Chapala.com Webboard

Fees for nationalizing cars: is a chart or formula available?

FESchultz

Can any of our legal advisors or old Mexico hands tell us if there is, somewhere, a published schedule of fees for nationalizing foreign-plated cars? A government formula or a chart?

We've been hearing some widely-differing prices (all expensive, some twice as much as others). Plus, mostly the process of nationalizing cars seems to be handled by a guy who knows a guy, or a behind-the-scenes broker-- not some recognized businesses.

I'm probably whistling Dixie here, but it would be nice if there was some transparency in the process-- what federal or Jalisco agency handles the process and what their published fees are supposed to be. That would help us be smarter consumers as well.

(Note-- I realize there will be facilitators' or attorney's fees on top of that, but it would be great if we could compare apples to apples.)

There are 2 steps, one is the payment of federal fees to Aduana / SAT and the other would be the license plate fees to the State of Jalisco. Generally we have had people pay $3,000 more or less for Jalisco plates but that can vary slightly on the year and value of the car. Also if you get a smog test you receive a discount so best to do so before you get your plates.

There are 2 steps, one is the payment of federal fees to Aduana / SAT and the other would be the license plate fees to the State of Jalisco. Generally we have had people pay $3,000 more or less for Jalisco plates but that can vary slightly on the year and value of the car. Also if you get a smog test you receive a discount so best to do so before you get your plates.

OK Spencer, but how do we find out how much Aduana charges? And you say $3,000 for Jalisco plates, is that pesos or USD. I heard that it is costing $2500 USD for cars, even as old as ours, which is 12 years old.

Archived