Chapala.com Webboard

Positive article on Mexico's economy

holdrja

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/27/opinion/friedman-is-mexico-the-comeback-kid.html?nl=todaysheadlines&emc=edit_th_20130227

Also of interest -- the first comment following the article:

"I applaud Thomas Friedman for daring to say something positive about Mexico. I live in a Texas bordertown and have students who daily commute to classes on the American side of the Rio Grande. Although I worry about them due to constant headlines in the local paper of the dangers in Nuevo Laredo, they take it all in stride and go about their lives in the most optimistic way possible. Another benefit to the American economy from Mexico's progress is the fact that it is a tradition going back at least 150 years for Mexicans of means to shop in the United States. Here in Laredo, Texas we have a great variety of very successful retail outlets that depend mostly on shoppers from across the river. When I hear the very loud and insistent Mexico bashers that permeate all discussions about our neighbor country, I just nod my head and marvel at how much they have to say about a relationship they know so little about. Mexico is our past, our present, and our future, like it or not..."

Archived