Chapala.com Webboard

Acquiring Visa from Mexican Consulate in Canada

eagles100

Has anyone acquired a Mexican Visa from a Canadian Consulate?

We'd like to know how it went.

How long did it take to get an interview once you sent in your application and supporting documents?

Which Consulate did you go through?

Did you get a Temporal or Permanente Visa?

Any further information would be great.

If you wish to remain anonymous, please private message me.

Much thanks

Has anyone acquired a Mexican Visa from a Canadian Consulate?

We'd like to know how it went.

How long did it take to get an interview once you sent in your application and supporting documents?

Which Consulate did you go through?

Did you get a Temporal or Permanente Visa?

Any further information would be great.

If you wish to remain anonymous, please private message me.

Much thanks

I think you mean from a Mexican Consulate in Canada.

Not sure if this is what you are looking for. I initiated my application for an FM3 last March by visiting the Mexican Consulate in Toronto. I did this since I was only going to be visiting Chapala for a week at the end of the month and needed it completed during the week. It took two visits, first to submit the documentation including a security clearance from the Police and photos as well as payment of fees. About a week later I got back my passport back wiith a visa in it and the paperwork to take to an INM office after my arrival in Mexico.

Upon arrival I immediately took this to Spencer in Chapala on a Monday. I received a phone call from his office Tuesday afternoon that my FM3 was ready and scheduled to go to INM Wednesday to get fingerprints taken. Did this and left with my FM3 in hand.

Under the new immigration rules in place now such a way would be impossible.

Not sure if this is what you are looking for. I initiated my application for an FM3 last March by visiting the Mexican Consulate in Toronto. I did this since I was only going to be visiting Chapala for a week at the end of the month and needed it completed during the week. It took two visits, first to submit the documentation including a security clearance from the Police and photos as well as payment of fees. About a week later I got back my passport back wiith a visa in it and the paperwork to take to an INM office after my arrival in Mexico.

Upon arrival I immediately took this to Spencer in Chapala on a Monday. I received a phone call from his office Tuesday afternoon that my FM3 was ready and scheduled to go to INM Wednesday to get fingerprints taken. Did this and left with my FM3 in hand.

Under the new immigration rules in place now such a way would be impossible.

Thanks for your post Ezzie.

It's sounds like a similar process from our home country (Canada) though the financial requirements are obviously more.

I e-mailed one of the agents in the Montreal office. Here is part of the conversation:

How long after you receive our documents will it take to get an interview?

Normally we can take three working days to give you an appointment. The appointment date also depends on when you would be available to present yourselves to the Mexican Consulate.

What are the fees? When do we pay the fees? What form or payment do you accept?

Here at the consulate you must pay only the fees for the visa. These fees are paid in cash the same day the visa is issued. The fees in February are $37.08 CAD. Each month this fee change so please verify our website http://consulmex.sre.gob.mx/montreal/index.php/en/consular-fees

Do we get our Visa the same day as the interview?

Normally, we will issue the visa the same day. Since the moment you arrive to the moment we give you the visa, you may stay in the consulate maximum 2hours.

Once we get our Visa, do we have 6 months to go to Mexico?

Yes the visa is issue with a validity of 6 months and one entry. Once in Mexico you must go within 30 days after your arrival to the closest office of the National Institute of Immigration http://www.inm.gob.mx/index.php/page/Oficinas_y_Horarios and get the Temporary/Permanent Residency card. This card will allow you multiple entries.

To get the card you must apply for it with the documents shown in the following website from Immigration Mexico. http://www.inm.gob.mx/static/Tramites_LM/Estancia_LM/Expedicion_de_doc_Migratorio/Expedicion_de_doc_migratorio_por_canje.pdf . fill out a form online and print it http://www.inm.gob.mx/index.php/page/Solicitud_de_Estancia. You must fill out this form after you get the visa.

In Mexico you will have to pay the fees for the Temporary or Permanent Residence Card.

Do you know if we would become Permanente, can we import a Japanese made vehicle or a NAFTA vehicle? Or are we not permitted to import any vehicle?

Normally you could be able to bring a vehicle and it can stay as long as your status in Mexico last, but I cannot assure you if you could do the permanent importation of it. In any case you must do the importation at the North border of the country. If you have any specific question about it you need to ask to Aduanas Mexico. Please visit their website http://www.aduanas.gob.mx/aduana_mexico/2008/vehiculos/141_10038.html Just some information is available in English

Each month this fee change so please verify our website http://consulmex.sre...n/consular-fees

doncha luvit! :017:

The fee would change because they are quoting it in Canadian dollars but the amount is determined in Mexican Pesos...... don't you think? I just assume that, I may be wrong.

You may want to contact the consulate you are personally going to visit. Since consulates are part of Mexico's SRE and not the INM, they sometimes have different rules. Some consulates in the U.S. are asking for the bare minimum, while others want a criminal background check. Some consulates want a year's worth of bank statements, others only 6 months. My local consulate wanted:

1) 6 months of bank statements

2) Letter from U.S. employer OR Letter confirming pensions/Social Security

3) Copy of passport

4) a passport photo

5) Visa application that can be filled out there or beforehand

and a copy of all of the above

6) $36 USD for the visa

Depending on the consulate you may want to set up an appt. early. I can't see my local consulate until the first part of April (It is a smaller consulate office, not a huge one like those in Houston, Chicago, New York, etc.)

Archived