span of a year I had brain surgery that left me deaf in one ear, cancer surgery and chemo, and then another brain surgery. I was having a sad day thinking about all the things I could't do and realized I needed to focus on what I wanted to do. Spending time in a small Mexican town was on my list. Researcing and planning are positive distractions and if the climate reduces the brain pain while I am there it will be a bonus. Thank you all for your kindness and taking the time to reply.

I concur with the posters above. Use a debit card and ATM's as needed.

Intercam next to the 7-11 on the mountainside of the careterra in Ajijic exchanged $20's for me, but said in the future they will only exchange $50's and $100's. They have one of the best exchange rates in town.

It is not 7-11, it is OXXO next to INTERCAM where I exchange money.

Yes, you can exchange cash at Intercam, next to the OXXO, north side of the carretera, about mid-town Ajijic. However the exchange rate is poor. You can use Scotia Bank ATMs with a Bank of America ATM card free of charge and get a very good exchange rate, better than cash.

Welcome & bravo for you. You've achieved a huge I run a free cancer support group on the second & fourth Monday from 11:30-1pm at my office in Ajijic.The next mtg is this Monday, 11 march.

You'd be most welcome.

If you'd like to attend or want more info, PM me or call me at 766-4522 or e-mail valerie_rhoda@yahoo.com.

Archived