Chapala.com Webboard

Interesting article on retirement places in MX

a very oooold article, in many ways, figures, reality, mistakes (Puerto Vallarta in Nayarit ?? ),....

a very oooold article, in many ways, figures, reality, mistakes (Puerto Vallarta in Nayarit ?? ),....

and I think the second best climate statement is centuries old (actually the alleged article may have been published in National Geographic in 1966)

and feeling good in a certain climate is different for everybody anyway. People from way up North might like the wintermonths here a lot more than the months of April, May....

I live here because through the years I got to know so many people here and the "Euro" takes me a lot further than in Europe (but maybe not for long anymore).

For me personally, climate is not a big factor for living here (although it sure beats Belgium, ...but than, every other weather is better than the Belgian one). From the end of March until June it is too hot and after that, the nights get warmer (although day time temperatures are lower).

And I am not the only one who thinks so, ..... just go to the plaza in the afternoon in the month of May, there is hardly anybody outthere (and I like to be outside to see people).

For me, Puebla, Mazamitla, Tapalpa, Mexico city, Nairobi, some places in Ecuador and Peru (Arequipa), .....climatewise, feel A LOT better, blue skies, lots of sun and once in while a nice sweater and pleasantly cool sleeping.

As they say, you can easily dress up for a little cooler weather,.... it is more difficult to get completely undressed (like on the nude beaches, where only the ugly people get undressed,... have you noticed that?), and even then.

Sometimes, they call it eternal spring, well.... eternal minus 6 months maybe.... 30 or 35 ° Celsius is not spring but high summer. About 10 days ago (and maybe today even) it was already 30 ° Celsius (and that was February).

But again, it all depends on what you are used to + 15 years ago, when I first got here, it felt a little more pleasant and cooler.

Enough b - ing (beep beep... can I use that word ?? ) about the weather.

Rony

I sure hope the person quoted doesn't pay their maid 350 pesos for 15 hours work. They can't live here on that.

In general, I thought it described the things we like about the place. Coming from the desert climate of Albuquerque, we don't find the brief "summer" from about mid April until the rains get going good as really hot. I suspect that part of the reason is that we have a home that is superbly designed to moderate indoor temperature and a nice large pool to cool off in.

I've lived in a lot of places in the U.S. and nothing there comes close to this climate other than Southern California and who can afford to live there? The convenience is fantastic, we have GDL just over the hill and a major airport 30 minutes away though we rarely hear an airplane. We walk constantly, we have wonderful fresh fruits and vegetables year round, we can be at the beach in less than 3 hours and oceanfront rentals are one third the cost NOB.

We're completing our 5th year here and we absolutely love it, minor irritations and all.

I was wondering about the date of the article, too......but at least it said nice things about Lakeside.

When it got to San Miguel, I started to ROFL. Just a bit puffy there on costs and class, etc. Anyone who wants to find out what houses there really cost can look at the Select Real Estate site and get an idea. Not all that expensive unless you want something Grand in Centro. THEN you pay.

The climate here is mighty fine unless you ask me in May. LOL.

I think the claim to having the world's second-best climate is a hoax, probably created and perpetuated by local real estate interests. After all, the Lake Chapala area doesn't even have the best climate in Mexico. I believe that disctinction goes to Cuernavaca. I'm not saying the local climate is bad, just that it rates behind places such as Hawaii, coastal San Diego, the Kenyan highlands, Cochabamba in Bolivia and the aforementioned Cuernavaca. No one has ever been able to produce a copy of that oft-quoted article from the National Geographic. In fact, the National Geographic has denied ever publishing a list of the world's best climates.

He is one of these guys who has never been here but

just takes somebody elses words for granted.

I knew Kristina. She could make "poop" look good.

Very talented writer and promoter...wonderful personality.

She does not live here any more.

On the contrary, islander, Johnny Punish did indeed live here at Lake Chapala for years (he owned a house in the Raquet Club), and he has also lived in a number of other places in Mexico. I remember this article well. It was written several years ago (at least) and although some things are certainly now outdated, much of it is still true. By the way, Kristina misses Mexico and plans to come back soon.

i have a feeling the person has not been here for @least 20 years. but in general, i have never read an artical which tells the truth of what maids/workers are paid. the biggest joke was a TV news report on SMA. the prices looked almost 15 yrs old & then some. everything has doubled here in 10 yrs. i disagree w/most of this, i thought it was a reprint, i was surprised to see the date. the name "punish" (??) is an odd one!!

I think the claim to having the world's second-best climate is a hoax, probably created and perpetuated by local real estate interests. After all, the Lake Chapala area doesn't even have the best climate in Mexico. I believe that disctinction goes to Cuernavaca. I'm not saying the local climate is bad, just that it rates behind places such as Hawaii, coastal San Diego, the Kenyan highlands, Cochabamba in Bolivia and the aforementioned Cuernavaca. No one has ever been able to produce a copy of that oft-quoted article from the National Geographic. In fact, the National Geographic has denied ever publishing a list of the world's best climates.

Coastal San Diego doesn't even come close to equaling this climate. They have real winter there, why do you think all the houses have furnaces? Go a handful of miles inland and they have AC too.

My brother lives there and the last time I visited in the fall, like to froze to death. Not to mention the FOG. Our climate beats the pants off of Southern Cal, sorry.

Kenya? Would you live there??

The data for Cuernavaca show greater extremes than we have here. I believe they also have heat in their houses.

I agree the National Geographic attribution is suspect. It actually should probably be awarded best climate in the world, at least in any place one would want to live in. :)

Coastal San Diego doesn't even come close to equaling this climate. They have real winter there, why do you think all the houses have furnaces? Go a handful of miles inland and they have AC too.

My brother lives there and the last time I visited in the fall, like to froze to death. Not to mention the FOG. Our climate beats the pants off of Southern Cal, sorry.

Kenya? Would you live there??

The data for Cuernavaca show greater extremes than we have here. I believe they also have heat in their houses.

I agree the National Geographic attribution is suspect. It actually should probably be awarded best climate in the world, at least in any place one would want to live in. :)

How 'bout Hawaii?

I remember Johnny Punish (Spelling) quite well. He and his family lived here quite a few years ago. The last time I heard, he lived in northern Mexico, perhaps northern Baja California. I saw and talked to him maybe two years ago when he came down to use a local facilitator to renew his immigration paperwork

When he lived here he ran a business in Ajijic called CompMex (computers Mexico) or something like that where he and a friend of mine gave tech support. If I remember correctly they were just East of the Ajijic Pemex renting space on the second floor of a building there.

Sorry if I was too harsh on Mr. Punish but people who come for a few days, consult with few local experts, mostly real estate people or others who have vested interest in promoting this area, and then wright an "educated" article are a "hot button" with me. (as you have noticed) These articles are never objective but rather promotional. As was this one.

Sorry to say but there is not a better climate around . Mainly thanks to the lake. There was a threat a decade ago that the lake will dry up. That would alter the climate considerably. Lake is the most important element for many to live here. No lake... no snowbirds(us) :-) Ha.

We all should be concerned (about the lake not snowbirds).

Just saying.

I love the weather here in Ajijic, but that is because of what I got used to when growing up, when I was living up north (WA & BC) and in Europe (NL and Bavaria). Now maybe if I were from the very hot (to me) southern US like Oklahoma or Texas, I might like a different climate better. You know, to each his own.

Yet in May when the temp hits about 86 F (30 C ) it's too hot for this heat sissy and I want to go north to the greater Seattle area and to "The Big Island". Vancouver Island, especially when the sun is out (up North). Yes it would be fun to visit friends and relatives in Europe, but that is a little too expensive these days.

Archived