Chapala.com Webboard

INM - Change to Residente Temporal - Do it yourself?

Travis

I currently have an Inmigrante Visa (the old FM2). Because I only changed to this status two years ago from a previously held FM3, I don't yet qualify to apply for Permanente without providing a bunch of financial documentation, and will (probably) be applying for Temporal. (Ironically, if I'd kept the old FM3/Non-Inmigrante status, i'd be ready to apply for Permanente next month sin financials. Oh well.) It seems clear that at this point those of us already here don't need to provide financial documentation to change to Residente Temporal. So the question is....Do it yourself? Or hire a facilitator?

From what I'm hearing and reading, these days you can do the initial application in Chapala, then check the INM website for updates. At some point there will be notification on the site that you need to appear again at the offices (with photos, to pay the balance, fingerprints, etc.) I think that's when you have to go to Guadalajara. After that stage, you wait xx number of weeks until your card is ready. Currently, I guess, their website is not being updated with the news of when your card arrives in Guadalajara from Mexico City. You just go and hope it's there, and if not, return another day with your fingers crossed.

Is that pretty much how it's working for people these days? For those of you who are doing it yourself (now....not two months ago), is it going fairly smoothly?

Thanks.

P.S. Or.........does anyone know if LOCALLY they are now allowing you to combine continuous, uninterrupted years on a previous Visa with the one you're currently holding, and thereby allowing you to go to Permanente sooner rather than later? I have heard rumors about other parts of the country, but that's irrelevant. The only thing that matters is how things are working now, locally.

I did my resident temporal myself two weeks ago by myself, and it was incredibly easy. Maria at the papeleria in San Antonio next to Mario's restaurant (in the first block west of the plaza) did all of my papers for 100 p., including made all copies of passport, etc. She fully explained the papers and what to do with them. I dropped them off with Maria one day and picked them up the next morning. You can go to any bank and pay the INM fees, then have two copies of the receipt made. I then dropped the whole package off at INM at about noon when it wasn't crowded. There was only one person ahead of me, so I only had to wait about 10 minutes. They reviewed everything, gave me a document with their web page on it, and said to check it in about two weeks. When I return, I'll give them my photographs. All together, less than an hour of my time. Maria's a lovely woman, and, as a guest in this country, I prefer to give my business to a Mexican first. Good luck.

I did the same as MichiganMama. Maria told me to go to Photo Luz on Chapala's main street - 1 or 2 blocks north of the Square - in the alley near the cow. The 5 photos cost me 100 pesos and a 10 minute wait.

Maria said INM won't accept Guadalajara Pharmacy photos.

I submitted my original papers and bank payment forms on Feb 26th. and went back yesterday (Mar 4th) to be fingerprinted and submit the photos. The INM guy told me to return in one month to pick up my card.

"I prefer to give my business to a Mexican first"

Hmmm.... I employ all Mexicans and many have families to support. Denise, Luis, Ahleli, Chata, Saul, Grecia, Lucy, Rodrigo. More than half are attorneys who know their jobs well.

Maria said INM won't accept Guadalajara Pharmacy photos.

Really??? I guess I will find out today. I have been summonded the the INM office in Chapala for fingerprinting and to submit my photos. I was planning on submitting the ones I just got at Farmacia Guadalajara in Ajijic. Maybe I will have to get them retaken?? I'll report what I am asked to do.

If the OP isn't sure about his/her status and whether it's possible to combine continuous FM3 with FM2 in order to go Permanente, I think it would be very wise to invest in a facilitator who does know. This is too big a deal to do on your own if you're in doubt, or to rely on information on a web board.

"I prefer to give my business to a Mexican first"

Hmmm.... I employ all Mexicans and many have families to support. Denise, Luis, Ahleli, Chata, Saul, Grecia, Lucy, Rodrigo. More than half are attorneys who know their jobs well.

I think that we should all be mindful of all the good, sound and free information that Spencer provides to readers of this board and thank him for this by rewarding him with our business when we are in need of immigration or legal assistance. Just a thought....

Oatsie: So you submitted your photos and got fingerprints done at the Chapala Office yesterday? That's good to know. Sounds like the only (potential) trip to Guadalajara would be to pick up the card once it's ready. And who knows, in a couple of months, maybe they'll be shipping the cards to the Lake for those that processed applications here.

If the OP isn't sure about his/her status and whether it's possible to combine continuous FM3 with FM2 in order to go Permanente, I think it would be very wise to invest in a facilitator who does know. This is too big a deal to do on your own if you're in doubt, or to rely on information on a web board.

I'm meeting with a professional today. If she tells me "they're not allowing you to combine years from previous visas" it won't be the first time I will have been told that by a professional. If that's the case, it sounds like a pretty simple process. If, however, she tells me it is possible to combine years and apply for permanente, I'll definitely hire someone to help make it happen.

Thanks, all.

Really??? I guess I will find out today. I have been summonded the the INM office in Chapala for fingerprinting and to submit my photos. I was planning on submitting the ones I just got at Farmacia Guadalajara in Ajijic. Maybe I will have to get them retaken?? I'll report what I am asked to do.

Went to INM to do signatures, fingerprints and submit photos for my renewal to Temporal today. No issue with accepting my photos that I had taken at Farmacia Guadalajara. My application for renewal was only submitted a week ago Monday (25th). Spencer said it was one of the fastest he has seen yet so far under the new rules.

For anyone wondering, I was told yesterday that no, the local INM office is not allowing people to combine previous years on other visas to qualify for Residente Permanente without providing financial information. It's all about the magic prorroga/refrendo number on the back of your current visa.

So now I have to decide whether or not to apply for Permanente (by printing out 12 months of statements and, I think, having them translated), or simply getting a Residente Temporal for a couple of years, and then apply for Permanente. Hmmmm. Decisions, decisions.

Yes, financials need to be translated by a professional. The system is a mess and we make many trips and wait and after paying for our people to make multiple trips including to get the cards and check it is not that bad if you factor in 4 to 5 trips.

$6,000 pesos for 2 people? Seems high unless you mean for permanente but then there are trips to Guadalajara and translations, most official translators charge 200 to 300 pesos a page so when you add it all up the saving doing it yourself isn´t much unless you have lots of time and patience.

Archived