Chapala.com Webboard

Power of Attorney for Sale of Vehicle

FHBOY

It is necessary for me to return my car to the USA to sell it. I dread the trip and my wife absolutely refuses to go through it again. The car is titled in both our names. This being the case I was told by the buying agent that I can use a Power of Attorney with all the proper info in lieu of her appearing.

Where can I get a P o A that will be valid in the USA here at Lakeside? I assume a Mexican P o A will not be valid.

Thanks.

Check motor vehicles for the place your title is from for their requirements.

Thanks to all. I figured that to be a valid PoA it would have to be by an American Notary. If I need to go to a US Consulate, where is the nearest one?

The buyer told me what was necessary in the wording, I can cut and paste from the web and add the necessary specific information.

If you have the time, you might call Clay County, SD and ask what they require for you and your wife to sell the car to just you. Get the title from SD and then go north to sell it. cclaycountysd.org

The notary with the American Consulate comes to LCS on the first Wednesday of each month. They go to the American Legion in Chapala first and come to LCS around 11. You can get your document notarized then.

GREAT! Thanks.

• 4 years later...

Archived