Chapala.com Webboard

Vonage, Magic Jack (plus) or Skype

hkrause

Our situation: We have family in various areas of the US, who we would like to be able to call. Would also like to make occasional calls to some companies as needed. It would be nice to have a US number where people could call us back. It would be nice to be able to select a US city for our number. We currently live in Ajijic full time and don't have a US mailing address to receive packages, but do have a Laredo forwarding address for regular mail.

We have used Skype for video calls occasionally, but it's difficult to make connections with some family members that way. So it would be nice to be able to call their regular landline and/or cell phones. I know we can get a subscription to Skype for this, but as I understand it will not support incoming calls to a US phone number unless we pay something like $60/year plus taxes/fees. Also, any calls on our end must be handled via Skype on the computer, not a regular phone. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Most people seem to have good luck with Magic Jack (and Plus version), and cost is very reasonable for service after initial purchase of the hardware. We could use a regular phone with this, and have a US number for incoming calls. I haven't dug deep enough to find out if we can select the city for our US phone number... can somebody comment? Also, they don't have an option on the website for anything other than US & Canada, although they say you can use it in other countries. So would I need to have the hardware shipped to a US address and pick it up, or have somebody send it here? Can I use a Mexico address to register and get a phone number, or would it be OK to use a HandyMail address in Laredo?

Vonage is established, will ship to Mexico, has good support, but is relatively expensive for service. I saw a thread here where somebody threatened to jump ship to MJ, and Vonage cut them a deal, but it was still $10/mo plus tax/fees. For somebody in my situation, without any such service already, is there any compelling reason to go with Vonage for the extra cost?

Thanks for input! I've seen the other threads on similar topics, but didn't really see anything specific to establishing service from with Mexico already.

Heather

we have had skype for almost 8 years and love it and yes we also have a tel number. So the Laredo address is given with this number. works like a charm. Can call anyone with skype in the world for free and a small fee like 2 cents per minute to a landline. We can dial any USA 800 number. While in France we called our friends here in Mexico on their skype also for free.

Our friends also leave an im on skype if needed.

we would not use anything else.

I have been using Google Voice with a cheap cordless phone and a phone to internet adapter for over a year in Mexico. I have had no issues, it has worked flawlessly. With Google voice as the carrier I can call anywhere in the US or Canada for free - calls to Mexican numbers are billed at $0.15 (US) per minute. I have used both Skype and Magic Jack previously and rate the Google system the best of this bunch. It has a large number of free options the other services charge for. All my voice mails are forwarded to my email account. http://www.obihai.com/

I wanted the ability to use a cheap cordless phone so I purchased an OBI device with 2 plugs – one for the phone and and Internet jack. The cost was about $45 US.

I don't know if one can enroll in Google vice outside the US – but their web site is full on information.

I have a few friends that use Vonage and are very happy with it, but in my opinion it's the more expensive option. I am presently using Magic Jack plus and I am happy with it. I also purchased a Skype Cordless Phone that requires no PC. I am not using the phone, if anyone wants to buy it. Here is a link which explains the phone:

We have Skype and our own phone number in Wyoming so friends and family can call us cheaper. I also have a few people on Skype so it is free to call them.

Lots of people have Magic Jack here also and like it.

We use skype and have for years. You want to get a skype in number and you get a choice of area code so anyone in the us calls you as if you were there. You also can get a package which give you all US and Canadian landline and cell phones for about $4 a month. We pay for that package a year at a time and that gets us a 50% discount on the skype in number making it 30 instead of 60 dollars. All calls under this setup are free. yon can get WIFI phones or skype phones that plug into the router so the computer does not have to be on to make or receive calls. Many people here are going with the new magic jack plus which plugs into the router also. Vonage is also well liked by many here.

I specifically got a Magic Jack Plus which costs $2.50 a month with the first year included in the purchase price of $54 At Fry's Electronics in the US so I could try it out. If it didn't work, even though many people on here rave about it, there are a few postings from those who have had some connection problems and got frustrated with their poor customer service, then I could sell it down here and pay $37 a month for Vonage instead, which has good customer service. Then I read about other cheaper options like Skype and GoogleVoice, so I totally discarded the idea of ever using Vonage. Occasionally you read of the Magic Jack Plus available here for $2000 pesos, so I figured I wouldn't be out any money if I was dissatisfied and wanted to sell it. They all use the same technology more or less. I am totally satisfied with my Magic Jack Plus at 7% of the cost of using Vonage.

You have to buy it in the States or Canada and have it shipped (and pay duty) or have it brought down by a traveler or order it through Amazon and have it shipped to your Mexican address, which seems to end up being the only duty free way. Yes, you can choose your area code and the first three prefix numbers from their list. You can port a previous number over to them as well.

We're using ITP, Internet Telephone Provider, which also plugs into the router, costs $9.99 per month and no contract. Quality is better than our old Vonage and you can port your old number. Using with a $12.99 Vtech phone from Walmart and so far no problems, nada.

We had Vonage but the price kept going up, up, up. We discontinued it when it got to about $30.00 a month. Vonage reception wasn't so great, cut in and out at times.We got majic Jack plus, reception is perfect. When buyng you get the first year service included which is about !9.00 a year and after a year we bought a 5 year plan for about $15.00 per year. Mucho savings with MJP and better performance.You don't have your pc turned on with MJP.

Archived