Chapala.com Webboard

Why is my electric bill so LOW ?

twelveoaks

We have been in our house for ten months. In June our first electric bill came and it was still in the name of the builder ( new house ) So, I went to CFE to change the account into my name and pay the current bill which was the minimum since the house had been unoccupied. They told me I needed to go back home and get the meter number and the reading on the meter which I found to be very unusual but I complied. The reading was 2312 kwh. Now, ten months later the reading is a mear 3,629 which is impossibly low. However, that is not the really weird part. My two month billings have averaged around 110 kwh which is impossible ! I have been waiting for them to get it worked out and every month I have set aside $100 USD for when the time came. Today, having run out of patience I went to CFE and encountered the rudest person I have ever met and she was not at all concerned about the situation.

Anyway, does any one out there have any thoughts as to what is going on or have had a similar experience ?

Do nothing - say nothing and count your blessings. Repeat with every bill you get.

That is very dangerous. Sometimes CFE comes back once they discover the error with a bill which is much much larger than is fair and then let you try to prove that they are wrong..

I know that I'm going too far, but I read my meter readings every day while in the car as I leave for breakfast. I enjoy doing it especially because I have a photo-voltaic system and sell electricity to the CFE during the day and draw power from the grid at night. And yes I have found meter reader errors, have taken pictures, and have had my bills corrected.

EDIT: And by correcting CFE, I have had to pay less, not more.

Many years ago I got some good advice from a lady who does rental management. The advice was to never accept a minimum or even low bill from CFE. This actually happened to us because CFE just neglected to read the meter. Then we get a bill for like $7,000 pesos when they finally got around to reading the meter. Admittedly my wife are not near conservative enough with electricity although we have made an effort to be more conservative. Our CFE bill runs somewhere between $2,500 and $3,000 pesos per cycle and we live in a modest home with efficient appliances and no pool.

Make sure the builder didnt stick in a bridge to steal energy as if they catch that they will fine you.

You are so lucky to get a small bill, but like Johanson says, I have heard from friends and read on this board that you may in fact get a huge bill with no changes in your consumption and lifestyle when they finally read your meter right. I live in Riberas and our bill is always over 3,000 p and we do not have a pool or other electric devices besides a tv that might use a significantly high amount of energy. We have been on the higer rate since we moved here over 3 years ago. A new digital meter did not make any difference, in fact the bills were higher. Had several electrical "maestros" here to check it all out and they could not find any thing out of the ordinary. I swear some business with all kinds of electronic gadgets up the road somewhere is plugged into our electric lines. Complaints have done nothing but result in the new digital metter which as I said has raised our bill, so no more complaints from me!

I have never had a high electric bill in the 2 house I've lived in. The first one the electric and phone bills went to the landlord and they paid them and brought me the bills and reciepts of payment and I just reimbursed them. They always left the orriginal paperwork with me. Great landlords.

The house I live in now the electric bill is in the landlord's name but delivered to my home. It is also low. On the bill is the total consumption is(1301.87p) and below that is Aportacion gubernamental (-929.36) so with the government discount the bill is 372.81 plus taxes etc. my bill this month is 433.00. My best friend who lived in this house prior to me for 17 years, mentioned the government discount started, oh I would say a year ago. Since the bill is in the landlord's name, perhaps he has something to do with the discount.

I have found a CFE staffer in his truck complete with clip board and binoculars staring intently at my meter. My Spanish is limited but I tried to get a response about his task. Nada. Stayed for 5-10 minutes staring intently at the meter. Still wondering why? The sticking part sounds possible however we have never seen that ourselves just very slow continuous movement.

I have found a CFE staffer in his truck complete with clip board and binoculars staring intently at my meter. My Spanish is limited but I tried to get a response about his task. Nada. Stayed for 5-10 minutes staring intently at the meter. Still wondering why? The sticking part sounds possible however we have never seen that ourselves just very slow continuous movement.

He was probably figuring the consumption of electricity at the moment.

Neighbors of ours have paid 44 pesos per period for three years.They recently sold their house and moved to Pa.I was told by CFE that they owed over 10,000 pesos and if I paid them 5000 they would replace the meter and call it even.I told them I was not paying them a dime.They came and replaced the meter and the new people in the house are paying 44 pesos.Whatever!!

I found that the electric bill was comprable to that of P.G.E. in California. Then because the house was vacant, but still had electricity, that my neighbors (who were soooooo friendly ) were taping the line. When one of them died (I hope he roasts in Hell) it went down considerably (nearly 2/3's) So much for the wonderful, caring Mexicans.

R

Archived