Chapala.com Webboard

The New Car Rules--Not Good News

Mainecoons

Studio, a friend who has lived here twenty years and knows just about everyone told me she heard there is a place on the other side of the lake who takes cars as donations and does all the paperwork. That could be an easy option for some. My ole Toyota has been the miracle car and never breaks down or doesn't start. Dang, I don't want to replace it. Wait and see.....

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Roily was the source of the information in my OP. It seems that he thinks the Vallarta presentation and what was said there is significant and maybe what the car policy is going to be.

We shall see, eh?

Also, note the Tio Corp. thread and my update to it. For those who are going Permanente, this may yet prove to be another route to get the cars legitimized. At least for a while.

I was going nuts when the new visa thing was going on. One day after a lot of thinking I decided there was nothing I could do but to wait for my turn. I worked find for me and my new Visa Temporal is in my wallet. I am going to do the same about the car. There is nothing we could do for now. Not going to go crazy until the dust clears. Then we will take whatever action is good for us. We all should all do the same.

I agree, carib, any action or coping with a lot of stress is "making payment on a debt that has not been incurred".

Bingo! Margarita time. My gardener offered to buy my car.Wonder how that would work out? I take off the plates, scratch out the VIN, and leave it parked on the side of the road near his house with the key in it? Maybe let the air out of a couple tires, remove the battery. Lost, stolen, and found? Probably wouldn't be the first car to go that way.

Bingo! Margarita time. My gardener offered to buy my car.Wonder how that would work out? I take off the plates, scratch out the VIN, and leave it parked on the side of the road near his house with the key in it? Maybe let the air out of a couple tires, remove the battery. Lost, stolen, and found? Probably wouldn't be the first car to go that way.

Modern cars have the vin # in 4 places. You can bet if that car is in a wreck and kills someone, the cops will find a vin number on it.

I have to agree with jrm30655.

The table below will help you locate your car's unique DNA - its unique vehicle identification number. VINs are normally located in several locations on a car, but the most common places are:

- On the door frame/door post of the front doors (usually driver's but sometimes passenger's)

- On the dash near the windshield

- On the engine itself (machined pad on front of engine)

- On the car's firewall

- In the left-hand inner wheel arch

- On the steering wheel/steering column

- On the radiator support bracket

- On your car's title, registration, guarantee/maintenance book or on the declarations page of your auto insurance policy

Fox

respectfully...you make it sound like relocating is a piece of cake. that

sure hasn't been my experience. and with the cops 'round here, you'd be

paying mordida every time you took a drive. unless mordida ensures that

that same cop will never hassle you again. i really don't know...is that how it works ?

What do you folks do that attracts the cops? I have not been stopped in three years

with gringo plates or Jalisco plates. Could many of us just not be following the law

like seat belts, left hand turn from right shoulder, turning the right way in the traffic

circles in La Floresta, drive 80 in a 40 on the carraterra. I am just saying part of this

problem may be created by our own driving habits and lack of paying attention to the

different rules.

What do you folks do that attracts the cops? I have not been stopped in three years

with gringo plates or Jalisco plates. Could many of us just not be following the law

like seat belts, left hand turn from right shoulder, turning the right way in the traffic

circles in La Floresta, drive 80 in a 40 on the carraterra. I am just saying part of this

problem may be created by our own driving habits and lack of paying attention to the

different rules.

Most of the time I had been stop has to do with infractions. Only two times, one on the road to Guad. and another in the Libramiento. Once was the Federales ( road to Guad) for having an illegal car in Mexico. We showed the Visa and the Spanish article of the law. The wanted to impound the car. It was until we asked for the supervisor or the police in charge that they eased on us but still insist on the car been illegal. After some sweet talking and promises to go right away to aduana in the airport to clear the mistake, they relented and let us go. We went to aduana right away and they gave us a letter attesting the car was legal as long as the visa (FM3) was up to date. The letter is in my car all the time. The other time was in front of the fire station. This guy driving a truck, heavy, tall and with a mustache stop me for no reason and wanted to impound the car. I was in a big hurry and I gave what he wanted, money. The rest of the times, it was my fault and they were right, ask for the ticket and the police comply.

Exactly and it doesn't matter whether its an FM 2, or 3. When it shows I guess 4 years you can apply to go Permanente without financials

I agree with what you are saying. We have heard the same at the INM meeting and have read it on different forums BUT the big guy at the Chapala office says different and also the lawyer of someone on this post.

