Chapala.com Webboard

electricity meters: digital vs. analog

bdmowers

For those who can use such, here is our recent experience with electricity and meters. Many have already experienced this. I am adding my own for the record.

We have been having a lot of trouble with our electric bill. The bills were around 600 pesos (for two month cycle) for several months. Then it jumped up to 2,000. We got CFE to check its line into the house and did our own investigation. Nothing conclusive was found. At this point, CFE decided to change our meter to digital. Our bill is now 140 pesos. Obviously, all this time with the old meter, electricity was leaking. We lost several thousand pesos in the experience. Perhaps you won't have to. I strongly advise getting a digital meter.

For those who can use such, here is our recent experience with electricity and meters. Many have already experienced this. I am adding my own for the record.

We have been having a lot of trouble with our electric bill. The bills were around 600 pesos (for two month cycle) for several months. Then it jumped up to 2,000. We got CFE to check its line into the house and did our own investigation. Nothing conclusive was found. At this point, CFE decided to change our meter to digital. Our bill is now 140 pesos. Obviously, all this time with the old meter, electricity was leaking. We lost several thousand pesos in the experience. Perhaps you won't have to. I strongly advise getting a digital meter.

bdmowers,

How does one get a digital meter?

Thanks,

Fox

I had to get one some 5 years ago when I put in solar panels. (I sell back excess power to CFE during periods of sun and buy back at night etc) In those days they cost less than $300 US.

Mine works great. But then so did my old fashioned meter before the need to upgrade

CFE made the decision to put in a digital meter because our bill had jumped up suddenly and they couldn't find anything wrong with their line going in to the house. Since the meter is property of CFE, I think the only way to get a digital meter is to ask them to put one in.

I read and record my meters (3) every day at almost the same time and living alone my habits are very staid, yet on occasion I have a sudden spike for a day, no reason known, just happens and on rare occasions I have one stick so I just bump it to get it going again, wouldn't want to cheat the CFE you know. During the warm season I usually add about 1kwh per day for use of ceiling fans.

Archived