Chapala.com Webboard

Buying a car in Mexico

eagles100

I would think that 2 car crashes here in Mexico are a rare animal, so nothing to be alarmed about if you have a fit. ;)

Good luck with that idea. :)

http://www.washingtonian.com/blogs/capitalcomment/news-gossip/just-how-safe-or-unsafe-are-mini-cars.php

In 2012 we introduced this new small-overlap frontal crash test, where only one quarter of the front end strikes a barrier. That simulates what happens when you cross the center line and hit an oncoming vehicle, or if you go off the road and hit a tree.

Or hit a cow, burro or horse.

Mexicans love those big pickup trucks. Maybe one should consider buying something a bit larger and safer and being more efficient in how they drive it. Group your errands together, for example.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We went into Guadalajara thinking that we were going to buy a new car after we were forced to sell our Honda CRV. The last place we went was the Dalton Toyota dealer. We looked at new cars, then wandered into the Casi Nuevo area. We found a 2011 RAV4 that had never been sold by the dealer. So when we

bought it, we were the original owners, and the timespan of the warranty began last September, in 2013, not in 2011. We added three more years and an additional 125,000 km to the warranty so it now runs until 2019 or until we reach the mileage limit (which very well may happen sooner). The car was only driven by Toyota executives to and from work after its stint as a demo in 2011. We saved well over $100,000 pesos and got a car that looked and smelled and felt like brand new (still does, BTW). The dealer handled all of the registration and licensing issues and we picked up the car ourselves with only one problem. I got a bank check from Multiva bank in Ajijic for the whole final amount due on the car but they seemed to think that these checks have to "clear" like a personal check. I argued to no avail, but I remembered that I had picked up a business card from the executive at Multiva who had the banker's check cut. Toyota called him at the bank and, voila! we drove away with the car. We still love it and did it all ourselves. This, however, was all conducted in Spanish. No one there spoke English. We were happy to do it in Spanish, no problem. But if you need translation, Spenser (the auto guy, not the lawyer) is a good bet for sure.

After you sign up with xetrade (which costs nothing, but takes awhile), when you sign in to make a trade, you fill out all the required fields to make a trade, then click the "quote" and it will give you the amount you have requested tranferred, in the currency you are exchanging to. This quote lasts for 1 minute, then you can click it again, as the rates change minutely every minute. If you have reason to think the rates may go up in following days, or don't need the transfer right away, or have seen a better rate elsewhere, or were just checking, you can just hit "cancel" to cancel the trade. Otherwise continue.

Thanks mudgirl -- I didn't know that!

Spencer at S&S might be a great choice when you have a generous budget; however, when I was in the market for a used car on a limited budget (under $50,000-$60,000 pesos), I couldn't get anyone over there to speak with me.

Last July, I bought a car from Spencer for $53,000 pesos, paid by Canadian check and had a great experience, Nothing was too much trouble for him or his staff. I approached it by going and telling him approximately what I wanted and would he keep his eyes open. I kept looking at other options and waited , A couple of weeks later he rang and I went, enjoyed the car, and bought it ! Very Happy

Last July, I bought a car from Spencer for $53,000 pesos, paid by Canadian check and had a great experience, Nothing was too much trouble for him or his staff. I approached it by going and telling him approximately what I wanted and would he keep his eyes open. I kept looking at other options and waited , A couple of weeks later he rang and I went, enjoyed the car, and bought it ! Very Happy

What type of car were you able to purchase for $53,000 pesos?

Interesting. A friend whose budget is MX$70k told us yesterday that Spencer wasn't interested in helping him at that price.

What fee did Spencer charge for the $53k car?

• 1 month later...

So after finally getting our money transferred into pesos and deciding on using S&S, we paid for our car last Tuesday and then we waited.

S&S told us it would take 2-3 days to get the car, okay. I can understand Mexico runs on a slower clock.