We went last week for our permanent residency and we were told to get our financials. We ha­ve a four on our FM2 and we were ready to get our inmigrado. No matter how we argued with the guy, we still have to get our financials. Even if he is wrong, he sits behind the counter and receives our application . . . he is the authority so far. Who will be able to convince him that we are all right and he is wrong? As we don’t want any more hassle, we are getting our financials. It is easier and faster that way. Frustrating but easier.

Has in fact someone been through without showing financials?

It will probably be the same with cars. Many different opinions and implementations will come up and the first in line will be testing the system.

I agree with what you are saying. We have heard the same at the INM meeting and have read it on different forums BUT the big guy at the Chapala office says different and also the lawyer of someone on this post.

We went last week for our permanent residency and we were told to get our financials. We ha­ve a four on our FM2 and we were ready to get our inmigrado. No matter how we argued with the guy, we still have to get our financials. Even if he is wrong, he sits behind the counter and receives our application . . . he is the authority so far. Who will be able to convince him that we are all right and he is wrong? As we don’t want any more hassle, we are getting our financials. It is easier and faster that way. Frustrating but easier.

Has in fact someone been through without showing financials?

It will probably be the same with cars. Many different opinions and implementations will come up and the first in line will be testing the system.

We dropped our applications off last week and didn't have to provide financials. Had Prorroga 3. First went to the big guy. He checked our paperwork and gave us the form to take to the bank for payment - didn't say anything about bank statements. When we came back, we got the lady and she didn't say anything about financials either. Will have to see if they're approved.

I wonder why they no longer want us here. They seem to be doing everything they can to make it difficult for people who have lived here for years and making it very undesirable for anyone considering moving here.

I was told that, yes, they want non mexicans here, but non mexicans with money! money is the point. When guys have money they can follow the law easily! i.e. give away your car in your Country and buy a new one here! The first thing we do when we get here is ask for health charity (SP or IMSS) are like charity here for locals! there are lots of private Doctors and private hospitals that want clients! You will find that there are few people that have any problem coming here! They come and buy huge homes! but they are a few! .....

Most countries would prefer well off immigrants. Check out Canada, the U.S.A., New Zealand and Australia, to name a few.

Mexico has been letting in anyone and everyone from the U.S., some of whom are so financially marginal they create a burden on the health care system, so you can't really blame the powers that be for tightening up the entry requirements. Maybe a bit too tight for comfort, but then, it's not our call and we can't write "our senator" and get any results. That's the thing to remember.

Luckily for many of us, we're being "grandfathered" in if we kept up our FM3's and FM2's.

I really seriously doubt there are that many people here on their "charity" programs compared to those of us who pay as we go and the sizable sums we pour into this country. This morning I needed xrays - cash, last week and this Thurs a dr - cash and I won't even mention how many by comparison of "their" people we, NOB, support on free medical etc. - but then I didn't say that out loud did I?

We dropped our applications off last week and didn't have to provide financials. Had Prorroga 3. First went to the big guy. He checked our paperwork and gave us the form to take to the bank for payment - didn't say anything about bank statements. When we came back, we got the lady and she didn't say anything about financials either. Will have to see if they're approved.

Thanks for the info. It appears that the big guy says whatever suits him depending who is in front of him. I will not speak Spanish the next time, may be that will help. I have noticed many times that we get better served in English with some. Then they are not so cocky.

i know foreigners using IMSS and SP for ALL... meds, etc. , not just as safety net. wonder what percentage?

I would suggest that the number of non Mexicans using the IMSS and or SP is drop in the bucket....how many NM have you seen when you go for appointments..My guess is that you could fire a cannon and not hit one...this area and a couple of others in MX are a small microcosm of the whole system..the system is broke because of high retirement cost and low premiums and like all other country's there is an aging population

I'd add that I've been appalled during my tenure here at the conditions that absolutely guarantee future health problems. I tend to suffer from breathing problems and burning is the motto of Mexico. I've often said MXN babies are born with a book of matches in one hand and a noise maker in the other, it's just tradition.

When you visit work areas and artisans etc. there is no protection from loud noise, from inhaled smoke and when I drive to the border there are whole valleys I couldn't live in, hardly speed across. When I crest the hill going to Guad I often know I'll be hoarse and wheezing by the time I get home - and that sort of lung problem isn't unique to gringos, so you have to know they're creating thousands of future IMSS etc. patients daily, not to mention the sugar glut from Coke. And PS: I've never smoked a day in my life, but my doc had me get the Xray this morning.

And, you want to jump on a few gringos per capita that use gov health services? - I'd say that overall we more than pay our way in this country.

Sorry for venturing far astream from the car question, but at the moment that's a "no information" subject.

Archived