Chapala.com Webboard

We need more water

cedros

In the fraccionamiento that I live in (Raquet Club) we get water from the fracc. 4 hours a week in the wet season and 6 hours a week in the dry season. In between water deliveries we have to manage our water carefully between the aljibe and tinaco. Primitive. We need a better system. We are supposedly a rich fracc. Maybe we can shame the managers into providing a better system by telling them how many other places have water delivery every day, 24 hours a day. So I'm wondering what other areas have continous water supply. Some I know that do are Vista del Lago, Ajijic, Los Sabinos, and San Juan Cosala. Does anyone know of others?

In upper Ajijic, about as far up as you can go on Juarez, we don't have it 24 hours per day either. I suspect 6 to 12 hours per day. I never know because when it's on and there is plenty of pressure, and our Aljibes fill up in only a few hours.

However because the aljibes were built in the mid 1980s when sometimes you wouldn't get water for five or six days, my darn Aljibes are so big I bet I have a two weeks supply should there be no water available from Simapa.

Is that a mistake? 4 and 6 hours a week?? Not 4 and 6 hours a day? Good Grief! and we almost moved there!

No mistake. In past years it used to be 6 hours a week in the wet season and 9 hours a week in the dry. Last year they cut it back to 4 and 6 hours a week as the fracc. is growing and running out of water. There are usually about 20 new houses under construction at any one time. If you are at the end of a water line everyone ahead you gets the water first so that in the dry season expecially you may get water for even a shorter time that 6 hours a week. Last dry season a number of households had to buy truckloads of water. Even though residents are paying over 11,000 a year which is supposed to include water the fracc. doesn't reimburse people that had to go out and buy it privately.

Hacienda La Labor - 2 hours a day. We often see a water truck trudging up the hill to the prison at the end of the road, not enough water comes through for them I guess.

We have our own well, came with the property.

I understand that Vista del Lago has let its golf course go dry, although that is an issue with irrigation water I believe.

I live in RC and I never ran out of water. We have an automatic irrigation system running for one hour every morning. Maybe your aljibe is not large enough. It is true that there are a few residents who do not receive enough. The problem is that their aljibe is built above street level and, of course, they are the last ones to receive any because the distriburion supply is done with gravity pressure and not pump pressure from the street.

I live in RC and I never ran out of water. We have an automatic irrigation system running for one hour every morning. Maybe your aljibe is not large enough. It is true that there are a few residents who do not receive enough. The problem is that their aljibe is built above street level and, of course, they are the last ones to receive any because the distriburion supply is done with gravity pressure and not pump pressure from the street.

You are lucky. My aljibe is big enough. The RC tries to blame water problems on the individual homes but examining each problem situation you can see that is nonsense. Of course many have their aljibes above the street as the RC is on a mountain slope and many of the houses are above the street. Gravity should easily fill all aljibes but the RCs own storage aljibes run out of water. The first probelm is we paid a fortune for a new well that appears to be a dud that produces very little water. Second problem is the RC keeps their communal swimming pool hot by dumping huge amounts of water from the pool 3 or 4 times a week-most of which just runs down the street. Then they have to add huge amounts of hot water 3 or 4 times a week to the pool from our storage aljibes.

Los Sabinos houses (and probably other properties developed by Desherman) do not have an option for water storage, so it's provided 24/7 from the development's well. On the flip side, tinacos on the roof are prohibited, so if something goes wrong with the water system there is no water until the problem is fixed.

Heather

Good point. Many people who have pressurized water systems don't have tinacos so they are without water also when the electricity is off.

You are lucky. My aljibe is big enough. The RC tries to blame water problems on the individual homes but examining each problem situation you can see that is nonsense. Of course many have their aljibes above the street as the RC is on a mountain slope and many of the houses are above the street. Gravity should easily fill all aljibes but the RCs own storage aljibes run out of water. The first probelm is we paid a fortune for a new well that appears to be a dud that produces very little water. Second problem is the RC keeps their communal swimming pool hot by dumping huge amounts of water from the pool 3 or 4 times a week-most of which just runs down the street. Then they have to add huge amounts of hot water 3 or 4 times a week to the pool from our storage aljibes.

So, what you are saying is that RC has enough water to waste. They just have to change the management in order to administer with more professionalism and stop wasting water to keep the pool warm.

even the rich people, eventually, will run out of water. This a worldwide situation. And not for being rich people have the right to waste water, this should be penalized.

Most of the places here, get water 4 or 6 hours a day, not all day. Eventually, all the places should go on rationing the water. That is why most of the Fracc. ask to build an aljibe!

That is FACTUAL. And they heat the pool for 30 people. Some do nort even live in the Raquet Club.

I'm in Centro Chapala and I don't think we have it all the time. Seems like at least once a month we run out of water. I live in an apartment building. We have both an aljibe and a tinaco. I thought we had it all the time until once when we had run out, I mentioned it to someone and they said that they city hadn't delivered water in "downtown" at all yet that day, and it was very late in the evening when it finally happened, later still by the time it was pumped up to our tinaco.

So, what you are saying is that RC has enough water to waste. They just have to change the management in order to administer with more professionalism and stop wasting water to keep the pool warm.

If they stopped the waste of water via the swimming pool it would give the RC enough water for at least a few more years. There are other places they could conserve water such as the watering of their many green spaces. Now they water them by hand or by large sprinklers in the day. They would use much less water for these spaces if they had inground sprinkling systems that watered in the middle of the night.

You would think think that as a relatively large and "rich" fracc. that the RC could have water in their pipes continously as some other places do.

Unfortunately there is nothing they can do about the new well. It cost 1,800,000 and produces little water.

Bacteria and alga are problems in the Raquet Club pool as there rarely is sufficient chlorine in. Last May quite a few swimmers got infections that their doctors thought were probably caused by using the pool. The Club never does proper labratory test on the water quality. Private citizens have to do it themselves on their own dime.

I am assuming that all of these developments have a homeowners fee for services the fracc is supposed to provide. Why in the world would anyone choose to buy into a development where you get insufficient water but still have to pay a fee? Makes no sense to me.

Archived