Thursday came and went, nothing. Karen at S&S told us we'd get the car Friday but that didn't happen. She then told us we'd get it today (Monday) but that didn't happen either.

My question is: How long did it take y'all to get a car registered and delivered to you after you have paid it in full?

I'm thinking 7 days is a bit extreme. We're not happy campers.

The dealer told Karen they are swamped hmmmmmm … yeah right.

We also wanted an add-on which in the brochure but they say it's not available in Mexico !!??

We have also been waiting on a price of an extra wheel on a rim for 10 days, still no price.

I'm NOT impressed with that dealer.

I purchased a car from S&S Auto 10 months ago. It came when promised. Sadly the options I wanted based upon a US dealer webpage were not available down here. But when I went to a Mexican dealership webpage, I saw that what is available is different here in Mexico. And I got everything promised me by this Mexican webpage and by S&S autos.

I have been very happy with S&S Autos and Spencer and Karen. And I highly recommend them.

I purchased a car from S&S Auto 10 months ago. It came when promised. Sadly the options I wanted based upon a US dealer webpage were not available down here. But when I went to a Mexican dealership webpage, I saw that what is available is different here in Mexico. And I got everything promised me by this Mexican webpage and by S&S autos.

I have been very happy with S&S Autos and Spencer and Karen. And I highly recommend them.

Many safety items like the number of air bags etc., are not included in the same model sold in Mexico as sold for the USA market...so whilst the Mexican price may see to be attractive for the same model, you are not getting all the bells and whistles for the same model sold NOB

But I was looking at the Mexican brochure, all in Spanish. You'd think the add-ons in their own brochure would be available to order.

I bought my car through Spencer and could not have been happier he and Karen go the extra mile . I really appreciated their after sales service in getting the car serviced etc. I am now in the market for a larger car and for sure I will deal with them.

I'm not saying I'm blaming S&S.

But I do not understand why it will be 7 days tomorrow and still no car when the dealer said the car we wanted was in their bodega.

If I could speak Spanish better, I would have went to the dealer and start asking questions.

All they had to do was clean it (how hard can it be, being a new car) + get the registration.

Spencer wouldn't give me the time of day, as my budget was under $120,000p. It seems that new and/or expensive cars are his forte.

Mark Turford helped me find a used car - was quite an experience and I learned a lot. I would not try to do it on my own, as ownership is always a little tricky to prove.

If we hadn't settled for the one color we were offered - it would have been 2 months or more.

Right, I hear ya. That's why we chose a colour that they "say" they have in stock. Let's see if they come up with it.

*Insert deep breaths*

So after finally getting our money transferred into pesos and deciding on using S&S, we paid for our car last Tuesday and then we waited.

S&S told us it would take 2-3 days to get the car, okay. I can understand Mexico runs on a slower clock.

Thursday came and went, nothing. Karen at S&S told us we'd get the car Friday but that didn't happen. She then told us we'd get it today (Monday) but that didn't happen either.

My question is: How long did it take y'all to get a car registered and delivered to you after you have paid it in full?

I'm thinking 7 days is a bit extreme. We're not happy campers.

The dealer didn´t have the color we wanted and very few automatics. It took 2 weeks but the dealer gave us a demo to use for those 2 weeks the moment they had our money. Also we knew someone who was friends with the sales manager and got a $14,000 peso discount and free rubber floor mats. All the other VW dealers, nada! [ Nissan dealers seem to not give any discounts so we bought a VW instead] They told us 3 day delivery from the VW Factory in Puebla, then 1 week, then next week also. It arrived on that next Fri. and we picked it up on Sat. with plates, registration and a good discount on 1 year´s insurance.

In 2007, we bought our new smart from the showroom floor in Guadalajara on a Wednesday. They delivered it to us in Chapala on Saturday morning with plates and paperwork.

It took about a week for me to get mine through Spencer after I had paid for it. I wasn't in a rush as I had another car and I paid Spencer with a Canadian cheque and I assumed he want a few days to make sure it cleared.

Archived