Chapala.com Webboard

Lessons to be learnt from dealing with life threatening situations

Rony

After having followed up a few cases, where people have recently been taken to the red cross in life threatening situations, I learnt a few things.

If you happen to be unconscious, other people will have to take decisions for you and if you are at the mercy of doctors that you do not know or worse, dependant of bureaucratic procedures, you better have a "hands on" Spanish speaking person with you, a person that will stand up for you and that will fight for you.

One way or another, many times, A LOT of precious time seems to be lost, time that your life could be saved (I am sorry that I can not talk about specific cases, as I do not want to go to deep in other people's medical privacy).

..... + some money. It seems to me that (again) time is wasted if there is no dinero.

Please, anybody, correct me if I am wrong, but if for example, the hospital civil is full or that hospital just does not give any authorisation, the ambulance from the red cross will not be allowed to leave here with the patient.. The only other outcome that I can see then is to go private, but then someone will have to show some money.

Conclusion for me : you need a reliable, strong Spanish speaking person of trust and maybe a seperate bank account with some money that can be accessed by that same person.

I have seen situations where the partner/husband/wife was not able to perform this task (because of being incapacitated) or the victim had money but no cash on hand.

I personally am not too worried about being dead ( no more taxes ! ) but coming from a country where euthanasia is legal, it would be my biggest nightmare to end up in situation where, because of all this wasted time (in an emergency), I would end up with even more brain damage than I have already.

Rony

yes you are right to talk about this

its important to carry a credit card on you in case of an accident, to help your spouse or family members,

hospitals want 20,000 or 30,000 pesos to start your critical emergency care.

unitl you get more funds.

or have a special bank account where a friend can withdraw that amount for you in a emergency, with your frinds name on it.

If possible I would recommend private insurance. It has been a God send for me. You can go to any hospital and they take you right in with your insurance card. I have Met Life and have never had any problems with multiple hospitalization for severe illnesses. I just show them my card and in I go.

On your person its important to have emergeny contact info. I never thought about how important it is to have someone who in totally bi-lingual, but I am going to look into that. That is a very good point.

If you do not have insurance, you should at least have the name and phone number of your physician as well as contact information. Its not just the money that is the issue, its the fact they have no idea of your medications, or medical history and that can be critical in saving your life.

A thought: Why can't one prequalify with a hospital or hospitals??? Kinda like prequalifing for a mortgage NOB?

Mexico needs a system to do this.

If you have an insurance card on your person, that helps the dispatchers know what hospital to take you to. Someone posted a really good flow chart on what happens in an emergency situation and how it is determined what hospital to take you to. I will see if I can find it. Like somone else posted, it also will get you taken care of very quickly - if its private insurance.

If you have US insurance that will pay for care overseas, you may be able to get preapproval from Hospital San Javier. It is worth making an appointment with Oscar Perez, business manager, to see if you can be admitted without paying upfront. We have arranged this for my husband. I am sure it is on an individual basis, depending on what insurance you have, what gets approved.

if red cross can't transport you because hospital civil says no room, my understanding if someone else just drives you to the emergency room - they have to take you.

guess we should all know how to get to these hospitals.

keep working on your Spanish folks... it could save a life.

Also, when I talk to my Mexican friends, they do not seem to be prepared for an emergency either. When I ask people, what will you do right away, when the person next to you gets a heart attack or a stroke and you have to act fast.

Do you have the right number to call (in Spanish ?? ), some money ready, paperwork, ambulance or car, the Spanish speaking person to assist you, red cross or IMSS (during the night, the IMSS ambulance drivers are not always immediately available, so I have been told,....).

I like to think about this myself beforehand, because in a moment of panick, you might do the wrong thing, with maybe big consequences.

NOB or in Europe, it is all a bit easier, I think, .... 911 and they will take you to a hospital right away, that is it. I do not know about the US or Canada, but in Europe, money is not an issue if the situation is bad. Here, ... all a bit confusing.

Rony

My gardener fell and broke his ankle. I drove him and his spouse to Cruze Roja in Chapala where he was xrayed and diagnosed. Because Hospital Civil had a two week waiting list, he was able to get into Cruz Verde in Guad, but Cruz Roja wouldn't take him. He had to take a taxi, which I paid for.

Cost for xrays--250 p

Cost for taxi--400p

So it may be good to carry about a $1000+ p in cash and a cell phone with the number of a local taxi programed into it. That at least will get you headed in the right direction in an emergency.

I was recently rushed to Hospital Bernardette for surgery. They admitted me immediately with my BCBS card from NoB.

Getting out was another matter: As I am rather blind, I handed them my debit card, instead of my credit card, to cover the co-pay. Of cours, it cleaned out my checking account, plus an overdraft, but still did not cover the bill. They do not take checks and it took a while for us to realize that I had used the wrong card. Once that was corrected, I was free to go home.

Lesson: Have a credit card with a sufficient limit to cover your possible needs.

My gardener fell and broke his ankle. I drove him and his spouse to Cruze Roja in Chapala where he was xrayed and diagnosed. Because Hospital Civil had a two week waiting list, he was able to get into Cruz Verde in Guad, but Cruz Roja wouldn't take him. He had to take a taxi, which I paid for.

Cost for xrays--250 p

Cost for taxi--400p

So it may be good to carry about a $1000+ p in cash and a cell phone with the number of a local taxi programed into it. That at least will get you headed in the right direction in an emergency.

Who made the call that determined where your Gardner went? Does Cruz Roja do that?

Archived