Chapala.com Webboard

name of coffee

lcrop1

Try the coffee shop across from the church in Ajijic.

Ditto on the recommendation for the shop across from the church, Café Grano. They roast their Mexican coffee beans there (now my favorite over Columbian) from Oaxaca and Chiapas, both light and dark roast. I usually get a blend of each.

You can get the Kirkland Colombian coffee at Superlake, it's up high on a shelf in a large brown tin. Lakeside Express could also get it for you from Costco. I don't personally like the local coffees, they have a lot of bitterness and lack body (to me). But we do like the Kirkland Colombian.

You can help the environment and the Mexican economy by buying Mexican coffee. It doesn't go through an assembly line to be canned and labeled. It isn't trucked and shipped across continents. I like Costco, and shop there, but why buy a canned good there when the product is grown within Mexico and sold in a paper bag?

I would compare the Kirkland brand to Folgers up North. I am currently buying the Green Mountain Suave/Soft/Mild Blend from Cafe Grano which is the coffee store near across the street from the Parroquia in Ajijic. They roast their own coffee and this blend is, right now, and I've tried a lot of their coffees. The Chiapas and Oaxacan coffees are too strong and bitter for me -- like Starbucks coffees.

You can get both whole beans and ground coffee at the store on Calle Marcos Castellanos in Ajijic and Super Lake.

The Kirkland coffee that we prefer comes in a gold-colored bag and is called Café Gourmet Molido. It comes from Chiapas. Between our coffeemaker and this coffee, we actually look forward to the first sip of the morning. Mmmm...good to the last drop!

Archived